What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB - Change & Commitment for 2023-24

A Tad comment after last night's game:

"Next year could be one of the best years Colorado basketball has ever had," Boyle said. "I really believe that."

Teams are going to be focusing on Williams, and TdS, LL and Luke will have much more room to work, many more chances.

A Tad comment after last night's game:

"Next year could be one of the best years Colorado basketball has ever had," Boyle said. "I really believe that."

Teams are going to be focusing on Williams, and TdS, LL and Luke will have much more room to work, many more chances.
If that is to happen, he needs to push at least 1 more roster player out the door. There's no way we take that next big step unless he makes some changes. I don't want to see guys like Clifford and Hammond taking minutes from players who give us more when they're on the court because of his GD stubbornness and loyalty. I love Tad, I really do, but I don't want to be sitting here exactly a year from now wondering WTF happened?

If that is to happen, he needs to push at least 1 more roster player out the door. There's no way we take that next big step unless he makes some changes. I don't want to see guys like Clifford and Hammond taking minutes from players who give us more when they're on the court because of his GD stubbornness and loyalty. I love Tad, I really do, but I don't want to be sitting here exactly a year from now wondering WTF happened?
An upgrade would be nice, but Tad, as far as I can tell, just doesn't push players out. Like it seems to be with QA, he makes a commitment to the player and the player's family, and the player has to screw up before Tad would pressure him.

I think all we're talking about is telling the truth. Tad will be telling Nique and Hammond that they don't look like starters next season. Most upperclassmen in that position move on--especially Nique, who will lose a starting spot.

I think all we're talking about is telling the truth. Tad will be telling Nique and Hammond that they don't look like starters next season. Most upperclassmen in that position move on--especially Nique, who will lose a starting spot.
Let’s be honest, they didn’t look like starters this year.

Let’s be honest, they didn’t look like starters this year.
Agree. Here’s how I see next year playing out:

First team:
PG - Simpson
The offense did look better with Hammond. I don’t see KJ taking on the SG role but if the turnovers persist it could happen. There will be no patience for TOs next year.

F - Williams
We could see a transfer here and CW bumps O’Brien. In 22-23, we didn’t have a SG. Nique was terrible, Allen too erratic, Ruffin and RJ injured. There’s no serious SG option on the team at the moment.

F - O’Brien
Offensive game is better than Hadley. Can rebound. High energy. He deserves a starting spot. One of my favorites by the end of the year.

F -DaSilva
Defense has always been spotty but offensively he’s fantastic. Had to do too much this year.

C - Lawson
Big man played incredible vs UVU. Huge year next year.

Second team:
PG - Hammond
Great down the stretch. Showed me something.

F - Hadley
Defensive dirt dog but offensive game is limited.

F - Diop
He could end up a starter. Impressive around the hoop. Built like a smaller Embiid.

F - Hurlburt
Mystery big man that could help. Hard to say what he brings but Tad likes him.

Unknowns:
Mr. Anderson and Agent Smith
RJ might see some time but hard to say. Tad hasn’t been playing true FR so we likely do not see Anderson.

Super Unknowns:
Ruffin
His knee isn’t reliable enough to pencil him anywhere next year.

Need to transfer:
Clifford and Allen
A serious program boots both of them off asap. Clifford belongs at UNCO and Tad doesn’t like Allen. Sayonara.

Weird to think that Ruffin might be the difference between a good year and a great year next season.

Agree. Here’s how I see next year playing out:

First team:
PG - Simpson
The offense did look better with Hammond. I don’t see KJ taking on the SG role but if the turnovers persist it could happen. There will be no patience for TOs next year.

F - Williams
We could see a transfer here and CW bumps O’Brien. In 22-23, we didn’t have a SG. Nique was terrible, Allen too erratic, Ruffin and RJ injured. There’s no serious SG option on the team at the moment.

F - O’Brien
Offensive game is better than Hadley. Can rebound. High energy. He deserves a starting spot. One of my favorites by the end of the year.

F -DaSilva
Defense has always been spotty but offensively he’s fantastic. Had to do too much this year.

C - Lawson
Big man played incredible vs UVU. Huge year next year.

Second team:
PG - Hammond
Great down the stretch. Showed me something.

F - Hadley
Defensive dirt dog but offensive game is limited.

F - Diop
He could end up a starter. Impressive around the hoop. Built like a smaller Embiid.

F - Hurlburt
Mystery big man that could help. Hard to say what he brings but Tad likes him.

Unknowns:
Mr. Anderson and Agent Smith
RJ might see some time but hard to say. Tad hasn’t been playing true FR so we likely do not see Anderson.

Super Unknowns:
Ruffin
His knee isn’t reliable enough to pencil him anywhere next year.

