What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Match Thread- Soccer in 2nd round of NCAA Tournament @ #1 North Carolina (Friday, 11/22, 4:00 PM MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Go shock the #1 ranked Tar Heels Buffs!!!

Preview-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/11/20/soccer-going-to-carolina.aspx

"
By: Seth Pringle, Assistant SID

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – For the second consecutive game, the Colorado soccer team will face a UNC in the NCAA Tournament. This time around it is the top-seeded North Carolina Tar Heels.

Colorado (12-7-2) and North Carolina (20-1-1) will play a second-round NCAA Tournament match for the third time in the last six seasons. The two teams previously played in 2014 and 2017, both 1-0 matches in favor of North Carolina.

Six current Buffs played in the 2017 tournament. Senior Jalen Tompkins, then a sophomore, made seven saves in the match. Bridgette Andrzejewski, now a senior, scored the only goal of the match in the 26th minute.

"A lot of our players have been there in the past," head coach Danny Sanchez commented. "We have had a couple of 1-0 results at their place. I don't think the moment is going to be too big for us. We play a lot of great teams in our league."

The Buffaloes hope to carry over the strong offensive showing they displayed against Northern Colorado. CU had six different players score goals in the win against the Bears, including first-career goals from freshmen Jade Babcock-Chi and Kyla Ferry. The Buffs 18 points against Northern Colorado was the most in an NCAA Tournament games and tied for the fifth-most in program history.
"We are excited to get out there," Sanchez added. "They have a brand-new facility. It will be a great crowd. This is why we play [to get to the tournament]. UNC has a great team, but we have a great team as well. We are excited about the opportunity. We are getting healthy and players are stepping into their roles and performing."

The Buffs' first-round win lifted CU's all-time NCAA Tournament record to an even .500 (10-10-1). Colorado has twice made it to the Sweet Sixteen with the team's last appearance coming in 2013.

"We're ready," senior Stephanie Zuniga stated. "At this point, we're going to go in there play our game, have fun and play our hearts out. It's going to be such a good atmosphere and like I said, energy and atmosphere is everything. Although it's home for them, it's going to be fun. It's going to be exciting and we're ready to just go and have fun and make it happen."

The Tar Heels had a five-goal output in their first-round match against Belmont. North Carolina outshout Bruins a staggering 44-0. 19 of UNC's shots were on target. The Tar Heels have now advanced past the first round in 38 consecutive seasons.

Seven Tar Hell players have recorded at least 10 points this season. Brianna Pinto leads the team with 24 points (10 g, 4 a). Alessia Russo is the team's top goal-scorer, boasting 11 goals this season. Andrzejewski rounds out the top-three scorers with 18 points ( 6 g, 6 a).

Colorado is 0-5-0 all-time against North Carolina. The two teams first met when the Tar Heels traveled to Boulder in 1998.

Friday's game will be broadcast on ACC Network Extra at 4 p.m. MT. The winner will move on in the tournament and face either Michigan or Texas Tech on Sunday.
"

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Match Notes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2019/11/18//NCAA_2_Notes.pdf

Match Media links -

Live video -
Match is being shown live on ACC Network Extra (ACCN X). For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that streaming service (Assume maybe through getting the main ACC Network?), assume the match will be streamable at https://www.espn.com/watch?id=28baf757-c9cf-40cb-bf21-a3285793dd86 . (I assume there's a more direct link than this, but couldn't find it yet via a very quick search. Selfishly, looks like I'm set up fine as the match is already showing up as a selection I'll be able to watch live on my TV through the Sling service/ app (with the sports package,although it is a bummer no ESPN content seems to allows recording in Sling).)

Link to link to live stats - https://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=unc

Last edited:
Tompkins with 3-4 GREAT saves (and she got assist from the bar late), and the Buffs, although not having a serious scoring chance, have at least had a few play opportunities in their offensive-end. It's 0-0 at the half.

Thank you so much to the GREAT senior class. They're going to be hard to replace. Hope the remaining Buffs, and the top 10 ranked incoming recruiting class, have a good rest of the semester, and get ready to get better whenever training starts again in the winter/ spring.

great season and great game to finish the season. Their inability to score was their problem all season and against great teams such as NC and Stanford you have to put pressure on them or you will lose. Got to start figuring that out for next year

Decided to post yesterday's post-match article after their great effort-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/11/22/soccer-tompkins-shines-in-buffs-loss-at-unc.aspx

"
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – Jalen Tompkins stood on her head in net, literally and figuratively, for Colorado, but her effort was not enough to extend Colorado's season. The Buffaloes' run the NCAA Women's Soccer Tournament came to an end at top-seeded and No. 2 ranked North Carolina on Friday. Colorado battled to the end but ended up on the short-end of the 1-0 decision.

Tompkins had a night to remember in her final game in a Colorado jersey. She impressed all 4,235 fans in attendance, making nine saves. The third-year captain finishes her career as CU's all-time leader in saves (369) and wins (49).

Stephanie Zuniga, Kelsey Aaknes, Camilla Shymka and Taylor Kornieck also wrapped up their CU careers on Friday. This graduating class leaves as one of the most successful in program history, having made three NCAA Tournament appearances. Kornieck, who turned 21 on Friday, leaves Colorado as the program's all-time points leader, amassing 102 career points. She is also tied for the team lead with 24 career assists and ranks second with 39 career goals.

