What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Most disappointing part of this game

Was how bad our defense was. I expected the defense to be bad this season, but I assumed it would improve every game.... But the defense regressed BADLY in this game. That is not a good sign...
Defense was bad, but they came up with 3 Turnovers, got a crucial stop at the end and only gave up 3 points in the second half. The offense was worse

4 acceptable quarters so far. 10 turnovers? Could be better, could be worse.

Defense was bad, but they came up with 3 Turnovers, got a crucial stop at the end and only gave up 3 points in the second half. The offense was worse
I'm not talking about just the scores. I'm talking about how they played as a whole. Getting blown off the ball almost every play. Looking like they've never played football before in their lives and running around like chickens with their heads cut off. They only gave up 30 (very lucky that AFA didn't score 21 more), but they were dominated

Last edited:
Don't take anything from a defensive performance against a service academy. Army ran for 340 against Oklahoma last year. Service Academies gash much better D's than ours all the time.

Very much agree with this.

Worth noting that the service academies and the triple option is a...very atypical offense for college football programs to run. Buffs would not be the first team to struggle against it. The academies are always trap games as a result.

Not sure Oklahoma’s defense is one you want to use usr in a comparison here.
Far more talented and far more "dudes" on that defense than what we have. Should I talk about Army controlling the ball against Michigan last week? Navy running all over ND a few times. Army putting up 500 yards on Houston. The point is, Army, AFA, and Navy over the years have run for big yards against better teams than the one CU currently rolls out.

I never said fire tucker, you moron. I don't know who you are but you sound like a 5 year old so im just going to block you
Sorry. 🤷🏻‍♂️Wrong drunk. BTW, what happened to that thread?

Last edited:
The way I look at it, the D only allowed 23 points in regulation.

Certainly the Buffs O should have been able to score 24 points at home against a MWC opponent.

I disagree the D shoulders the brunt of this loss. The concern lies with play calling and failure to execute on offense. The penalties were vexing. Defenders pressuring Montez into turnovers on downs is on the OLine. So are the stuffed runs up the middle by CU’s RBs.

And why Laviska wasn’t called upon more is on the coaches. Gotta get the ball in the hands of the best players.

Hats off to the AF D for stopping Montez, limiting YAC, and limiting big plays.

The answer to the question in the thread title is: Overtime.

I'm not talking about just the scores. I'm talking about how they played as a whole. Getting blown off the ball almost every play. Looking like they've never played football before in their lives and running around like chickens with their heads cut off. They only gave up 30 (very lucky that AFA didn't score 21 more), but they were dominated
Yes. This happens when you play the triple option.

Yes. This happens when you play the triple option.
I'm not gonna give them that much of a pass, but it is different preparation. You just don't see it much anymore, not to mention giving up an 81 yard pass off of it. Offense, specifically one person, I'm going to be quiet about.

CU mentally lapsed in all three phases today. Everyone took their turn. This defense is still swimming especially at linebacker and secondary (except Onu). The saving grace so far is we are somewhat healthy on defense. They are creating turnovers and that will always give you a chance

If we can’t stop them, we need to outscore them. Offense failed. I thought the defense would struggle, but the offense would keep up.
Exactly. I wasn't surprised about the points that AFA scored. But I really thought the Buffs would be much better than they were on offense. When CU had to settle for a field goal on their second possession with a short field it was a harbinger of things to come. Honestly, it seemed as the offense was just going through the motions much of the time.

Was it the third CU possession when Shinault was open behind the defense and Montez out too much air under the ball? IN this game that was deadly.

Exactly. I wasn't surprised about the points that AFA scored. But I really thought the Buffs would be much better than they were on offense. When CU had to settle for a field goal on their second possession with a short field it was a harbinger of things to come. Honestly, it seemed as the offense was just going through the motions much of the time.

Was it the third CU possession when Shinault was open behind the defense and Montez out too much air under the ball? IN this game that was deadly.
When you play a service academy, you're going to get far fewer possessions than you usually would. Therefore you can't piss away any of them. AFA makes a play and forces a punt. That you could live with, but CU essentially pissed away all of their possessions in the first half except the first one. That's really sad to say now that I really look at it. Go back and watch the game, and be it a stupid false start, a bad throw, or something else, AFA didn't have to make plays to force punts. We just blew it on every possession.

Why all the low percentage long passes? Poor play calling. The idea that a Montez to Shenault connection was going to be the key to
beating these guys was risky from the jump.

Truthfully, the second half was a gift, as was getting into OT. If the AFA QB puts a little less mustard on that tipped end zone INT to Onu, the game is over. This game was not as close as the score would tell. And at some point we need to hold an opponent to less than 30 points.

We were bad at every phase of the game excet Kinney. The coverage down the field could have helped him more.
Montez was terrible today with bad reads, bad throws and poor decisions in general. Seemed the O play calling was kinda conservative and should have lined up and forced the run more. air force looked faster on O and D. Not sure if the Buffs were tired or just playing tight but air force was definitely faster. So many plays could have changed the outcome, but remember the old saying "players make plays" and the Buffs didnt make enough. Suks.

Back