What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches thread- (RV) Volleyball hosting Oakland (Friday, 9/20, 7:00), UMBC (Sat., noon) and Campbell (Sat., 7:30)

nice 3 wins but not impressed with the competition. I really wish there was 1 good team in these tourneys.

Article after this evening's win.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/9/21/...eeps-campbell-for-colorado-classic-title.aspx

"
BOULDER – Colorado women's volleyball closed out the non-conference schedule winning the 2019 Colorado Classic Tournament with a 3-0 (25-10, 25-14, 25-21) sweep of Campbell University Saturday evening.

The Buffaloes (8-2) are 24-2 in set wins in the eight wins this season heading into conference play next week. The team had another dominating performance offensively with a .337 hitting percentage, but also was strong defensively, holding Campbell (6-6) to a .058 hitting percentage.

Senior Justine Spann led the way with a dozen kills and a .241 hitting percentage today. She closed out the tournament with 51 kills in 10 sets to lead Colorado. Freshman Sterling Parker had a strong errorless night as well, swinging 18 times without giving up a point and putting down 10 kills in the process. Both were named to the Colorado Classic All-Tournament Team.

In just her 10th match with the Buffaloes, Meegan Hart secured her place as the Colorado Classic Most Valuable Player after hitting seven kills with a .545 hitting percentage. Hart was a killing machine, notching 24 kills on just 36 swings for a .611 hitting percentage. She also added 11 blocks.

With the passing on, sophomore setter Jenna Ewert was dishing out dimes tonight like she had the past two matches. Ewert had 29 assists, capping her tournament total at 117 (11.7 per set). She also had 24 digs and eight blocks in the three matches.

In the backrow, Rachel Whipple led the Buffaloes with eight digs. Jill Schneggenburger added seven digs to go along with her eight kills in a matchup against her older sister. Spann was second on the team with three blocks tonight as CU put down 7.5 total blocks.

Colorado has a short turnaround heading into Pac-12 conference play. The team travels to Salt Lake City to take on No.18-ranked Utah before heading to Corvallis to take on Oregon State Friday night.

QUOTES
HEAD COACH JESSE MAHONEY

On Tonight's Match
"I thought it was a good match, especially after playing three this weekend and playing the previous game until three in the afternoon I thought our team did a really nice job of coming back mentally and physically, and starting the match out playing at a really high level and sustaining it throughout the game. Campbell has a couple really nice players and we slowed them down as the match went on. In general, we finished our out of conference play at 8-2 and I felt like we had a couple of really good wins during that stretch. I also I feel like we accomplished our big goal, which was to get better overall and continue to get better as we head into Pac-12 play, which starts next week. The Pac-12 is ranked the number one RPI conference in the country, so it will be a challenge but we're looking forward to it."

On The Upcoming Week
"They get a day off then we are in film on Monday and prep practice for Utah. Then we travel on Tuesday. That is the life of a student athlete. It is what it is. Utah is doing the same thing. We'll have to prepare ourselves mentally and physically for that. We finish the road trip at Oregon State which is never an easy place to play. Our first two weeks are on the road in the PAC-12 so we better get used to it. We'll definitely do that."

On Utah
"They have one of the best players in the conference in my opinion in Dani Drews. They redshirted one of the best middles last year due to injury and she is back. That makes them better. They have another lefty, Kenzie Koerber, who is playing at a really high level. They have a top-ten win under their belt this season. They are a really good. Every team we are going to play has three great players on it and then the next wave is really good as well. We have already prepped for them and have film ready to go and will implement a game plan on Monday and do our best to execute it."

SOPHOMORE SETTER JENNA EWERT

On Improved Passing This Weekend
"We haven't passed that well all season. I don't think I've ever played in a game where we've passed that well. It was a lot of fun to have that much freedom. There is a different type of connection with your hitters. We all have the confidence that we are going to get a good pass. Whoever I set is going to get a kill. You get into a groove. That is a special thing that you don't always get to experience. That was really good after the weekend we came off of to start like that."

On Growing A Connection With Her Hitters
"Every time you play a game the connection with your hitters grow. You learn what they like and what the need. They learn what to expect from me. You grow every time you play together. I learned a lot, especially with Meegan (Hart), about what she is capable of and where I can put the ball. I can feel what is going on. Having a solid connection with her (Hart) is really good. I trust going to the middles even more. It is really nice to have that connection with your middles going into PAC-12 and playing such good teams. You need to have something you can depend on."

REDSHIRT SOPHOMORE MIDDLE MEEGAN HART

On Being Named MVP And Starting Off Her Career At CU So Strong
"It means a lot, it's really special to me. My teammates have been amazing and obviously I couldn't have done it without them. Today our passing was great so Jenna could set to me, and she delivered awesome, so it just means a lot and it feels really good.

On The Team's Strong Defensive Performance
"It gives us a little more confidence. We are going to see some great hitters. The more reps we get the better."
"
______________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wvball&id=13025

Post match press conference -

The two tournaments that CU hosted were not good preparation type competition for the Pac-12. I wonder if Jesse has the same issues as hoops about getting quality opponents to come to Boulder? The Big 1G/Pac-12 challenge is good preparation and the CSU matches, even though we got beat, were good preparation.

Beat Utah!

When Jesse talked before CSU he said both schools had trouble getting good RPI teams to come to the state, that was why they did the back to back. I just do not understand why teams like Kansas, Iowa St or teams in Texas don't schedule it every now and then. I also know Sanchez has said the same thing with soccer. Tough to get good teams to do a home and home.

I am with you on not understanding why teams from the Big 12 won't come to Colorado.

I also wonder if the cost of travel is the reason schools don't want to come or what is the problem.

Would it be better to play on the road one more weekend and play better competition. I understand this year some of the issue was probably having so many new players, but the teams they played this past weekend are nothing like what they will face in the Pac-12.

I am sure cost has issues but going from kansas City or Norman to Denver can not be any more than going to east coast and such. Last year the WBB played a team in the pre-season that was little more than a high school team and UMBC was the same.

Back