What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lynn Katoa Status

That said, how hard is it to pass freshman classes? There are tons of drunk and stoned freshmen who manage to do it...

i exchanged emails with ceal berry about the issue. she indicated attendance is a very large percentage of their grade. she stated that if they cannot manage to show up, there is little the university can do.

as an educator, that was just not the thing to hear (attendance as grade, are you SERIOUS?) however, she has a point. show up and have an advantage most college frosh don't. i think big george should become involved with the program. his head is on straight, and he is vocal as they come. if that could not fix the academic casualties, i am at a loss.

I hope he's not on the same track as Nate Viamounga was on! Brian Cabral needs to jar some sense into these kids!

Listen, I don't know jack **** about anything that is going on. I don't go to recruiting sites or any of that stuff. I like all of you, but this entire thread sucks. I mean, this is the kind of stuff that gives message boards a bad name. Just tons of innuendo. I mean, maybe Hawk is trying to put pressure on him or send him a message that he's got to work hard. Hell, I don't know. I guess you guys who pay for info know more than the rest of us. :huh:

Last edited:
Listen, I don't know jack **** about anything that is going on. I don't go to recruiting sites or any of that stuff. I like all of you, but this entire thread sucks. I mean, this is the kind of stuff that gives message boards a bad name. Just tons of innuendo. I mean, maybe Hawk is trying to put pressure on him or send him a message that he's got to work hard. Hell, I don't know. I guess you guys who pay for info know more than the rest of us. :huh:

Relax DBT. Everyone is just airing their opinions on the matter. This isn't a life or death deal here. It's what you do on an internet message board. No one here has bashed this young man at all.

Relax DBT. Everyone is just airing their opinions on the matter. This isn't a life or death deal here. It's what you do on an internet message board. No one here has bashed this young man at all.

Relax? Me? Relax? :lol:

Trust me DBT. They don't.

Like SanDiego Buff said to me:smile2: , Having a subscription to a pay board doesn't make me anymore knowledgeable than anyone else here. I agree 110%. I'm just a fan like everyone else here.

The last time he said the same thing was with Gates.

What is Hawk's favorite saying? Once is a mistake, more then once is a trend....

I think the insight is there somewhere.

Passing classes at CU - particularly freshman classes - outside of particular programs, such as engineering, etc., is not difficult. All you need to do is get C's. That is not hard...

Not insulting anyone but at some point it's simply a matter of effort. You can get C's at CU putting in a very minimal amount of work. All you have to do is half-ass your homework and sort-of-study for tests.

Passing classes at CU - particularly freshman classes - outside of particular programs, such as engineering, etc., is not difficult. All you need to do is get C's. That is not hard...

Not insulting anyone but at some point it's simply a matter of effort. You can get C's at CU putting in a very minimal amount of work. All you have to do is half-ass your homework and sort-of-study for tests.

If you show up to every class, I agree with that nearly 100%. The only exception to that rule that I found was the foregin language classes. I just sucked at those and had to take 3 of them worth 4 credit hours a piece. Those classes can really suck!

Anyway, point is, from my experience and two years of working with Freshmen, I have found that most people have a class or two that proves to be the equivalent of an academic sucker punch. CU is not a push over school and if folks don't figure that out, and learn how to deal with it, they don't belong at CU. Hopefully this kid figures out where his classes are, and learns how to set his alarm, and he should be on his way back to the football field. If he can't then pull his schollie and give it to someone who can.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I found the difference between high school and college to be immense, academically speaking. I barely had to put any effort at all into my classwork in high school, but I soon found out that putting forth that same effort in college was an express ticket to failure. I think some kids have a harder time adjusting to college than others.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I found the difference between high school and college to be immense, academically speaking. I barely had to put any effort at all into my classwork in high school, but I soon found out that putting forth that same effort in college was an express ticket to failure. I think some kids have a harder time adjusting to college than others.

Yeah, it pretty much took me my first year to adjust. Not that college was particularly tough, but high school was just that easy.

Not in Symbolic Logic

That class was :wow: :wow: :wow:

Yep, I was talking about all the others who have been in that boat the past 1-2 years. I'm going to be really pissed if Katoa (or Major or Polk, etc) ends up with the rest of them.

I'd be surprised if he transferred, but stranger things have happened, that's for sure.

If its academic he'll likely have bad jou jous on his report card and end up at a JC or mid major school. These guys are required to show up to study table in Dal Ward on a daily basis. I'd assume they get some help there if they need it.

I go on the recruiting sites, but :dito: x 1000. There are the same threads going on on the rivals board as well. A bunch of people jumping to conclusions off one Hawk statement. Non-sense. This is how ridiculous rumors get started, that force people like Scott to publicly say that he is not transferring. Just a bunch of idots on a message board starting rumors so they can sound like they know something.

his status says: Lynn Katoa is sore from lifting and nervous about an upcoming exam.

oh...are we not talking about his facebook status? :wow: :lol:

(kidding...i've never seen his facebook)

his status says: Lynn Katoa is sore from lifting and nervous about an upcoming exam.

oh...are we not talking about his facebook status? :wow: :lol:

(kidding...i've never seen his facebook)

He is no longer my facebook friend. I also searched for his profile and it wasn't there so I think he deleted it.

I dunno when it happened, but after ruffy posted, I checked just then and it wasn't there. So who knows...

Damn. I was wondering if you noticed this soon after his altercation (which would make sense for PR issues) or recently (which would be bad foreshadowing). Oh well. :huh:

If its academic he'll likely have bad jou jous on his report card and end up at a JC or mid major school. These guys are required to show up to study table in Dal Ward on a daily basis. I'd assume they get some help there if they need it.

They get all the tutoring they need. My own kid didn't get Organic Chemistry (PreMed) - another University. Got a tutor that wasn't any good. Got another one that was great. Kid got an A. If the kid wasn't an athlete, would have been a C....

It's all there, but as it was stated earlier.... You can't force them to go to class. You can make them go to study table, but you can't make them learn.

And maybe Hawk has tried everything he can think of to get katoa to get his act together and nothing has worked. I'm sure we all havn't heard the end of this and all the other players that are accademiclie marginal.

They get all the tutoring they need. My own kid didn't get Organic Chemistry (PreMed) - another University. Got a tutor that wasn't any good. Got another one that was great. Kid got an A. If the kid wasn't an athlete, would have been a C....

It's all there, but as it was stated earlier.... You can't force them to go to class. You can make them go to study table, but you can't make them learn.

interesting comment. one of the study table rules is no sleeping. that has me wonder what trend prompted that rule. they have a system in place to help those kids. some decline on the chance.

i think that more forethought can go into matching up learning styles of each athlete with a tutor who likes to employ that mode. but athletes do have a good setup: they are forced to go to an area where people want to help them learn.

EDIT: i want to be crystal clear i am not speaking of katoa, and am uncomfortable as another poster in this thread who commented on the gossipy nature of this thread. i think that one comment should not be hacked out of context.

Last edited:
Back