What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- Volleyball visits Cal (Weds., 4:00 MT) and hosts #15 Utah (Senior Night, Fri., 8:00)

Not to jinx things, but the NCAA women's volleyball selection show takes place on Sunday night at 7 MST. Hope that with a victory over Utah on Friday night they'll be hosting tourney games in Boulder. Oh, and I hope to make my first match tomorrow night v Utah.

Well, with Stanford's win over Utah tonight, it sets up a perfect finale to the regular season .... both Utah and Colorado come into the match here Friday night with in-conference records of 12-7. Overall, Colorado 22-8 and Utah 21-9, both teams with similar resumes with, imo, the edge to Colorado. So possibly this match could result in the winner getting a top 16 seed and then hosting first 2 rounds of the NCAA tourney on their home court and the loser being sent on the road for the tourney. Right now Utah has the edge in RPI so would probably get to be the hosting school but a Buffs win on Friday could possibly change that in our favor. So much might be riding on this match! Be there if you can.
Update to my thoughts of yesterday:
On VolleyTalk, BluePenguin has updated his RPI projections for teams close to being in on the seeding/hosting. Giving Colorado the win tomorrow and thus Utah the loss, he still shows Utah as a near lock to host and gives Colorado a 55% chance of hosting. So maybe that changes the drama a bit for Utah but still says that Colorado needs to win to have a shot at hosting in the tourney.

Just wanted to mention the 55% chance BeBe mentions above is the chance the Buffs end up with a top 16 RPI if they beat Utah, which MAY or MAY NOT mean they get to host.

Although being THE dynasty team over the last ~15 years probably helped, along with other "resume" factors, I believe Penn State got the #16 seed last season even though their RPI was only 26 at the time of tournament selection. So, although I assume the committee starts with RPI in seeding teams (like they do with selecting teams), they do look at other things.

Just wanted to mention the 55% chance BeBe mentions above is the chance the Buffs end up with a top 16 RPI if they beat Utah, which MAY or MAY NOT mean they get to host.

Although being THE dynasty team over the last ~15 years probably helped, along with other "resume" factors, I believe Penn State got the #16 seed last season even though their RPI was only 26 at the time of tournament selection. So, although I assume the committee starts with RPI in seeding teams (like they do with selecting teams), they do look at other things.
Thanks Aztec for clarifying. I keow that but was posting in a hurry before starting some Thanksgiving dinner prep work.

The Pac 12 announcers have talked about being surprised by CU this season and mentioning that the committee starts with RPI and then does consider other things.

They also keep mentioning what a great setter Brynna is.

I'll wander down for tonight's match. I'm sad the season is drawing to a close.

I'll wander down for tonight's match. I'm sad the season is drawing to a close.
I'm thinking about going.

And I'm getting excited about the NCAA tourney. I know I might be crazy, but I keep thinking that with a favorable draw and one upset (which this team has what it takes to accomplish)... there's a chance of our Buffs reaching the Final Four.

Match about to start. Per livestats, looks like the normal starting line-up-
"COLO starters: Shebby, Frankie Pfefferle, Anna; Smith, Alexa; DeLuzio, Brynna; Abu, Naghede; Hayes, Joslyn; libero Carta-Samuels, Gabby."

And, as usual, individual set scores don't mean much (when teams are of relatively equal ability), and utah takes a 10-14 2nd set lead, TO CU.

Buffs lose a critical point on an unforced error and take their last timeout. Down 18-22.

Buffs coming up strong early in the 2nd as a block leads to a ute timeout- Buffs up 11-6.

And the lead is gone- Buffs take a timeout (FInally) down 18-20. A weird play call or two not helping.

Buffs get a net serve ace but then get one against them. Take their last timeout down 22-24.

Most of the Buff lead goes late, then it becomes a side-out battle for awhile, but now the Buffs have a little run to take a 23-20 lead before utah takes the 1st timeout (by either coach).

Back