What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike and Mel

Re: Mike and Mel

A nuanced and non-reactionary opinion on the Allbuffs boards is about as rare as a full set of teeth on a ****er fan, but here it goes:

I'll start by saying I love Mel Tucker and everything that he has already done for this program. He definitely appears to be off to a good start, our mental and physical toughness seems to have improved, our halftime adjustments have been exceptional, and everything he does for recruiting appears to be having a positive impact. Still, we need to chill. He's coached 4 games. In those 4 games, he's beaten 3 teams that MikeMac beat last year and lost to a MWC team. So let's pump the breaks a bit. I don't have anything negative to say about HCMT thus far, and I generally love all of the rather subjective changes he's made, and I hope for the best, but he's still only coached 4 games.

As for Mike MacIntyre, I totally understand the frustration we all have with the past 2 years, and no one wanted the bad look that it was when he looked very ungrateful towards the fan base and threw his team under the bus at the end of his tenure. I get it, but I think his whole body of work as head coach needs to be considered before we lump him in with Hawkins and Embree. I mean, we were baaaaaaad under Embree. Like, so bad I've selectively forgotten about the 2012 season on advice of my therapist. (I'm joking, but not exaggerating.) MacIntyre deserves a lot of credit for turning around the ship and keeping us alive as a program. While I think it's totally fair to question if MacIntyre knew where he was headed once things leveled out, there's no denying that he left the program in a much better state than he found it in.

Finally, the only point I'd like to make is this: We don't get Coach Tucker without Coach MacIntyre. There's no way Coach Tucker (who was reportedly very selective in his head coaching opportunities) even sniffs CU if we're coming off the 2012 season. And rightly so. MikeMac was the right guy for the job at the time, and we should be thankful that he saved our sinking ship. I don't like the "bash the old guy" rhetoric that is all too common on these here boards, so I took the time to type out my opinion.

I'm all on board the Tucker train, but I'm not ready to bash the train that got us here in the first place.

Finally, an analogy. We were a dying program that had all but lost its heartbeat. MacIntyre was the defibrillator that sparked us back to life. He didn't know what to do after that, and our heartbeat became irregular. So that makes Tucker our pacemaker. He keeps us focused, pushing forward and in step with our destination.

That is all.

tl;dr version: Chill Allbuffs.
Also, HCMT wore shorts in AZ.

Don't agree on Fresno being tougher than Air Force, but agreed on the other two.
This Air Force love fest is getting a little crazy. Are they a tough matchup because of their offense? Of course. But to say they are a harder matchup than Fresno, who has won their division and the conference in the last two years is ridiculous. They do a good job when they play power five teams and losing close to Minnesota and usc doesn’t mean they aren’t a good team.

This Air Force love fest is getting a little crazy. Are they a tough matchup because of their offense? Of course. But to say they are a harder matchup than Fresno, who has won their division and the conference in the last two years is ridiculous. They do a good job when they play power five teams and losing close to Minnesota and usc doesn’t mean they aren’t a good team.
Nobody said Fresno isn’t a good team, but why does the reason AFA is a tough matchup matter? We lost to them at home. Very tough matchup. Fresno literally can’t be a tougher matchup than that and I just believe the uniqueness of AFA’s offense was tougher to deal with than Fresno will be even if Fresno might be a more talented team.

I think RG looked at the future OOC schedule and McIntyre’s lackluster recruiting and record and was almost glad the OSU debacle gave him a defensible reason for cutting bait. I just wonder if RG was ever a big fan of McIntyre? Or the opposite.
Honestly, I think RG looked at MM after how we lost to Oregon State and said, "**** this guy." That game brought a lot of his shortcomings right to the surface.

Nobody said Fresno isn’t a good team, but why does the reason AFA is a tough matchup matter? We lost to them at home. Very tough matchup. Fresno literally can’t be a tougher matchup than that and I just believe the uniqueness of AFA’s offense was tougher to deal with than Fresno will be even if Fresno might be a more talented team.
Air Force is a team the buffs should have beaten. I don’t know if it was a hangover from Nebraska, the team/coaches were unprepared, the bye week for Air Force, but there is no way that should have been a loss with the athletes this team has on offense.

Fresno on the other hand is more talented and has proven they can beat good teams. Even if the buffs do play well the can still lose, if they don’t it could get ugly.

Air Force is a team the buffs should have beaten. I don’t know if it was a hangover from ****braska, the team/coaches were unprepared, the bye week for Air Force, but there is no way that should have been a loss with the athletes this team has on offense.

Fresno on the other hand is more talented and has proven they can beat good teams. Even if the buffs do play well the can still lose, if they don’t it could get ugly.
Chop blocking all game long is a different ball game. Something that you can’t adequately prepare for.

It's not ridiculous. I'm a Cal grad, plenty of appreciation for what Tedford does. On paper I expect Fresno is the more talented team, but they also 1) aren't conditioned to altitude like Air Force is, 2) don't run nearly as rare/ unique of an offense as Air Force does, and 3) don't have the same emotional investment in the game as AF did, which isn't a big factor but plays a role in college football (same as comparing CSU to any random MWC school). So all that makes it more or less a wash. Relax.

