What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Miscellaneous volleyball off-season news

With the understanding that a new coach always makes things a huge question mark for how the season turns out...

For our volleyball experts, what should the expectations be for this season? NCAA tournament? Challenge in the Pac-12? Rebuilding year?

I'm no volleyball expert but my expectation is that they should be able to make the NCAA tournament. I have heard/read some good comments from the players about the new coaches tailoring the offense to the players skills (radical idea, I know!) and introducing some new ideas during the spring practices. I was originally expecting this to be a re-build year after graduating Edelman and Austin. But getting transfer OH Alexis Smith from Purdue who seems she is developing to be a pretty good replacement for Austin and a couple of setters with some D1 experience so Gabby Simpson could still be used some at opposite if needed, I'm more optimistic. Last years team should have been in the tourney but they shot themselves in the foot with 2 bad loses ... on the road at Rice and at home to Oregon. IMO, if this team can reasonably consistently play to their potential they should make the NCAA.

I'm not an expert either and I know the Pac is loaded with talent. I am hoping the team will be competitive enough not to lose when they shouldn't. If they take care of business when they are supposed to, they should make the tourney. I think Jesse has done a great job of recruiting. Wish I could come to the meet the coaches, but I can't.

Assume most people interested would already be notified via email or whatever, but wanted to mention that, as buffgal indicated, there's a Meet the Coaches event hosted by the Alumni Association on Wednesday, August 3rd scheduled from 5:30 PM to 8:00. New women's bball coach Payne and volleyball's Mahoney will be there.

More info and registration available at http://www.colorado.edu/alumni/meetthecoaches .

Per Coach Mahoney tonight, there will be a Black/Gold scrimmage on Aug 20. They start fall practice next week. He also mentioned that Frankie Shebby is indeed joining CU but she will have to sit out this season.

there are some serious restrictions on transfer within the PAC-12 conference. That's one of them.

there are some serious restrictions on transfer within the PAC-12 conference. That's one of them.

I hope she at least gets to keep her two years of eligibility.
(Per the Pac transfer rules I can find, http://compliance.pac-12.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Intra-Conference-Transfer-Policy-15-16.pdf , sounds like the default is a student athlete loses a year of eligibility when transferring within the Pac in addition to sitting out, but also looks to me that, IF I read them right (all formal rules make my head spin), as long as Oregon granted her the "right" kind of waiver, she'd still be able to study and play at CU for 2 years starting next season.?.)

I read the article and it says due to her transfer from another Pac 12 school, she has to sit out a year. Doesn't mention if she has to give up a year of eligibility.

I really know nothing about volleyball, so once again Bebe will have to come to the rescue here, but:

• Jesse Mahoney stated they will play very "fast." Asked to explain, he stated this means that the ball will be set very quickly and won't float. Ideally it won't go higher than the antenna on the sides of the net. He said to watch the US women in Olympic volleyball to get a sense of what they are aiming for.

• They started the year with no setters and now have three. Gabby Simpson will play both setter and outside hitter. Mahoney stated she is a a world class setter.

• Assistant coach Lee Maes has known Jesse for over 20 years and one reason he came to CU is he believes it can be one of the top programs in the country.

• Practices are open and fans are welcome to attend.

OK ... let's see. Here's what else I can think of:
- Jesse was asked about educating fans who don't know much about volleyball (like Mark ;) ) and he said they plan to do chalk talks before a couple of matches. Also said he will look into more things like providing cheat sheets of terms etc.
- They will be experimenting with line-ups, doing 6-2, modified 6-2, some 5-1, especially in the early matches.
- Gabby's broken finger (from diving for a ball in a spring scrimmage) is all healed and she is ready to go.
- Jesse is really impressed with the level of talent on the team
- Players are still mad about not getting an NCAA invite last season and they don't plan to be in that position again.
- A must have for playing a fast offense is good passing on the first contact, whether that is serve receive or a dig of the opponents kill attempt. Jesse is pleased with the play of the 4 libero / defensive players. I take that to mean returning players CeCe Simpson, Gwen Herring, Gabby Carta-Samuels and FR Rachel Wipple.
- The Black / Gold scrimmage on 8/20 will be played as regular games. There will be some mixing up of players but it will be done in regular game format, not drills.

Higher quality official video of the same press conference that was periscoped in the earlier post.

For Mark and anyone else who wants to learn some basics of volleyball ..... I just found this on the NBC Olympics stream site. Volleyball 101 ... looks to have about 8 sections from "Basics" to "Rules" etc. Anyone reading this needs to know that NCAA volleyball and Olympic volleyball don't follow the exact same rules regarding things like substitutions and some of the finer points of rules. But this should be a good introductory read.
http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/volleyball-101-basics

New Cubuffs (Linda Sprouse) article out on the team's annual training trip to the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2016/8/12/volleyball-team-to-train-at-usotc.aspx

"
BOULDER—The University of Colorado volleyball team is in the middle of its preseason training camp and will soon head south to Colorado Springs, Colo., for its annual training at the United States Olympic Training Center from August 14-18.

The USOTC in Colorado Springs is the headquarters for the U.S. Olympic Committee administration and the Olympic Training Center programs. As of August 1998, there are 12 USOC member organizations that have their national headquarters on the complex, and 12 other member organizations and two international sports federations located nearby in Colorado Springs, including USA Volleyball.

The Buffs will return to campus on August 18 and will have an intrasquad scrimmage at the Coors Events Center on August 20 at 3 p.m.

"

AVCA Pre-season poll is out. 4 Pac 12 teams and CSU in the top 25. 3 more Pac 12 teams receiving votes.

In the notes of an article in the Oregon Duck website (http://www.goducks.com/news/2016/8/...se-youth-depth-in-green-yellow-scrimmage.aspx) , sounds like the Ducks and Buffs are the two Pac 12 schools that will be instituting the optional video replay challenge review of calls this coming season for its home matches. (I assume this may once again be proof of how good CU athletic's video department is.?.)

(Credit to vballfreak808 in the Volleytalk forum for the above article link.)

Per http://www.ncaa.com/news/volleyball...9/video-challenges-approved-womens-volleyball , the rules for challenges will be:

"
The protocol for the proposed rules change is as follows:

• Each team will have three challenges per match. Challenges are not tied to timeouts.
• Only the team that lost the rally will be able to challenge. If the call is reversed, the team that lost the review will be able to challenge another aspect of the point. Each team will be limited to one challenge per rally.
• A coach will need to make the challenge before the referee extends his arm for service to begin the next point.
• There must be indisputable video evidence for the official to change the original call. Coaches will be allowed to challenge the following plays:
• Net faults: players contacting the net/antenna.
• Player touching the ball: four hits/blocker/defensive player.
• Whether a ball was in or out (this includes pancakes and whether the ball touched the antenna).
• Service foot faults.
"

Last edited:
Back