What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike MacIntyre officially takes Ole Miss DC job

There’s a massive difference between 3A, 4A and 5A in Colorado. Part of my initial concerns a year ago when we first offered Ty, but came around due to some offer validation from bigger programs and his camp performances

The cutoff numbers are not the same as they used to be especially in the late 1990s. The only classifications i didn't face in football was 1A and 5A at the time and also six man football. Today's 3A numbers are closer to the old 4A cutoff numbers and that is why it's strange to see long time 4A Longmont down to 3A. My school even played Windsor when they were still 3A (now 4A) and they weren't that different from a good 4A school. Once they made the move up, there weren't much hiccups. Some 3A, 4A, and 5A schools don't have enough players to field one way players and get killed on the football field.

That is why I don't think there is that massive of a difference between 3A to 5A ball these days because some longtime 4A schools were moved down to 3A.

The cutoff numbers are not the same as they used to be especially in the late 1990s. The only classifications i didn't face in football was 1A and 5A at the time and also six man football. Today's 3A numbers are closer to the old 4A cutoff numbers and that is why it's strange to see long time 4A Longmont down to 3A. My school even played Windsor when they were still 3A (now 4A) and they weren't that different from a good 4A school. Once they made the move up, there weren't much hiccups. Some 3A, 4A, and 5A schools don't have enough players to field one way players and get killed on the football field.

That is why I don't think there is that massive of a difference between 3A to 5A ball these days because some longtime 4A schools were moved down to 3A.
There are a few outlier programs in each lower classification that could be competitive playing up, but in general, 5A programs are far better than 4A and 4A better than 3A

Where you see the big differences are in the trenches, the number of guys who have to play both ways, and with the number of guys you're playing with & against who are going to play some level of college football. In other words, it's a massive difference.

For example, Palmer Ridge was as good as it gets in 3A this year. When they played Pine Creek (one of the best 4A teams), they got manhandled.

If you signed up for a free MaxPreps account, you can see the box score: http://www.maxpreps.com/games/footb...PdX1k-iQqDlqksftA.htm#tab=box-score&schoolid=

In short:

PR - 13 carries for 23 yards
PC - 39 carries for 184 yards

PR (Ty Evans) - 19/41 for 242 with 3 INTs and 1 TD
PC - 9/16 for 129 yards with 0 INTs and 2 TDs

Why would his CU salary be offset by taking some jobs but not others? If he’s the Liberty head coach or the Broncos DB coach then CU owes him less but if he’s the Ole Miss defensive coordinator he gets his full salary? How does this make any sense? It appears RG just cost the AD $4.5 million dollars and there is no logical reason why the contract would have been written that way. Where is the RG criticism?

And how did MacIntyre end up with a contract that was fully guaranteed? Most head coaching contracts are not fully guaranteed. This includes coaches who are much more high profile then MacIntyre.

Last edited:
Why would his CU salary be offset by taking some jobs but not others? If he’s the Liberty head coach or the Broncos DB coach then CU owes him less but if he’s the Ole Miss defensive coordinator he gets his full salary? How does this make any sense? It appears RG just cost the AD $4.5 million dollars and there is no logical reason why the contract would have been written that way. Where is the RG criticism?

And how did MacIntyre end up with a contract that was fully guaranteed? Most head coaching contracts are not fully guaranteed. This includes coaches who are much more high profile then MacIntyre.

I guess you decided not to read the thread?

I guess you decided not to read the thread?

Are you referring to speculation that a reduced buyout will be reached? There hasn’t been any confirmation that is actually happening. Brian Howell doesn’t seem to think it’s happening (for whatever that’s worth).

Even if it does happen why was a salary offset for a college DC job not written into the contract in the first place? Makes zero sense. A settlement could still end up being less then the $4.5 million they would have saved and you don’t have the hassle of a negotiation...if it even happens.

Last edited:
Are you referring to speculation that a reduced buyout will be reached? There hasn’t been any confirmation that is actually happening. Brian Howell doesn’t seem to think it’s happening (for whatever that’s worth).

Even if it does happen why was a salary offset for a college DC job not written into the contract in the first place? Makes zero sense. A settlement could still end up being less then the $4.5 million they would have saved and you don’t have the hassle of a negotiation...if it even happens.

Have you read the thread? No. That’s what I thought.

All of your inquiries (and more) have been answered for you in this thread. I promise.

Speculation? We're literally just reading the contract.

See Denver Post with comments from CU source on 12/10.

See Denver Post with comments from CU source on 12/10.
Here's the article I believe you are referencing: https://www.denverpost.com/2018/12/10/colorado-buffaloes-mike-macintyre-ole-miss-rebels-buyout/

Doesn't sound all that clear for either side:
Based on the 2017 amendment, MacIntyre would be entitled to a $650,000 base salary in 2019, a $725,000 base in 2020, and a $800,000 base in 2021, as well as at least $2.3 million annually over the next three years in supplemental salary tied to “radio, television, other media and public appearances” and “sponsorship support.”
Any financial claim MacIntyre would make for money owed as a result of being fired without cause, the contract reads, would be subject to a mediation process “to be mutually agreed upon by (CU) and MacIntyre.”
If the ex-Buffs coach and the university aren’t able to reach an agreement on the amount of damages within 30 days after MacIntyre’s initial claim is submitted, then new Ole Miss coordinator is “entitled to pursue legal action against (CU) for such damages.”

Doesn't sound all that clear for either side:

That's the point. It wasn't an issue the parties could resolve when the contract was signed, so it will be resolved now. I would be shocked if it led to litigation.