Understanding that this is a bye week, I am more concerned with this seasons results than what next years OOC record may be.

Honestly, I think RG looked at MM after how we lost to Oregon State and said, "**** this guy." That game brought a lot of his shortcomings right to the surface.
I honestly think RG saw McIntyre’s shortcomings before that game. I know I did. And so did others.

It's not ridiculous. I'm a Cal grad, plenty of appreciation for what Tedford does. On paper I expect Fresno is the more talented team, but they also 1) aren't conditioned to altitude like Air Force is, 2) don't run nearly as rare/ unique of an offense as Air Force does, and 3) don't have the same emotional investment in the game as AF did, which isn't a big factor but plays a role in college football (same as comparing CSU to any random MWC school). So all that makes it more or less a wash. Relax.
EVery G5 program is going to have a lot of emotional investment in playing P5 teams. Air Force didn’t have any extra motivation to play CU, it was barely even on the radar around here, they wanted to go beat a pac 12 football team.

Yes Air Force runs a rare offense, but that is only half of the game and Fresno is much more talented on both sides.

EVery G5 program is going to have a lot of emotional investment in playing P5 teams. Air Force didn’t have any extra motivation to play CU, it was barely even on the radar around here, they wanted to go beat a pac 12 football team.

Yes Air Force runs a rare offense, but that is only half of the game and Fresno is much more talented on both sides.
I said I agreed on Fresno being more talented, just disagreed on them necessarily being the much tougher opponent on the whole. Agree to disagree. It's not anything that matters anyways.

You underestimate the emotional part of the game at the college level at your peril.

Sure, on paper, the AFA game was a challenging, but fairly winnable game.

The reality was that the zoomies wanted that game, and they wanted it bad. Lots of us were a little ashamed at how the cadets were treated the last time they came to Boulder.

They were pissed.

Still.

We looked at those newspaper articles in embarrassment. Calhoun used them as motivation. "We've been waiting 40 years to extract our revenge" may not have come out of his mouth, but you better bet that was their team's attitude heading into the game.

Yes, on paper, Fresno might be a tougher game next year than AFA was this year, but the reality is that next year's game will be an easier game for the buffs to win.

CSU might be slightly tougher at home. That slight advantage will be functionally meaningless to the win/loss column though. Instead of the line being 17, it'll be 14.

Fresno will end up being an easier game than AFA.

aTm will absolutely be tougher than the corn.

We should be 2-1, and we'll have a shot at 3-0.

Regardless, we're 3-1 now, which is right where we needed to be to make a bowl game this year.

Nothing would make me happier than beating Aggy.
Lots of games for the Pac-12 to make a statement next year.
CU @ A&M
Michigan @ Washington
Ohio State @ Oregon
Oregon State @ Oklahoma State
TCU @ Cal
Stanford @ Notre Dame
Notre Dane @ USC
BYU @ Stanford
BYU @ Utah
Arizona & TTU
BYU @ ASU
USC VS. Bama

Quite a few good G5 matchups to
Utah State @ Washington
WSU & Utah State
Houston @ WSU
Fresno @ CU
UCLA @ SDSU

How do you all keep up on who will be good next year? I’d have to analyze the roster for all three of our OOC opponents. I mean 20% of the roster turns over each year.

I do know that A&M will return almost 100% of their starters next year. It’s a game in College Station. On paper, It will be the toughest OOC game we’ve played in a while.

CSU will be a mess. We don’t even know who their coach will be, assuming they cut Bobo on January 1 or negotiate a buyout.

Fresno will also have questions at QB, at WR, TE, and lose a bunch on the D line. I have no idea if the holes will be plugged with good talent or not. I don’t follow their recruiting. G5 teams rise and fall really rapidly depending if they hit on some key underrecruited players.

Lots of games for the Pac-12 to make a statement next year.
CU @ A&M
Michigan @ Washington
Ohio State @ Oregon
Oregon State @ Oklahoma State
TCU @ Cal
Stanford @ Notre Dame
Notre Dane @ USC
BYU @ Stanford
BYU @ Utah
Arizona & TTU
BYU @ ASU
USC VS. Bama

Quite a few good G5 matchups to
Utah State @ Washington
WSU & Utah State
Houston @ WSU
Fresno @ CU
UCLA @ SDSU
Definitely a good lineup. I can't remember the last time I've been so pissed about a game none of my alma maters were playing in than the UO-Auburn game. Woulda been nice to squeak that one out. Next year, those top three you list are all big ones (even though Michigan isn't actually that good, the national media can't stop believing they are).

Mike and mel sounds like the name of an am sports radio talk show... maybe they can team up after their coaching careees are over, that would be petty funny to listen to. Mike getting all emotional and teary while debating topics with mel. Then Mel being all "YOU NEED TO EMOTIONALLY TOUGHEN UP, MIKE. IF YOU'RE GOING TO THROW A TANTRUM EVERY SHOW, YOU CAN TAKE YOUR ASS TO THE (radio show transfer) PORTAL RIGHT NOW

Last edited:
Back