Need to transfer:
Clifford and Allen
A serious program boots both of them off asap. Clifford belongs at UNCO and Tad doesn’t like Allen. Sayonara.
If this scenario plays out and Clifford and Allen go as they should, it leaves one scholly open for Tad to go out and get one more Guard in the transfer portal. That makes this perfect.

Sophomore stats

Player1: 15.3 pts, 41.5% fg, 33.8% 3pt, 82.5% ft, 3.2 reb, 3.0 ast, 1.3 STL, 0.5 blk, 2.2 tov

Player2: 13.0 pts, 49.4% fg, 36.5% 3pt, 80.7% ft, 4.9 reb, 4.8 ast, 1.1 STL, 0.2 blk, 3.1 tov

Player3: 15.9 pts, 39.6% fg, 27.6% 3pt, 81.7% ft, 4.3 reb, 3.8 ast, 1.5 STL, 0.2 blk, 2.6 tov

Player1 = Spencer Dinwiddie
Player2 = McKinley Wright (soph was by far his best shooting year, outlier actually)
Player3 = KJ Simpson

All we need from KJ is improvement to his jump shot for him to be elite. He is a great college PG and when people say we need a "true PG" to upgrade the position, I don't know wtf they're talking about.

All we need from KJ is improvement to his jump shot for him to be elite. He is a great college PG and when people say we need a "true PG" to upgrade the position, I don't know wtf they're talking about.
This, but also, the ball is going to be in Cody Williams hands a lot next year.

Then again, we should always have more guards. Not because of KJ, but because you need to have guards.

Sophomore stats

Player1: 15.3 pts, 41.5% fg, 33.8% 3pt, 82.5% ft, 3.2 reb, 3.0 ast, 1.3 STL, 0.5 blk, 2.2 tov

Player2: 13.0 pts, 49.4% fg, 36.5% 3pt, 80.7% ft, 4.9 reb, 4.8 ast, 1.1 STL, 0.2 blk, 3.1 tov

Player3: 15.9 pts, 39.6% fg, 27.6% 3pt, 81.7% ft, 4.3 reb, 3.8 ast, 1.5 STL, 0.2 blk, 2.6 tov

Player2 = McKinley Wright (soph was by far his best shooting year, outlier actually)
Player3 = KJ Simpson

Are you asking whether I’d rather have Spencer Dinwiddie or KJ Simpson?

Are you asking whether I’d rather have Spencer Dinwiddie or KJ Simpson?
No. I'm pointing out that KJ is in the same class as Mayor & Kin as a college PG. There's not much room for argument here. It's fact.

Which of the 3 anyone prefers is a matter of opinion, not backed by stats / performance.

No. I'm pointing out that KJ is in the same class as Mayor & Kin as a college PG. There's not much room for argument here. It's fact.

Which of the 3 anyone prefers is a matter of opinion, not backed by stats / performance.
For me, the true measure of a point guard is how he elevates the game of his teammates. Dinwiddie and Kin elevated the games of their teammates. Can you say the same for KJ?

For me, the true measure of a point guard is how he elevates the game of his teammates. Dinwiddie and Kin elevated the games of their teammates. Can you say the same for KJ?
Yes, through his on-court play. Absolutely.

As I have mentioned, though, he needs to embrace the leadership mantle. Kin had that from day one. Spencer took it as a soph when Nate was gone. KJ did not take it from Evan this year and we need him to seize this team as a Junior.

KJ is a stud, we are lucky to have him, and with another year under his belt and really good players around him, he can be a P12 1st teamer.

Sophomore stats

Player3 = KJ Simpson

You've got to think to with Cody, improvements from the roster his shooting stats will improve because he will have more help and have less of a need to force things.

You've got to think to with Cody, improvements from the roster his shooting stats will improve because he will have more help and have less of a need to force things.
I thought his stroke looked better this year. And, yeah, I think he'll get better looks in 2023-24. If he can improve there while adding strength to finish more effectively in traffic without getting knocked off his spot so easily, he's going to put up monster numbers.

Looks like TdS and KJ are going to test the NBA waters. If they jumped that would sure make next year a bummer.

This, but also, the ball is going to be in Cody Williams hands a lot next year.

Then again, we should always have more guards. Not because of KJ, but because you need to have guards.
Imagine if we went out and got a player like the Woodbury kid from UVU! A gritty, confident off guard who can shoot the rock, handle the ball or crash the boards, whatever the situation dictates. Yet, knows he's not option #1 or #2. Oooohweeee.

Tad will be doing his 1-on-1 meetings with players this week and then they're going on Spring Break. We should know the attrition in the next 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:

Tad will be doing his 1-on-1 meetings with players this week and then they're doing on Spring Break. We should know the attrition in the next 2-3 weeks.

Certain posters checking the portal:

Double Tap Reaction GIF by Klarna

Back