What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Missouri game thread

I don't think it was the offense as much as the defense. Also, our ability to break the press was awesome.

I just hope Dufault keeps playing like he has...he has really turned it around under Boyle's coaching

Where are all the Boyle haters now?
I never saw any Boyle hating. Just a bit of skepticism after a couple of losses we thought we should have won. But his system seems to begin to be catching on, doesn't it? But this team still has holes that will be exploited. I like the pace we showed. Teams will have a tough time in Boulder.

Last edited:
I never saw any Boyle hating. Just a bit of skepticism after a couple of losses we thought we should have won. But his system seems to begin to be catching on, doesn't it? But this team still has holes that will be exploited. I like the pace we showed. Teams will have a tough time in Boulder.

Altitude (elevation) is our 6th man. The coach should be using the advantage.

Before the season, I thought this team could make the NIT. I still do, but I'm a bit more optomistic right now. A conference road win or two and we could be dancing.

I'm still not on board. If/when this team beats someone who doesn't run a gimmick offense I'll be optimistic. We matched up extraordinarily well with Mizzou and their coach is a ****ing moron. He never should have gone back to the full court press and should have stayed in the half court zone defense.

I don't think it was the offense as much as the defense. Also, our ability to break the press was awesome.

This. I couldn't get over how easy we made it look. Inbound to the corner (every time we did this I thought we were gonna get in all kinds of trouble), little bounce pass right back to the guy that inbounded the ball and we basically walked up the court. I was sitting behind some Mizzou fans (who didn't particularly appreciate me yelling Fu@k em up right in their ear all game) and was talking all kinds of shiat about their terrible defense.

I've never seen a team handle the 40 min of hell like that before. It seemed like we weren't even working all that hard. Minus that time from about the 8 minute to the 3 minute mark, not only was their pressure ineffective, it was leading to easy buckets for us. Our breakouts were beautiful.

I'm still not on board. If/when this team beats someone who doesn't run a gimmick offense I'll be optimistic. We matched up extraordinarily well with Mizzou and their coach is a ****ing moron. He never should have gone back to the full court press and should have stayed in the half court zone defense.

Fair enough. Just so you got me straight, I'm not saying this is a sweet 16 team. There are definite *****s in the armor and the with the lack of depth, the team is one injury/suspension away from deep trouble (knocking on wood at the moment).

I saw about 1/2 the game today, but what I did see was energy and confidence. Big difference from the past to regimes. Most importantly, they didn't fold down the stretch -- they kept their composure and pulled away in the end.

Bottom line is, they only need 5-7 more wins to make it to some postseason tourney. I think that's very doable.

get over the loss to USF for ****s sake dah

This. I couldn't get over how easy we made it look. Inbound to the corner (every time we did this I thought we were gonna get in all kinds of trouble), little bounce pass right back to the guy that inbounded the ball and we basically walked up the court. I was sitting behind some Mizzou fans (who didn't particularly appreciate me yelling Fu@k em up right in their ear all game) and was talking all kinds of shiat about their terrible defense.

I've never seen a team handle the 40 min of hell like that before. It seemed like we weren't even working all that hard. Minus that time from about the 8 minute to the 3 minute mark, not only was their pressure ineffective, it was leading to easy buckets for us. Our breakouts were beautiful.

i, too, was a little concerned that we inbounds the ball to the same place and heading into a very trappable area towards the corner....pretty much every time. we made some bad decisions out of the press break, some dangerous passes and did turn it over 5-6 times but almost *never* 2 or 3 times in a row (how they get going)....which i thought was key. they never really had that 2 minutes where they outscore you 13-3 and you have to call TO and regroup.

Fair enough. Just so you got me straight, I'm not saying this is a sweet 16 team. There are definite *****s in the armor and the with the lack of depth, the team is one injury/suspension away from deep trouble (knocking on wood at the moment).

I saw about 1/2 the game today, but what I did see was energy and confidence. Big difference from the past to regimes. Most importantly, they didn't fold down the stretch -- they kept their composure and pulled away in the end.

Bottom line is, they only need 5-7 more wins to make it to some postseason tourney. I think that's very doable.

I've only seen the Indiana game, and I have to say based off of that, I do not think this year's team is more confident and energetic than last year's team. Now, I understand that was some weeks ago, and the team has hopefully grown in confidence and cohesiveness...but, I'm not completely on board with Boyle yet. I support him, but my thoughts at the end of last season were bubble-NCAA year under Bz. We can still be that, but the non-conference play left things to be desired (albeit not disasterous as some on these boards were talking like).

I also think we need at LEAST 7 more wins to make NIT. I thnk you want 8 more wins in conference play, hopefully 9 more, to give yourself a solid shot at being selected for the tournament.

