What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookin ahead to 2021-22

We know we will be starting 2 seniors and a sophomore.

The question is on whether the other 2 starting spots are manned by freshmen or sophomores. Not that big of a difference there on vet leadership/trust, so talent/chemistry-need will govern.
Based on those 3's strengths. Eli Perimeter shut down defender and good 3-5th offensive option, cutting. good spot up shooter. Evan- post scoring, defending, space eater and Jabari athleticism, scoring, energy, rebounding, pick and pop.

That tells me we need ball handling, penetration, distributor, shot creator, and probably more rebounding for the other two spots.

Really worried at who can create their own shot on this team. Right now only think KJ can. Kee at the end of last year showed glimpses.

UCLA, Oregon, USC, Arizona, ASU, CU, OSU, and Stanford are all better. They probably leapfrog the one of those teams that underachieves. 7th at best. Simples.
Yes they all have more talent than WSU but Stanford, ASU, and even Arizona (since Tommy hasn't yet) have worse coaches than Kyle Smith. WSU might be a year away but I think they can easily finish 5th this year. Oregon State didn't make the elite 8 because of talent last year.

Yes they all have more talent than WSU but Stanford, ASU, and even Arizona (since Tommy hasn't yet) have worse coaches than Kyle Smith. WSU might be a year away but I think they can easily finish 5th this year. Oregon State didn't make the elite 8 because of talent last year.
Could be, but I think that team has all the makings of a team that gets a ton of hype in the preseason, sh!ts the bed because of it and falls flat on its face. We shall see.

Based on those 3's strengths. Eli Perimeter shut down defender and good 3-5th offensive option, cutting. good spot up shooter. Evan- post scoring, defending, space eater and Jabari athleticism, scoring, energy, rebounding, pick and pop.

That tells me we need ball handling, penetration, distributor, shot creator, and probably more rebounding for the other two spots.

Really worried at who can create their own shot on this team. Right now only think KJ can. Kee at the end of last year showed glimpses.
I think we'll see Eli be more than he's been on offense. I know he's worked on it this offseason and based on his previous offseason strides I trust that he will deliver.

I think our needs are more shooting firepower. Give Jabari and Evan room to work and Eli & the guards open driving lanes. Also, force teams out of zone defense.

I do think Key is going to be better than people think now that he’s out of Kin’s shadow. It’s going to be a drop off (we are talking about arguably the greatest PG in school history) but if he can minimize the drop it will go a long way with the team.

That would be a huge loss if Allen sits all season! They were "trying to figure out what's wrong with his hip" even a few weeks ago. My guess is 'Nique & Luke get most of minutes at 3. But Julian's D, ball-handling & shooting-stroke looked tight in Costa Rica. And Javon is so pit-bull strong, he probably pushes for minutes at both 2 & 3. We could still go 11 deep, but short on size. I glad we have walk-ons at 6'10, 6'8, and 6'6, as we may need their size - just for practice!
https://twitter.com/MatMlodzinski
Mat Mlodzinski@MatMlodzinski

Some notes on @CUBuffsMBB

Javon Ruffin should be cleared to practice next week (injury).

Quincy Allen might not play this season due to an ongoing injury.

"Young and talented. Very unique roster makeup." - Tad Boyle

With how the football team is playing, “lookin’ forward” to the basketball season is all I have left.

If Nique and Luke get most of the minutes, we’re in a lot of trouble.
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

That would be a huge loss if Allen sits all season! They were "trying to figure out what's wrong with his hip" even a few weeks ago. My guess is 'Nique & Luke get most of minutes at 3. But Julian's D, ball-handling & shooting-stroke looked tight in Costa Rica. And Javon is so pit-bull strong, he probably pushes for minutes at both 2 & 3. We could still go 11 deep, but short on size. I glad we have walk-ons at 6'10, 6'8, and 6'6, as we may need their size - just for practice!

Interesting news on Allen where are you seeing/hearing this? I thought Ruffin was going to be the one out for an extended period of time.

Feel bad, missed his junior year of high school to bone spur in left knee, now this. Hopefully he recovers fully.

Interesting news on Allen where are you seeing/hearing this? I thought Ruffin was going to be the one out for an extended period of time.
See the twitter account that I posted. Matt had interview with Tad couple days ago, waiting for him to post the whole interview.

I avoided reading/ posting here for years, as it always struck me as a bunch of haters. But I've decided to ignore the hate, and hope you-all can appreciate the LUV!

I've had 6 weeks of watching video on RJ Smith (since he tweeted CU was in his final 5), & we may look back at him as a steal-with his ability to play all 3 perimeter spots. Tad doubling down on 3-guard line-up is a great move now, as 2022 is the deepest class of point guards/combo guards that I can remember. I really hope Avery Brown still signs, as we lack a true point & that would make for a truly elite guard corps! Brown has complete, 2-way game- including elite passing and leadership.

