What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- volleyball heads out to face No. 15 Oregon (Fri.,8:00 MT) and OSU (Sat.,7:00)

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

15-10 Buffs win in the 5th.

What a great character win- NO way I thought they had a chance after how set 4 (and even set 3) looked.

GREAT 5th set by freshman Deluzio. Oregon started with yet another couple points on serve at the start of the 5th (one of their setter's serves KILLED the Buffs all night) that made it look like the Buffs were going to be in a BIG hole again to start a set (as had happened the previous 2), but Deluzio made a beautiful push to deep in the court on 2 that got to the floor to get side out so the Buffs were only down 1-2, after which they scored ~3 points on her serve to get a little lead. Then, after going back and forth for awhile and the Buffs getting a side-out to make it 10 all, it was with her serving where the Buffs score the last 5 points in the match.

Last edited:
This appears to be a massive win for the Buffs and their chances of making it to the post season.

Do the Buffs VB players have body doubles that played for the regular players in that fourth set? Sure looked like a group of players that had never played a PAC12 volleyball match. But in the fifth, the regular players were back in and played tough . Loved the run to win it after the 10-10 tie. They played like they really believed they could/should/deserved to get that win and they haven't always done that.

Congrats again to the team for a solid (if a little crazy) win over a ranked Oregon team!

It does NOT get any easier tonight, as OSU has won 5 straight matches, including last night over #12 Utah (3 sets to 1), as well as a win a couple weekends ago over ranked (currently #14) Washington on the road in Seattle. On the bright side, especially for a tough back to back night match challenge, it's great the Buffs had a pretty diversified offense last night. Even with it going 5 sets, the 2 Buff outside hitters (Shebby and Smith) "only" took 40 and 36 kill attempts, respectively (works out to a little less than 1/2 the Buffs total attempts), so their arms will hopefully be as fresh as possible tonight. (By comparison, in last week's 5 set loss to UCLA, they took ~70% (63 and 72 swings) of the Buff's total attempts, while in OSU's win last night in 4 sets, their star Ms. Marshall alone took 60 swings (although I doubt that will faze her, as I think the (now) senior star has had a BIG workload ever since she arrived at Corvallis.)

Article on last night's win-

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/10...plete-season-sweep-of-no-15-oregon-ducks.aspx

"
EUGENE, Ore. — The Colorado Buffaloes completed the season sweep of No. 15 Oregon on Friday night with a 3-2 victory at Matthew Knight Arena.

The Buffs started the match strong, taking the first two set 25-17, 25-19. But the Ducks rallied back with two set wins of their own (25-17, 25-9) to force the fifth and deciding set. Colorado was able to regroup and finish the match with a 15-10 set win, which included the final six points.

The win puts the Buffs at 16-6 overall and 6-5 in Pac-12 play, while the Ducks are now 14-6 overall (7-5 Pac-12).

NOTES: CU is 9-4 this season away from Coors and is 4-5 against ranked opponents…CU is 2-6 all-time in Eugene, but is 2-1 in the last three meetings at Matthew Knight Arena…Both of CU's wins in Eugene have come in five sets…This is the first time CU has swept the season series against the Ducks…CU has won four of its last five matches…CU is 5-2 in five-set matches.

TEAM STATISTICS: Oregon led the match with a .297 hitting percentage. The Ducks recorded 62 kills and 18 errors on 148 attacks. The Buffs hit .234 with 57 kills and 23 errors on 145 swings. Oregon also led the match in aces (6-3) and blocks (15.5-9.5). CU had the edge in digs at 58-52.

NEXT UP: The Buffs head to Corvallis, Ore. to square off against Oregon State on Saturday, Oct. 28, at 7 p.m. OSU has won five straight matches and are 16-7 (6-5 Pac-12).

QUOTES:
Head coach Jesse Mahoney
Thoughts on the match

"It was a really strange match. We controlled the first two sets fairly easily, almost too easily because we went into the third set and lost a little bit of our discipline before getting blown out in set four. To the players' credit, they were able to refocus and play a very high level set in set five. We scored the last six point of the match and are coming out of here with a win."

Thoughts on the team playing as a whole
"I thought everyone contributed tonight. In the first two sets our middles were on fire. In sets three and four we struggled a bit, but in set five, Frankie took some big swings. Pfeff put up some nice blocks and Lex made some amazing digs at the end. Brynna ran another great offense for us. It was a great match all the way around."

On what happened in the third and fourth sets
"Oregon is really good. They made some adjustments and I don't think we played as focused as we could have in set three. In set four, the wheels came off. I made some subs to give our starters an opportunity to refocus and be ready for set five."
"
______________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - http://www.cubuffs.com/documents/2017/10/27//10_27_17_Oregon.pdf

Last edited:
Match didn't start until 9 PM my time. Given the way the team played in Set 4, I considered going to bed. I am so happy I stayed up and watched the 5th set. This team can do what it wants to do when it decides to do it.

No match, let alone a road match, is easy in the Pac. I believe we will beat Oregon State.

She is properly dressed! Happy she got to meet Shebby.
We met Shebby’s family as well. Outside of the soccer team, I’m pretty sure they were the only other Buff fans there but you could hear here dad cheering her on.
Shebby had an amazing match and seemed very happy to get the sweep over Oregon.

Even the Oregon announcers kept commenting that Shebby wanted this match against her former team.

Match with OSU should be starting any second. Per livestats, normal starting line-up- "COLO starters: Shebby, Frankie; Pfefferle, Anna; Smith, Alexa; DeLuzio, Brynna; Abu, Naghede; Hayes, Joslyn; libero Carta-Samuels, Gabby."

osu comes back and takes the 2nd 25-20. Tied at a set as they go to the break.

Last edited:
And the Buffs win a TIGHT 3rd set 25-23 to go up 2 sets to 1. (One of the teams MAY have had a short 3 point lead, but if there was, it wasn't for long. Otherwise, it was ties and one point leads back and forth most of the set.)

Time to get excited about this squad.

Looked like it was a transition year with being picked in the bottom third of the conference.

Now looking like a team that has arrived a year early and can make some noise in the NCAA tourney.

Back