What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mark Kennedy new, but soon to be old CU President - Official CU president Thread

Odds he makes it across finish line? Slightly better than coin flip in my opinion.

I am also glad that he addressed the voting record. Not that he’d say anything else, but I am glad that he indicated that his POV has changed.

What he did not address: why did major donors at his former employer view him so negatively? This is still a major worry.

Lots of negativity surrounding this. I’m curious if CU ignores it or if they listen to the people who are the sole reason they even have the position they do. Without the donors, students, faculty and alumni you would just have an empty campus making no money.

“She’s on vacation so bless her for taking a call” GTFO, she’s the ****ing Chair on the Board of Regents of a $4B institution that is going through the most important process bestowed upon her board. The fact that she’s taking a vacation right now should be scrutinized, not praised that she’s taking calls while on it.

I don't know why I had faith that the regents would get this right...

This is a gigantic fuster cluck. Naming him a finalist without being able to fully vet him is asinine. I don't care what kind of article was being written about him in ND. It isn't hard to say "CU has not named a a finalist, as we are still in the vetting and interviewing stage"

Our Regents and this process are an embarrassment to the University. Rushed my ass and asking the public and press to vette him when it was their freaking job is so weak. They all need to go as does this archaic regent system the State of Colorado uses. Un****ing real

The worst part is that I really like Heidi Ghanal, but she has been publicly supportive of the decision and hasn’t mentioned anything about the hesitation or the process. It just seems like it was such none of the Regents are on the same page or actually know what’s going on

The vote on this will be fascinating. Remember that we have two regents who made a protest vote against an African American football coach for..... Reasons.

Will they turn around and vote Yes on a white guy to run the University who has all this baggage?

The vote on this will be fascinating. Remember that we have two regents who made a protest vote against an African American football coach for..... Reasons.

Will they turn around and vote Yes on a white guy to run the University who has all this baggage?
Baggage is in the eye of the beholder, akin to the perceptions and interpretations of many of our most critical political issues. It is pretty clear where this is headed where this man, for better or for worse, will be indicted and tried in the court of public opinion. His reputation will more than likely be trampled and I assume more accusations, proven or not, will surface. Those that do not want him will mobilize to encourage and promote a negative picture of the man...which will be promulgated as the truth. Like the recent supreme court nomination hearings, accusations can be made and don't necessarily have to be proven. Sides will be drawn, and the I fear feckless leadership at CU that is the Regents will more than likely do the politically expedient thing rather than leading with conviction. If they back away now without clear and unequivocal evidence of either unprofessional, unethical or unscrupulous behavior, it will mean that we are living under mob rules.

Last edited:
This s starting to have a distinct Greg Schiano to Tennessee vibe.

That’s a slap in the face to Greg Schiano. UND is done with Kennedy. Think about that. CU is taking UND’s scraps. If he doesn’t get the CU job he’s unemployed.

Baggage is in the eye of the beholder, akin to the perceptions and interpretations of many of our most critical political issues. It is pretty clear where this is headed where this man, for better or for worse, will be indicted and tried in the court of public opinion. His reputation will more than likely be trampled and I assume more accusations, proven or not, will surface. Those that do not want him will mobilize to encourage and promote a negative picture of the man...which will be promulgated as the truth. Like the recent supreme court nomination hearings, accusations can be made and don't necessarily have to be proven. Sides will be drawn, and the I fear feckless leadership at CU that is the Regents will more than likely do the politically expedient thing rather than leading with conviction. If they back away now without clear and unequivocal evidence of either unprofessional, unethical or unscrupulous behavior, it will mean that we are living under mob rules.

So just accept a questionable choice because you are uncomfortable with a potential university president receiving public scrutiny? Really?

Forget all the political implications and tell me with a straight face this guy is a good to great hire on his resume alone.

They held out/voted against Tucker’s contract because they are anti spending big money on football/athletics, not because he’s black. But, you’re right, if you play the race card, people will agree with you and be big mad about it.

They held out/voted against Tucker’s contract because they are anti spending big money on football/athletics, not because he’s black. But, you’re right, if you play the race card, people will agree with you and be big mad about it.
When you go all in on an agenda, you better expect the heat.

in this political climate, I don’t think a staunchly conservative voting record is going to cut it. Right or wrong, they should probably just cut bait now, and reopen the search.

When that happens, I think you will get an anti athletics President.

This is the new reality. Anyone appointed to just about any public position will have every aspect of their life going as far back as any record exists put under a microscope.

Those with social or political agendas will paint the most negative picture they can by focusing only on the things that support their world view.

This hire is about finding someone who can lead a university system. It isn’t just CU Boulder. The system includes all CU campuses. He will be focused on profitability, and CU’s academic standing. That means bringing in or maintaining the best professors and students as possible. He is not going to be focused on sociopolitical issues.

Here is what the responsibilities of a University President are (taken from another Pac 12 Universities web site):

“The president is responsible for creating the blueprint and building the commitment that leads the University toward fulfillment of its long-term goals. The strategic plan identifies the current goals and strategies in place to advance the University’s aspiration of becoming one of the nation’s leading universities.

Another major responsibility of the president is to lead the institution in the acquisition of resources, focusing particularly on the development and implementation of initiatives to attract new sources of financial support. The president works collaboratively with the Board of Regents, faculty, staff, and strategic partners to identify and articulate federal funding priorities and set the priorities of future private fundraising campaigns.

The president also guides important governance precedents involving our role as a statewide university with five campuses and multiple delivery systems evolves.
The president directs an executive leadership team that includes:
  • Executive Vice President and Provost
  • Vice President for Development and CEO of the University Foundation
  • Vice President for External Affairs and Government Relations
  • Vice President for Finance and Administration
  • Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer
  • Vice President for International Programs
  • Vice President for Research
  • Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students
  • Vice President for the Global Campus
  • Associate Vice President/Chief Budget Officer
  • Director of Intercollegiate Athletics
  • Director of Internal Audit
  • Chancellors of all campuses
The president is responsible for the development of a comprehensive and responsible budget that is used to advance the institution’s strategic goals and priorities. The president is also responsible for overseeing both human and financial resources in a manner that ensures accountability.”

Is your point DBT that this a great candidate that is getting railroaded for being a conservative?

Is your point DBT that this a great candidate that is getting railroaded for being a conservative?
I think that my biggest hangup with Kennedy is that even if I put everything to the side regarding concerns about organizational culture -- I can't find a single thing to suggest that he is good at attracting donors or corporate research partnerships for raising money. Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that? My impression of him is that he's a budget slasher you bring in for an enterprise that is troubled due to financial inefficiencies.

Last edited:
I think that my biggest hangup with Kennedy is that even if I put everything to the side regarding concerns about organizational culture -- I can't find a single thing to suggest that he is good at attracting donors or corporate research partnerships for raising money. Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that? My impression of him is that he's a budget slasher you bring in for an enterprise that is troubled due to financial inefficiencies.
So, basically his politics are not relevant?

:p

Last edited by a moderator:
So, basically his politics are not relevant?

:p
All kidding aside, if you say that politics are irrelevant to you then you're saying you'd hire a David Duke type if you knew he could bring in money. The politics matters. I'm saying that if you can adequately address the politics so that you're confident that it won't negatively impact the ability to do the job and won't drive an unwelcome shift in organizational culture, then we can move on to the abilities and qualifications for the specific job responsibilities.

When will the powers that be learn that their first stop on all hiring decisions should be Allbuffs?

Legit concerns

Last edited by a moderator:
Back