What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches thread- Volleyball on the road to face #2 Stanford (Friday, 10/18, 9:00 PM MT) and #15 Cal (Sunday, 1:00 MT)

Very solid defense and attacking stretch by both teams leads to a sideout battle for most of the 5th, but the Buffs finally get a point on serve and take a slim 8-7 lead into the court change. Media timeout.

Note- The Buffs lost a challenge on a HUGE point that would have put them up 13-9, so it instead became 12-10. The challenge won by the Bears was that the Buffs had an illegal back row attack. I am NOT a knowledgeable enough fan to know all the intracies of the rules regarding that call, but in the replay I couldn't see anything that even looked close to anything that could be called a back row attack.

Are there any more knowledgeable fans who were watching, or have the match on tape, that could explain the call?

I didn't see anything either and I can't watch again as I have to watch online. Wasn't that the call where there was a long discussion between the officials and the Cal coach and then the challenge?

This team never gave up. They believed until it was over.

Yikes- guess it is almost always "fun" when fans get deep into any sport's rule book.

The generally relatively knowledgeable fans on Villeytalk have also been discussing the disputed challenge point also (http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/78833/colorado-15-cal-10-noon?page=5). So far, (IF I'm understanding things correctly)-

• IF the refs had called the Buffs for a back row attack originally, it WOULD have been a proper call. I already knew there is a rule that the libero cannot set a ball overhand when inside the 10 foot line. Evidently, at some point during that point our libero had 1st contact overhand inside the line, and because our setter then hit it over on 2, the liberos 1st contact became in illegal overhead set inside the line.
  • However, another Volleytalk poster has commented with a quote of the rules, and the infraction the Buffs eventually lost via the Cal challenge is evidently (???) NOT supposed to be reviewable, so the Buffs were screwed in that way.
I guess I still feel A LITTLE better that the call was right in the end, even if it shouldn't have been reviewable.

Last edited:
rough year but the last game at Cal gave me hope they can compete. Now to finish games and win the match.

Back