What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches thread - (RV) Volleyball visits Cal (Wednesday, 8:00 MT) and #2 Stanford (Friday, 8:00 MT)

Buffs win the 3rd 29-27! (Looking at Stanford's schedule, looks like that's the 3rd set Stanford has lost all year in 9 home matches, and 2nd in conference.)

Buffs win a marathon 4th set 29-27 on a block.

It's going 5!

(This is only the 2nd 5 setter all season for stanford; the other one was back on August 29th when they suffered their lone loss against now #1 ranked BYU in Provo.)

Last edited:
Stanford wins 9-15 (lowlighted by 3 straight blocks for the imposing trees for their 12th-14th points).

Still a GREAT effort by the Buffs. Just need to take that play and confidence the rest of the way to secure their (still uphill battle to a) tournament berth.

Last edited:
I wish I had watched this match. Sounds like the Buffs played very well in Palo Alto. Keep it up the rest of the season.

Article on yesterday's match-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/11/3/volleyball-buffs-nearly-pull-off-miracle-upset.aspx

"

STANFORD, Calif. – Friday evening the University of Colorado women's volleyball team took No.2-ranked Stanford to five-sets on the road, becoming just the second team to bring the powerhouse to five this season and first to do so as an unranked opponent in Stanford in more than two years.

Things did not look good for the Buffs after dropping the first two sets 25-19 and 25-21, but a resilient Colorado team battled to comeback in sets three and four by a score of 29-27. The Cardinal finished out the match with an 8-1 run with six-straight points to end the improbable comeback.

Stanford has only been pushed to five-sets one other time this season, a match on the road against BYU who took the No.1-ranking title from the Cardinal and have yet to relinquish it. This is also the first time in school history that CU has forced a fifth-set on the road against Stanford. With the loss Colorado falls to 14-11 with a 6-8 mark in conference play. Stanford remains unbeaten in the Pac-12 and are a win away from clinching the conference championship with five matches remaining.

Junior outside Justine Spann had a career-night while going head-to-head against the reigning AVCA Player of the Year in Kathryn Plummer. Spann led all players with a career-high 24 kills and posted a .304 hitting percentage. She had a kill more than Plummer who hit .232 in the match.

Also for the Buffs, Alexa Smith came on late with 12 kills in the third and fourth sets to lead CU to a fifth-set. After starting with just four kills in the first two sets, Smith had seven kills in the third and five in the fourth to finish with 17 overall.

Setter Jenna Ewert captured a double-double with a career-high 53 assists. She also tied Rachel Whipple for most digs on the team with 15.

QUOTABLES:

Head Coach Jesse Mahoney

On the match
"It was a really well played match with a great atmosphere. Stanford is the best team in the country. Our kids definitely got up for it and I thought they played really hard. I thought for long stretches of that match we played some of our best volleyball of the season, which was really good to see. To have a chance to get to five and have a chance to close it out, I was really proud of how we played."

On Justine Spann's career night
"I wish Justine played against Stanford every night because she has great matches every time she plays them. She got on the ball really fast tonight, hitting high and hard. I thought Jenna gave her really nice tempo. J had a really nice match and came up big."

On Jenna Ewert's performance
"We have the luxury of having two really good setters. Right now Brynna is out, but I think Jenna is blossoming and she gets better every time she gets out there. She is a perfectionist. She wants to be the best setter she can be and she is pushing herself to do that. I thought she was fantastic tonight in all phases."

On what the match means to the team moving forward
"At the end we spoke about that (level of play and confidence). We talked about how this is a level we need to play at for the rest of the Pac-12 season and the remaining six matches. If we can do that good things will happen for us. We need to put some wins in the win column coming up here. Hopefully we see that we can play at a high level consistently and now we need to go out and do it."

UP NEXT: CU hosts a pair of must-win matches against Arizona State and Arizona this upcoming weekend. Sunday's match at noon is senior day and will be the last home match for Alexa Smith, Naghede Abu and Gabby Carta-Samuels.

SCENARIOS: Tonight's match will open many people's eyes to the potential that CU can play up to. With the season winding down, Colorado currently sits on the bubble for the NCAA tournament selection committee. Colorado has three teams that are currently ranked in the top-25 remaining on their schedule in Arizona, Oregon and UCLA. Next weekend will be the last chance CU can utilize home-court advantage before finishing the season with four matches in eight days on the road in Oregon and then to UCLA and Utah. The Buffs margin of error gets smaller as the season winds down, so virtually every match is a must-win.
"
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wvball&id=11362

Pac 12 Networks Recap -

Some nice comments on Volleytalk about the Buffs and how they played last night. Also saying a timeout wasn't called soon enough in the 5th set.

I have thought that Jesse is slow to call timeouts in the past. In the 5th set, it can't wait.

I hope to see this same level of play in the final 6 matches of the conference season. If they do that, they have a good shot at getting enough wins to make it into the NCAA.

Congratulations to Jenna Ewert Pac-12 Freshman of the Week

Last edited:
Just looked on the Pac-12 website. Jenna Ewert is the first Colorado player to be honored as a Pac-12 player of the week this season.

Last edited:
Back