Kee, KJ, & Julian can all play 1-2 spots; Nique, Javon, & RJ can play 1-3 spots; Quincy & Luke mostly see time at 3 & 4 spots- if they can rebound & defend the 4? We have 4 more guys to defend the 4 & 5 post-spots who have super-efficient O-even if an argument can be made that Jabari & Tristan may have better mis-matches at 3 spot versus 4 spot. I'll take them as a our 2 Point/Power Forwards, especially when Lovering & Hurlburt have potential for elite passing & putting it on the deck also.

Further evidence: the only guard I've seen CU show interest in past '22 is 2023 elite shooter 6'5 Drew Steffe. Bigs/Wings Colorado is showing interest in (via twitter):
Colorado has already offered both 2023's 6'11 Baye Fall & 6'10 Assane Diop; and offered 2024 6'9 Jacob Cofie (never seen Tad make offer after Frosh year in HS!)
CU '23 interests: 6'8 Osiris Grady, 6'8 Kadyn Betts, 6'11 Gavin Mars, 6'10 Cameron Barnes, 6'10 TJ Power, 6'8 Kevin Patton Jr, 6'7 Isaiah Manning, 6'6 Malik Presley.

Baylor just won it all with a 3 guard line-up. It's a great time for Tad to trust how he's always preferred to play: multiple ball-handling guards, & stretch bigs to push it. Only question I have is do Evan & Eli lead us to 2-2 versus Creighton, UCLA, Tennessee & Kansas to be Top-25 by this December, or do we need a year or 2 to gel?

I avoided reading/ posting here for years, as it always struck me as a bunch of haters. But I've decided to ignore the hate, and hope you-all can appreciate the LUV!

I've had 6 weeks of watching video on RJ Smith (since he tweeted CU was in his final 5), & we may look back at him as a steal-with his ability to play all 3 perimeter spots. Tad doubling down on 3-guard line-up is a great move now, as 2022 is the deepest class of point guards/combo guards that I can remember. I really hope Avery Brown still signs, as we lack a true point & that would make for a truly elite guard corps! Brown has complete, 2-way game- including elite passing and leadership.

Kee, KJ, & Julian can all play 1-2 spots; Nique, Javon, & RJ can play 1-3 spots; Quincy & Luke mostly see time at 3 & 4 spots- if they can rebound & defend the 4? We have 4 more guys to defend the 4 & 5 post-spots who have super-efficient O-even if an argument can be made that Jabari & Tristan may have better mis-matches at 3 spot versus 4 spot. I'll take them as a our 2 Point/Power Forwards, especially when Lovering & Hurlburt have potential for elite passing & putting it on the deck also.

Further evidence: the only guard I've seen CU show interest in past '22 is 2023 elite shooter 6'5 Drew Steffe. Bigs/Wings Colorado is showing interest in (via twitter):
Colorado has already offered both 2023's 6'11 Baye Fall & 6'10 Assane Diop; and offered 2024 6'9 Jacob Cofie (never seen Tad make offer after Frosh year in HS!)
CU '23 interests: 6'8 Osiris Grady, 6'8 Kadyn Betts, 6'11 Gavin Mars, 6'10 Cameron Barnes, 6'10 TJ Power, 6'8 Kevin Patton Jr, 6'7 Isaiah Manning, 6'6 Malik Presley.

Baylor just won it all with a 3 guard line-up. It's a great time for Tad to trust how he's always preferred to play: multiple ball-handling guards, & stretch bigs to push it. Only question I have is do Evan & Eli lead us to 2-2 versus Creighton, UCLA, Tennessee & Kansas to be Top-25 by this December, or do we need a year or 2 to gel?
Welcome. The only hate here in the hoops threads is from delusional douche bags with drive by posts after the Buffs lose a conference road game. We’re generally pretty positive here. So just don’t ask for Tad to get fired when we inevitably lose at Washington State this season and you should be fine.

WSU may be biggest question mark of PAC-12, but I agree that Kyle Smith has already shown ability to bring together uniquely multi-skilled players in unexpected ways. And after Colorado and Arizona, WSU has the next most skilled & deep group of underclassmen in conference. WSU could surprise people.

I give Colorado the advantage to join Oregon, USC & UCLA in the top 4. OSU, WSU, Arizona & Stanford also seem to have chance at earning first-round-bye in Conference Tournament, but I don't like any of their coaching besides Kyle Smith (I have feeling Tommy Lloyd may be better fit than Sean Miller ever was at Arizona). I think Bobby Hurley hasn't shown any ability for player development or roster management, so hard to trust he'll know what to do with the talent he's pilling up.

Stanford may be next in line for great under-classmen. Isa Silva is best passer & gustiest point-guard I've seen come out of the West in a while. 4 years of Isa may move the needle more than 2 years of Zaire Williams/Harrison Ingram. +2022's Jaylen Thompson & Ryan Agarwal are long, shooting wings to continue a theme.

6 weeks ago and I was with you. Today? I can’t see it at all. We’re going to be fun and competitive but our ceiling is dramatically lower today.
Hey, Goose. What changed in the last 6 weeks? Did you get some non-public scoop or something?

Back