What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- Soccer scheduled to open the 2021 season hosting CSU (Thurs., 8/19, 4:00 MT) & in Denver to face Colorado College (Sunday, Noon MT)

Article after the team earns its 2nd opening season win of the season.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/8/22/soccer-buffs-open-season-in-golden-fasion.aspx

"
DENVER – After not getting to conclude the original season-opener on Thursday, the Colorado College Tigers made sure the Colorado Buffaloes were going to get their money's worth in Denver on Sunday. The Tigers took the Buffs to the 98th minute before Shyra James sent CU home with the victory.

"Every time we play Colorado College it's been like this," head coach Danny Sanchez said in relief. "A couple of times it has gone to overtime, but it has always been a one-goal game. We knew it was going to be very tight."

Colorado (1-0) improved to 15-6-5 all-time in season-openers, making sure to wrap up the win in memorable fashion. After a 0-0 end to regulation, the Buffs began to press in the overtime, earning three corner opportunities. CU made sure there wouldn't be a fourth chance.

"It was just corner after corner," James said postgame. "I tried to just keep going to the middle and I turned my head and Jayden [Newkirk] headed it right back to the middle. It was and Kayleigh [Webb] that went up and I kind of hit her out of the way and it [the ball] just hit me and went in."

"Every game is an NCAA tournament game," Sanchez explained. "We know that the schedule we've lined up. It's our most competitive non-conference schedule since I've been here. So maybe we're tightened up a little bit when we didn't get that early goal. I think that early goal on Thursday against Colorado State we relaxed and today I think we're pressing. We didn't create a lot in the first half. I thought we did more in the second half and then obviously in overtime."

CU's three corner chances in the overtime all came in the three minutes of play. Rachel Rosen sent off the final chance from the near sideline, getting the ball to bounce off Jayden Newkirk and James for the golden goal.

Up Next
Colorado has a week to prepare for its now official home-opener next Sunday. The Buffs will welcome in No. 1 Florida State for an 11:30 a.m. MT kickoff.

Notes
James' goal was her third-career game-winning goal...the Buffs' set-piece goal is the first of the season after scoring nine of their 18 goals on set pieces last season...the assists for Rosen and Newkirk marked their first career point...CU is now 10-2-0 all-time against Colorado College.
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wsoc&id=15301

Back