What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mel Tucker the recruiter

Big Jim

WTF?
Club Member
I was reading Coach Tucker's bio on the CU website and found these quotes to be quite exciting.

One of the staff’s top recruiters, 247Sports.com ranked him as the No. 14 recruiter in the nation based off the class he helped UGA sign ahead of the 2018 season.

At Ohio State, he recruited four players who would eventually be first round NFL Draft selections and the 2006 Heisman Trophy winner, quarterback Troy Smith.

From my one 5 minute conversation with Mel Tucker, he seemed to be a much more mellow, yet no less strident, version of Alec Baldwin's "Always Be Closing" character from the opening scene of "Glengarry Glen Ross". ABR-- Always Be Recruiting.

Last edited:
I think theres no doubt he can identify top tier talent. The question is can he recruit it to a less popular school? Its easy to recruit to a school like ohio state or georgia. The question is was he recruiting that talent because of him or because of the school he was with. Georgia didnt have any recruiting drop off when he left

I think theres no doubt he can identify top tier talent. The question is can he recruit it to a less popular school? Its easy to recruit to a school like ohio state or georgia. The question is was he recruiting that talent because of him or because of the school he was with. Georgia didnt have any recruiting drop off when he left

Kirby Smart is one of the best coaches in the sport-and I'd argue he's a better recruiter right now than Saban is because he relates to high school kids better than Saban (and seems like he enjoys it more right now) does. Georgia is going to be a playoff contender every year as long as he's there. Tucker understood from the get-go where he needs to invest his resources-keeping Chev and hiring Alfred Pupunu (especially given how good Utah and Washington in particular are up front) are the two prime examples of this IMO. Can he build this thing up right away with the talent that's in place? Getting to even a 3rd tier bowl would be huge for this team this season.

UGA and OSU don’t just drop any slapdick into a coaching slot and said slapdick becomes a good recruiter. UGA and OSU hire off of the top shelf. Tucker is top shelf.

Pay attention to the recruiting infrastructure that Coach Tucker has built at CU. He was great in the past because of his relentlessness, personality, and the recruiting infrastructure at those schools. He has already built a recruiting machine of the likes CU has never experienced and he knows how to drive that machine.

UGA and OSU don’t just drop any slapdick into a coaching slot and said slapdick becomes a good recruiter. UGA and OSU hire off of the top shelf. Tucker is top shelf.

Pay attention to the recruiting infrastructure that Coach Tucker has built at CU. He was great in the past because of his relentlessness, personality, and the recruiting infrastructure at those schools. He has already built a recruiting machine of the likes CU has never experienced and he knows how to drive that machine.

You get a like for the correct use of "slapdick."

I mean, "never experienced" is a comment that needs explanation given Coach Mac's success.

I mean, "never experienced" is a comment that needs explanation given Coach Mac's success.

I definitely think the type of institutionally generated organizational commitment beyond the coaching staff that’s needed today in recruiting wasn’t prevalent in the 80s/90s. There were certainly extras and bagmen around, but you didn’t have a FT team of staffers who supplemented actual film and relationship based recruiting.

UGA and OSU don’t just drop any slapdick into a coaching slot and said slapdick becomes a good recruiter. UGA and OSU hire off of the top shelf.

This statement should be cut and pasted anytime an allbuffs slapdick tries to rely on the various versions of "it's too hard to recruit to CU."

I have no doubt that Tucker can recruit. Can he build a staff of recruiters is another question. CU has to get stronger recruiting in California.. In the long haul we are not going to make a living recruiting in the SE.

Back