What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB: #12 Kansas State Game Notes & Game Thread

colorado fans always support good teams. College Bball is a blast. no reason (besides AD support/facilities) why CU shouldn't field a pretty decent BBall team. Hell its easier to keep up facility wise in bball then it is football, and it sure can make a school a ton of money. Keep coors full and the AD would be in much better shape.

agree. if i'm Mike Bohn what i saw yesterday may show where the "quicker fix" is for an AD that *desperately* needs something good to happen. gotta spend money to win in sports....and the instant success while managing costs and facilities for 12 schollies instead of 80?

we talk about hitting Texas in football recruiting, there's so much hoops talent coming out of Texas (and Oklahoma for that matter) it's ridiculous. with a little winning, there's no reason you can't sell CU to Texas kids imo (in both sports).

agree. if i'm Mike Bohn what i saw yesterday may show where the "quicker fix" is for an AD that *desperately* needs something good to happen. gotta spend money to win in sports....and the instant success while managing costs and facilities for 12 schollies instead of 80?

we talk about hitting Texas in football recruiting, there's so much hoops talent coming out of Texas (and Oklahoma for that matter) it's ridiculous. with a little winning, there's no reason you can't sell CU to Texas kids imo (in both sports).

Not to mention, CU hoops could/should be a huge weapon in recruiting for football, if the program was excelling and the CEC was packed and rocking. Most young athletes love hoops and for those recruits that are visiting after FB season ends, there's really no better experience they can give those recruits than seeing the buffs play a big game against a good opponent in an arena going nuts to support CU.....

Has anyone mentioned lately that Frank Martin is a toilet sucking slime ball? He is that. It'll be 2 or 3 years, but KSU will be back on basketball probation. Watch it happen.

With that said, the dude does get his kids to play hard. They're in our face all day, harassing us to no end. Impressive.

I can only believe that he's told them all that he'll hurt their families if they don't bust ass every second they're on the floor. Seems pretty consistent for this thug with his $900 suit.

He's ambidextrous - he sucks and blows. I think the league AD's need to get together and vote him off the island, or the runway, or whatever the hell the Big 12 is these days.

Has anyone mentioned lately that Frank Martin is a toilet sucking slime ball? He is that. It'll be 2 or 3 years, but KSU will be back on basketball probation. Watch it happen.

With that said, the dude does get his kids to play hard. They're in our face all day, harassing us to no end. Impressive.

I can only believe that he's told them all that he'll hurt their families if they don't bust ass every second they're on the floor. Seems pretty consistent for this thug with his $900 suit.

He's ambidextrous - he sucks and blows. I think the league AD's need to get together and vote him off the island, or the runway, or whatever the hell the Big 12 is these days.

I admit I don't know much about Martin. Can you fill us in on his history? The Brentburger said early in the broadcast tonite of the KSU-UT game that he was very popular among the CBB coaching community ... which I doubt would be true if he was a sleazeball.

And here's this.

Doesn't sound like such a bad guy. Do you know different?

Last edited:
I admit I don't know much about Martin. Can you fill us in on his history? The Brentburger said early in the broadcast tonite of the KSU-UT game that he was very popular among the CBB coaching community ... which I doubt would be true if he was a sleazeball.

And here's this.

Doesn't sound like such a bad guy. Do you know different?

If I remember right him and Michael Beasely were a packaged deal to KSU when Huggins was recruiting Beasely. At least that was the rumor.

If I remember right him and Michael Beasely were a packaged deal to KSU when Huggins was recruiting Beasely. At least that was the rumor.

No - that is our assistant HC, Dalonte Hill. He is the highest paid assistant coach in college basketball @420,000 a year.

Probation? Who gives a damn? KU won the NCAA while on probation.

Probation? Who gives a damn? KU won the NCAA while on probation.

That's the attitude I love about KSU fans. It's like my cousin, a KSU grad, who was going on and on about how great Bob Huggins is. This was during his first year there. When I told him that the guy had a 0% graduation rate at Cincy along with off-court problems and that things would not end well with Huggy, he looked at me in absolute shock. I don't believe he'd ever heard concern from the KSU fans he usually spoke to (and he couldn't give a **** less about the academic performance or off-field behavior of KSU athletes as long as the teams won).