I've only seen the Indiana game, and I have to say based off of that, I do not think this year's team is more confident and energetic than last year's team. Now, I understand that was some weeks ago, and the team has hopefully grown in confidence and cohesiveness...but, I'm not completely on board with Boyle yet. I support him, but my thoughts at the end of last season were bubble-NCAA year under Bz. We can still be that, but the non-conference play left things to be desired (albeit not disasterous as some on these boards were talking like).

I also think we need at LEAST 7 more wins to make NIT. I thnk you want 8 more wins in conference play, hopefully 9 more, to give yourself a solid shot at being selected for the tournament.

Yesterday, Boyle had a great game plan. I want you to remember that this is a Missouri team (with many of the same players they had last year) that absolutely torched CU in every game. Boyle I believe was masterful with his timeouts, never letting Missouri get on one of those rolls that would let them get the game under 5.

With the energy, the way we attacked the glass and two of the best playes in this country, this team should not be counted out in any game. Go .500 in the Big XII, win a first round tournament game in the Big XII tournament and this team can go dancing. Otherwise, we go into the NIT with a chance to do well there.

I've got a question for you bball geeks, and you know who you are. It seems to me that running a full court press would really wear down the defender more than it would the offense. So, it seems to me that trying to press CU in Boulder will prove to be a bad idea. Therefore, I'd expect that, after this game, we will not see consistent pressing in home games much anymore. Maybe they will be thrown in as a change of pace, but not every time up the floor. So, what will the counter for that be on offense? Run even harder off the inbound? Its pretty apparent that, unlike his half court predecessor, Boyle intends to run a full court offense. He will force the defense to run hard to get back on defense and wear their flat lander legs out. This may be even more effective in the Pac.

Mizzou may not be as good as advertised but they still came into the game ranked in the top 10, are considered to be a quality program, and are highly likely to be a tourney team. For right now the Buffs beating Mizzou is something that will at least draw the attention of people across the country.

At the same time the Buffs haven't had a great deal of success in the past against Mizzou or other ranked teams home or on the road. This is a step forward for the program. A part of eventually beating quality teams is believing that you can beat quality teams and a win like this goes a long way in establishing that idea in the players minds as well as telling other teams that this is a team that can beat them.

I have, like many of you, followed this team for a very long time, going on a good 18 years now. I have yet to see a team here, even when Chauncey was there, playing at this level and showing such continued improvement. It's not just because of the win yesterday, they've been improving each week. It's all about the coaching and I think CU may have finally found their man. Tad Boyle is tough with these kids but he's also got coaching skills and that's a makes a difference. Plus he's a good fit for the college game unlike Bzdelik (who I was in favor of by the way). It's way too early to call post-season, but if they play more often like they've done recently, since the Indiana game, they're gonna be just fine!!

They don't often throw the ball away; they rebound and play defense as a team; there is leadership set by example and there is good communication as a group on the court; they take higher percentage shots and take longer shots when needed and open, they rarely force the issue unless necessary.

They spanked a very good (I don't care if they're on the road or at home) Mizzou team yesterday. That's an Elite 8 basketball team if not better, and arguably the best team in the conference once everything is said and done. Yes! Even maybe edging KU by seasons end.

I've got a question for you bball geeks, and you know who you are. It seems to me that running a full court press would really wear down the defender more than it would the offense. So, it seems to me that trying to press CU in Boulder will prove to be a bad idea. Therefore, I'd expect that, after this game, we will not see consistent pressing in home games much anymore. Maybe they will be thrown in as a change of pace, but not every time up the floor. So, what will the counter for that be on offense? Run even harder off the inbound? Its pretty apparent that, unlike his half court predecessor, Boyle intends to run a full court offense. He will force the defense to run hard to get back on defense and wear their flat lander legs out. This may be even more effective in the Pac.

Yes, pressing is physically harder on the defense than the offense, but its all about what your game plan is. Mizzou is a press' em type of team. They figure that they will be in better shape, and they will make you turn over the ball, and give them easy buckets. This is the key, you have to take care of the ball, and know how to break the press, which CU did both.

Pressing the whole game like Mizzou did will not get you a turnover all the time, but what it does is make the other team's offense stressed out the whole time, and sooner or later, the offense will break down and yield turnovers towards the end of the game. I believe this is something that you will see CU doing in a few years, the biggest reason we cannot do it now is because you need a deep bench to keep the pressure up like that, something that CU just doesnt have right now, but if you notice who Boyle is recuriting, they are all very athletic, and can run this kind of Defense.

Keep in mind this is the type of defense that CU had a lot of problems with last year, I think you will see CU score on people pretty consisitantly regardless of who they are, the key to us winning will be our defense. We cannot expect our team to play like that every game, but if they do, they can beat anyone out there. I also agree I am very optimistic as I have seen improvement every single game (with exception of Western New Mexico).

