What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- VOLLEYBALL opens '21 home slate on Friday (9/10) vs. Texas Tech (10:00 AM) & San Jose State (7:00 PM MT) and vs. UNC on Sat. (7:00 PM)

Yes, the stream went down while I was watching. Happy it finally came back so I could watch the final sets of the match.

Last night, however Ewert went was going to determine the match. She was outstanding.

We have a nice block.

Article after yesterday's win, as well as the 3-0 overall tournament finish overall.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/9/11/volleyball-colorado-defeats-unc-for-school-record-start.aspx

"
BOULDER – Colorado volleyball defeated Northern Colorado 3-1 (22-25, 25-17, 25-19, 25-18) here Saturday evening to break the school record for most wins to start a season.

The Buffs (7-0) bettered the mark set in 2017 and 2008 against UNC (6-2) behind a strong offensive attack as the team hit .371 in the final three sets after opening the first with 10 attack errors.

Setter Jenna Ewert took over for Colorado, putting down nine kills, 35 assists, eight digs and three blocks. She was just a kill and two digs away from her first career triple-double. Ewert's main beneficiary was Leah Clayton who finished with 18 kills while hitting .295. Clayton added in eight digs and three blocks of her own, two of which were solo.

Also for CU, Jill Schneggenburger had 11 kills while hitting .357. Middles Alexia Kuehl and Meegan Hart each had seven kills and hit .333. Kuehl had a team-high five total blocks, while Brynna DeLuzio had a stellar evening with 19 digs.

The Bears got out to a strong start, posting five blocks in the first set to hold CU to a .109 hitting percentage. UNC had four women hit 11 or more kills and was led defensively by libero Kyndall Feather with 20 digs.

The Buffaloes secured the Buffs Invitational Championship and named Meegan Hart the tournament Most Valuable Player. Jill Schneggenburger and Jenna Ewert were both named to the All-Tournament team.

Colorado's school record start will be put to the test next week with the second installment of the Golden Spike double-header between CU and CSU. The Buffs will host CSU Thursday evening at 7 p.m., then the team will play for the traveling trophy that was created in 2019 on Saturday afternoon in Fort Collins at 1 p.m.

QUOTES
Head Coach Jesse Mahoney

On The Match And Record Start
Nice job us. I will tell you that's a really good team on the other side of the net. They've got some solid wins on the season, Northwestern, Colorado State and Denver. They're really well coached. They do a lot of smart things and put their players in position to be successful. Happy to get the win, happy to be playing at home. I thought the first set, we were a little sluggish, this was our third match in 24 hours and they were definitely fresh and excited to be here. I was proud of our team responding. In set two I thought we played really well, and grinded it out sets three and four. Not the prettiest volleyball we played all season but we did a lot of really good things. I thought Jenna was really good offensively, obviously, and made some really nice decisions with the ball. Megan, I don't know what her numbers are but I'm guessing they were good because it felt really good. A really good weekend, 7-0 start we're excited about that we have two more preseason matches both against Colorado State who's going to be a test, no doubt. We're excited to kind of get healthy, get rested and head into the Pac-12.

On The Adjustments After The First Set
That's a really good serving team, and I don't think we were dialed in the way we needed to be from a passing standpoint. We just looked a little sluggish in everything we did. UNC did a nice job in that first set, but frankly we just handed them a ton of points, a ton of errors. We know we can play cleaner volleyball. We just kind of decided we're going to go back to basics and serve and pass and set up the right way on attack and make good choices and I thought we did that and we carried through for the rest of the match.

CURRENT STANDINGS
COLORADO 3-0
TEXAS TECH 2-1
NORTHERN COLORADO 1-2
SAN JOSE STATE 0-3

ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
COLO: Meegan Hart (MVP)
COLO: Jill Schneggenburger
COLO: Jenna Ewert
TTU: Brooke Kanas
TTU: Karrington Jones
UNC: Rachel Hickman