Last edited:
that's the attitude i love about ksu fans. It's like my cousin, a ksu grad, who was going on and on about how great bob huggins is. This was during his [strike]first[/strike] only year there.

fify

Below is a link to the advanced search I created, with a few of extracts that came up below that. Unfortunately you need to buy old articles in the Miami Herald web site and I'm not willing to do that.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_multi=MH|&p_product=MH&p_theme=realcities2&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&s_site=miami&s_trackval=MH&s_search_type=customized&s_dispstring=(frank%20martin)%20AND%20(basketball)%20AND%20date(01/01/1998%20to%2012/31/2004)&p_field_date-0=YMD_date&p_params_date-0=date:B,E&p_text_date-0=01/01/1998%20to%2012/31/2004)&p_field_advanced-0=&p_text_advanced-0=(frank%20martin)%20AND%20(basketball)&xcal_numdocs=20&p_perpage=10&p_sort=_rank_:D&xcal_ranksort=4&xcal_useweights=yes

You can be skeptic about all this and say he wasn't actually caught cheating. But the dude was fired from Miami High after winning a title, hired by another school over a year later, then hired by Huggins. These are win-at-all-costs guys. Keep an eye on the graduation rate at KSU under him. If it's stellar then I'll eat my words. More likely he'll be out of there before anything hits the fan.

Miami Herald - August 19, 1998 - 1C Sports
MIAMI HIGH FIRES COACH, AD PRINCIPAL: `WIPING THE SLATE CLEAN'
Miami High boys' basketball coach Frank Martin and athletic director Jose ``Tiger'' Nunez on Tuesday were fired from their athletic positions in the aftermath of the school being found guilty of numerous violations by the Florida High School Activities Association. In addition, another eight individuals associated with Miami High athletics are expected to be fired or reprimanded in the next week. Martin and Nunez will retain their teaching jobs within ...

Miami Herald - September 30, 1999 - 1D Sports
EX-MIAMI HIGH COACH HIRED
Former Miami High boys' basketball coach Frank Martin, fired 14 months ago after a recruiting scandal, was hired this week as the coach at Booker T. Washington. Martin was never accused of any specific wrongdoing in the investigations by the Florida High School Activities Association and Greater Miami Athletic Conference. Those investigations found Miami High's athletic program guilty of numerous violations - including recruiting and address changing - in three...

Miami Herald - August 19, 1998 - 1C Sports
MIAMI HIGH FIRES COACH, AD MARTIN: `WE HAVE NOT CHEATED'
Miami High basketball coach Frank Martin leaves the gym and walks through the dank, dark locker room to enter his tiny office, the one back by the toilets. This is the chair he has always wanted to sit in, the one behind the head coach's desk, but today it is figuratively on fire, so what Martin is feeling now is a lot closer to heat than warmth. The school principal had fired him a few hours earlier Tuesday, had taken away South Florida's most prestigious high...

Miami Herald - August 21, 1998 - 8D Sports
TWO MORE OUSTED, 5 REPRIMANDED AT MHS PRINCIPAL LOPEZ: MORE DISMISSALS ARE COMING
Miami High principal Victor Lopez continues to clean house -- firing, reprimanding and asking individuals to distance themselves from the school and its athletic program. Another seven people were disciplined Thursday by Lopez, who on Tuesday fired boys' basketball coach Frank Martin and athletic director Jose ``Tiger'' Nunez after the school was found guilty of numerous violations by the Florida High School Activities Association. Mary Brooks, who...

Miami Herald - March 9, 1998 - 1D Sports
FHSAA TO INVESTIGATE MIAMI HIGH BOYS BASKETBALL
The Florida High School Activities Association will begin an investigation this week into the Miami High boys' basketball program -- a probe that could lead to the Stingarees being stripped of the Class 6A championship they won Saturday night at the Lakeland Center. The FHSAA is investigating allegations of recruiting, improper student transfers and incorrect residences for athletes. FHSAA Commissioner Ron Davis said he will ask the FHSAA Board of Directors to investigate...

Miami Herald - March 7, 1998 - 13D Sports
MHS COACH: ALLEGATIONS ARE `FALSE'
Miami High boys' basketball Coach Frank Martin said he was upset by the cover story in this week's New Times entitled Dream Team, an article that claims Miami High has built its successful program by cheating. Martin said he did not want to comment about the ``false allegations'' in the story. ``I don't think it's fair that they do this to children when they are working hard to win a state...

Doesn't BB have the same penalties as FB? Your grad rate is below a certain rate, you lose schol's. On the football rate it's not low either, from what I recall. Upwards of 70% expected, I thought I remembered. (Gets a little complicated when you start talking about transfers, JC's, Mormon Missions, etc.)

Doesn't BB have the same penalties as FB? Your grad rate is below a certain rate, you lose schol's. On the football rate it's not low either, from what I recall. Upwards of 70% expected, I thought I remembered. (Gets a little complicated when you start talking about transfers, JC's, Mormon Missions, etc.)

They do now. The APR thing has only been around since, I think, 2006. NCAA didn't do a thing back when Huggy was at Cincy.

Back