Plati supposedly confirmed to Nate Kreckman that CU will not be negotiating a lower buyout and Mac is entitled to double dip. Plati also seems to claim that this is standard language for head coaches these days. No linkable source, just Nate Kreckman on the radio.

As someone very much pushing the notion that it would be negotiated, I owe a mea culpa. Looks like I was wrong.

Astounding to me that the University would agree to that.

Plati supposedly confirmed to Nate Kreckman that CU will not be negotiating a lower buyout and Mac is entitled to double dip. Plati also seems to claim that this is standard language for head coaches these days. No linkable source, just Nate Kreckman on the radio.

As someone very much pushing the notion that it would be negotiated, I owe a mea culpa. Looks like I was wrong.

If that's the contract, then that's the contract.

Hopefully FHCMM gets a new HC gig next year to wipe out the final 2 years of the buyout.

I guess Plati is going to be dropped off on the side of the road between Boulder and Nederland and told to walk back to Boulder. If he makes it back safely, he still has a job. If not, we will have a new SID.

Yeah. They were amazed that CU could be so stupid.

Another difference in MacIntyre and Tucker contracts: MacIntyre is able to claim the annual salary bonuses he would have earned had he remained as coach. Tucker, if fired, could not claim those unearned raises #cubuffs
4:45 PM · Dec 12, 2018 · Twitter Web Client

Can someone please god tell me that if and when Coach Tucker and the Buffs win that MM does not get a bonus for the team success that he no longer coaches??? OMFG what a crap ass contract!

Another difference in MacIntyre and Tucker contracts: MacIntyre is able to claim the annual salary bonuses he would have earned had he remained as coach. Tucker, if fired, could not claim those unearned raises #cubuffs

Can someone please god tell me that if and when Coach Tucker and the Buffs win that MM does not get a bonus for the team success that he no longer coaches??? OMFG what a crap ass contract!

According to his contract, the only bonuses to which he’s entitled are the guaranteed bonuses tied academics. That’s a part of the $9,775,000 he will (apparently) get from Colorado.

I assume this is CU's lawyer who checked out the contract

lawyer1.gif

According to his contract, the only bonuses to which he’s entitled are the guaranteed bonuses tied academics. That’s a part of the $9,775,000 he will (apparently) get from Colorado.

So this amounted to another $300k because he set the table for academic and community success!!! Thank goodness he won’t get a bonus for our upcoming PAC12 titles!

MM may have helped us out of the hole we were in, but this contract and his double dipping will be an albatross for a while.

So this amounted to another $300k because he set the table for academic and community success!!! Thank goodness he won’t get a bonus for our upcoming PAC12 titles!

MM may have helped us out of the hole we were in, but this contract and his double dipping will be an albatross for a while.

Yeah, $375,000 per year.

This entire contract debacle is fascinating to me. I’d really like to know the basis for CU not suing for relief. I spoke to a government contracts lawyer on my wife’s staff after he read the contract in its entirety. They agree with @BuffsNYC assessment that this scenario of the contract demands arbitration to create relief.

Yeah, $375,000 per year.

This entire contract debacle is fascinating to me. I’d really like to know the basis for CU not suing for relief. I spoke to a government contracts lawyer on my wife’s staff after he read the contract in its entirety. They agree with @BuffsNYC assessment that this scenario of the contract demands arbitration to create relief.
I think the relief is still to come. I believe there is 30 days for FHCMM to make a claim to the income and that is what actually triggers the requirement for arbitration/mediation. Of course, I could be completely wrong too.

There are a few outlier programs in each lower classification that could be competitive playing up, but in general, 5A programs are far better than 4A and 4A better than 3A
I saw Loveland in the State 4A finals. That is a very, very good football team. Probably playing in the wrong classification if we are being honest. Skyline scored 14 points in the game, which was apparently more than anybody had scored on them all year COMBINED. When a team dominates an entire classification like that, they’re probably in the wrong classification.

I saw Loveland in the State 4A finals. That is a very, very good football team. Probably playing in the wrong classification if we are being honest. Skyline scored 14 points in the game, which was apparently more than anybody had scored on them all year COMBINED. When a team dominates an entire classification like that, they’re probably in the wrong classification.
Loveland was definitely an exception this season. They beat Ralston Valley who was a top 6-8 5A team. Monarch has traditionally been another 4A program that probably could play up and be decent. Pine Creek is another. Pomona is actually well under the 5A enrollment line but they choose to play up (hint: they recruit a lot and are coached well). Few and far between, though.

Loveland was definitely an exception this season. They beat Ralston Valley who was a top 6-8 5A team. Monarch has traditionally been another 4A program that probably could play up and be decent. Pine Creek is another. Pomona is actually well under the 5A enrollment line but they choose to play up (hint: they recruit a lot and are coached well). Few and far between, though.
I felt awful for the Skyline kids. They had a great year only to run into a team that really shouldn’t be playing in that classification. But that’s life. Nobody says life is fair. I would have liked to see how Loveland would have done against the 5A teams that played right afterwards.

I felt awful for the Skyline kids. They had a great year only to run into a team that really shouldn’t be playing in that classification. But that’s life. Nobody says life is fair. I would have liked to see how Loveland would have done against the 5A teams that played right afterwards.
Well one really good season doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be playing in that classification. Loveland is not typically that dominant. They might have made a decent game against Creek but they would have gotten destroyed by Valor.

I think the relief is still to come. I believe there is 30 days for FHCMM to make a claim to the income and that is what actually triggers the requirement for arbitration/mediation. Of course, I could be completely wrong too.

Given what Plati said, I am genuinely curious about what the AD legal team will do.

Back