The Buffs finished the year with 12-8-2 record. North Carolina (21-1-1) advances to take on Michigan on Sunday.

BY THE NUMBERS:
Colorado
Goals:
Shots: 5
Fouls: 6
Saves: 9

North Carolina
Goals:
Shots: 20
Fouls: 14
Saves: 1

Notes: Colorado has played North Carolina in three NCAA Tournament matches, all 1-0 results for the Tar Heels…CU is now 6-5 in NCAA Tournament games under Coach Sanchez and 10-11-1 all-time…CU went 2-5 against ranked teams this season…Tompkins started her 82nd career game in net (1st) and played her 85 career game (1st).

Quotes
Head coach
Danny Sanchez
On Jalen Tompkins
"It was a world-class performance. The one goal they had, was kind of just a bouncing ball that she didn't really see until was by her. Credit to the North Carolina girl. It was a great hit. Everything she [JJ] saw she dealt with. I've never seen a better performance by any goalkeeper. It couldn't be prouder of JJ but it's not a big surprise because we know what her quality is."

On Colorado's game plan

"I thought the players really bought into the game plan and kept the game tied which is what we wanted to do. It was disappointing to give up the goal early in the second half but it gave us some time to make some tactical adjustments and I thought the last 20 minutes, especially the players really bought into it. We just didn't have quite enough. We put a lot of pressure on them and something needed to fall away and unfortunately, it didn't. It was just an all-around fantastic team effort."

On Taylor Kornieck and the seniors
"I think Taylor showed once again that she's one of the top players in college soccer. The way she just dominates the game on both ends of the ball is just something that I've never seen or coached. The way she bought into what we asked her to do today which is a little bit more of a deeper-lying role, more of a playmaker was just fantastic. I told the team inside [the locker room] the five seniors—what they brought after last year's disappointment not making it [NCAA Tournament] and to battle through some adversity this year. It says a lot about them as people. Three out of four years the NCAA Tournament, advancing every time and putting themselves in a position, like I told the team, put themselves in a position to hurt because sometimes, if you don't compete you don't put the effort in you don't get hurt like this. It hurts, but, they need to be proud of what they did because they set the program back where we need to be as we continue to compete for championships."

On the season
"It's tough to get in the tournament. It's tough to advance. It's tough to come here and get a result and they responded to every challenge we gave them throughout the year. The Pac-12 was brutal this year, we saw that. We had fine margins, with this team this year. Everybody bought into their role and the players on the bench and the staff and everybody that's what we're about. So now the vision is we are losing five great seniors and its time or these other players to step up and put themselves in the position to play a game like this next year and hopefully advance."

Senior Taylor Kornieck
On Colorado's effort
"I have no words for this team. The laid it on the field. I will remember this team until the day I die. I love them so much. I'm so proud of them."

On CU's late push
"I think we had a lot of chances coming for us. They had a great shot and I'll give them credit for that one but I feel like we responded right. I think we came out and pressed them even harder and we got a couple of really good chances. There's not much else you can do."

On Jalen Tompkins
"She is incredible. The saves she had kept us in the game. She was player of the match for sure."

Senior Jalen Tompkins
On her final game
"I was just excited about the game. My brother told me you're either nervous or you're excited. It's the same feeling. I just kind of took that as excitement. I mean I've watched North Carolina play since I was a kid. The coaches are awesome. I knew this game was going to a great game. The coaches prepared us for it, and I think the defense played really well. The midfield and forwards [too]. I just had to come in and play my game."

On gaining confidence as the game went on
"This is why you come to Colorado. You come to Colorado to play against the best teams— the Stanford's, the UCLA's the USC's and the North Carolina's. It's fun, it's the reason I play. It's the reason my teammates love me, and I love my teammates. We all get hyped off of things like that. When they block a shot, I get as hyped as they do for me. I feed off of it and I feel like I'm unstoppable and then the team feels unstoppable. I think we had a lot of good momentum going into the half."

On the senior class
"I think it says a lot about this program. I wanted to come to Colorado to make history and that couldn't happen without every single player in my class. Every single one of them did something that brought this program to the next level, Right now I'm sad because it's over, but I'm so proud of the seniors. I mean they worked through injuries comebacks, like I said my senior speech switching majors, boyfriend stuff you know they all came back and put their all on the field for four, four and a half years for Steph and I. I'm just so proud and I'm disappointed because it's over but I'll always smile when I think about my time here."
"
_________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-soccer/stats/2019/north-carolina/boxscore/13328

Also, wanted to mention Pac 12 soccer overall has equated itself very well at the tournament so far. After round 1, the Pac was 7-2. (The ACC was 8-1, so almost half of the teams making it to the 2nd round were from one of those 2 conferences.) The tournament is now at the quarterfinals (AKA "Elite 8" for March Madness) stage (matches are this Friday), and 1/2 the teams remaining are from the Pac. Traditional powers Stanford, UCLA and USC are still going strong, and unseeded WSU is also still in it and may be the team of the tournament so far after upsetting Regional #1 seed and defending National Champion Virginia in the 2nd round.

For the semis and finals (called the College Cup in soccer), the schedule looks to have the semis on Friday, December 6th, with the final 12/8. Assuming some or all win their quarterfinal matches, Stanford (and to a lesser degree USC and UCLA) may have at least some home field advantage, as the final 4 is being held at the home field for the San Jose, CA MLS club. (USC won the Championship last time it was held at that stadium in 2016.)

Back