CU W over MU still listed on Yahoo sports "headlines"....can't beat that with a stick.

actually, you can! CU-MU available on ESPN 360 replay!!!

woot!

I have, like many of you, followed this team for a very long time, going on a good 18 years now. I have yet to see a team here, even when Chauncey was there, playing at this level and showing such continued improvement. It's not just because of the win yesterday, they've been improving each week. It's all about the coaching and I think CU may have finally found their man. Tad Boyle is tough with these kids but he's also got coaching skills and that's a makes a difference. Plus he's a good fit for the college game unlike Bzdelik (who I was in favor of by the way). It's way too early to call post-season, but if they play more often like they've done recently, since the Indiana game, they're gonna be just fine!!

They don't often throw the ball away; they rebound and play defense as a team; there is leadership set by example and there is good communication as a group on the court; they take higher percentage shots and take longer shots when needed and open, they rarely force the issue unless necessary.

They spanked a very good (I don't care if they're on the road or at home) Mizzou team yesterday. That's an Elite 8 basketball team if not better, and arguably the best team in the conference once everything is said and done. Yes! Even maybe edging KU by seasons end.

While I don't think they're better than Elite 8 (time will tell), I completely agree - KU is NOT that great this year...it's a joke the were ranked so high...

I wish I got to see this game...work traveling sucks. I haven't seen Mizzou play, so I don't know how good of a team they are. However, I will say this, I was very impressed last year by Baylor, and we beat them. Maybe Mizzou is better than last year's Baylor team, maybe not. The point I'm getting at is that this is one game. Mizzou may be ranked higher, but rankings mean nothing - it's all about making the dance and your seed/spot in the field. Bz had his game with Baylor and it amounted to little afterwards. Now Boyle has his...I'm still reserving the kool-aid until I see something more. I hate to sound Hawkish - but with the coaching change, it's important to not get too low on the team, nor should we get too high.

I saw MU agaisnt G'Town, big comeback for OT loss....and against Illinois (nice win). I think they are a legit top 25/NCAA 5-7 type seed at minimum. and by virtue of the way they play, a dangerous out in a win or go home one game situation for anybody. all that has to happen is they get hot on the press, a matchup with otherwise very good team with ball handling issues...and like that MU is in the Sweet 16.

as far as BU last year, the big, athletic freak they had playing center who t-ferred from Michigan made all the difference imo for the Scott Drew guard shoot happy offense...on the D end. BU's guards get beat off the dribble (as usual, terrible perimeter D) but the big freak steps up in the paint and instead of a layup (BU the previous two years with Tweety Carty and Jerrells)....you have a contested shot or shot block or kickout. without the freak, we'll see. they are talented for sure but Dunn has a 10 cent head and Drew is nobody's X and O wizard.

that said, i don't think this year's MU team is better than last year's BU team (which had Duke on the ropes in the NCAA, but Duke wins those kinds of games while Scotty Drew doesn't)....but, the Anderson MU team with Demarre Carroll (the perfect Mike Anderson player, big physical quick long arms shoot the rock from all over the floor good feet, Matt Lawrence, JT Tiller and the other guy...was better than that BU team by a lot.

edit: names: Epke Udoh (freak); Leo Lyons? (MU player).

Last edited:
While I don't think they're better than Elite 8 (time will tell), I completely agree - KU is NOT that great this year...it's a joke the were ranked so high...
I think the jury is still out on KU. Without Selby, I would tend to agree that KU is a bit down this year. We'll know more about this KU team as Selby gets more games under his belt. He could turn out to be the most talented player to wear a KU uniform in recent years. He appears way ahead of where Henry was last year. Also, Marcus Morris has turned into a nice player. I also think that Thomas Robinson is much improved and he could end up being a very good player. They don't have the names (yet), but I wouldn't sell this KU team short.

Scotch to FC during the 2nd half: "Dude I can't believe this, we're up by 18 points!" Damn it was fun yesterday. :thumbsup:

Even more surprising was the rebound total: CU 47 - Mizzou 33. Our boys were kickin ass and takin names down low yesterday, :rock: and that was with their best rebounder(Roberson) in foul trouble most of the game. You could tell Mizzou really wasn't expecting it.

Shannon Sharpe had the defensive play of the game when he turned the ball over on the inbound, but then blocked the Mizzou player going for a dunk after the turnover. Just a sick ****ing block! That dude can jump.

Love Higgins playing point at the end of games. Burks is the man. Can't say enough good things about Dufault and Knutson right now. Only one game and still a long way to go, but damn they looked good yesterday! :gobuffs:

FC said:
i was at the game today and the atmosphere was electric. if you live in the denver/boulder area you need to try to make a game this year; this team responds extremely well to the crowd.

:yeahthat: The official attendance yesterday was 8,694. With 7 games remaining here's hoping that is the lowest number we see the rest of the season.

Back