What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Naming rights for CSU's new stadium - ideas?

+1. we all joke about csu being aggy and whatnot, but at the end of the day i think we all know csu is a good school with students that are a lot like those at cu. gasm actually believes we are inherently dumb because of our allegiance, its pathetic.
That's ironic. I dont think you're dumb because of your allegiance, I think you're dumb because of the stupid things you say.

Time after time you guys get on my case about everything I say, then it ends up coming up true (Phil Steele's mag, feasibility projections (believe them or not--your choice). etc

So attendance and revenues have already increased 22%? True is butts in the seats and money in the bank. CSU has neither.

So attendance and revenues have already increased 22%? True is butts in the seats and money in the bank. CSU has neither.

Just wait. With the excitement over the new AD, new HC and stadium plan I'm expecting to see at least half of Mile High filled with green shirts. How long have they been sold out of their ticket allotment, again?

Just wait. With the excitement over the new AD, new HC and stadium plan I'm expecting to see at least half of Mile High filled with green shirts. How long have they been sold out of their ticket allotment, again?

Half? With all their enthusiasm it will be a sea of green on both sides. How can a thinking Buff fan maintain their Buffalo allegeance after seeing the "not a direct tv" rip off commercial, read the feasibility report and see the stadium drawings? A convincing cavelcade of pure truthiness.

+1. we all joke about csu being aggy and whatnot, but at the end of the day i think we all know csu is a good school with students that are a lot like those at cu.
The students are very similar, for instance, they all got in to CSU.

The students are very similar, for instance, they all got in to CSU.
I didn't (didn't apply, **** CSU).

The students are very similar though but at the same time, we're not. I don't know how to explain it though except I've got friends from both schools. That's probably the only good thing I've ever said about CSU in my life.

I might be in the minority, but I want CSU to build an on-campus stadium and get in a BCS conference. Since we are already forced to play them, we might as well hope they become a marquee opponent (I hope we become marquee as well). Plus I think Fort Collins is a great town and would love to go there for a game as opposed to going to Denver.

I'm with you. Just don't think it's going to happen any time remotely soon. You never know. It would take a new stadium that coincides with a Chris Peterson type coach to get the program/school/fanbase out of it's rut.

Warm fuzzy brotherly feelings are all well and good, but I think you both are idots. We already struggle mightily for local recruits and media thanks to such a transient local population. Add in another mouth to feed? No thanks.

The whole improvement of college football along the front range will elevate everybody is the dumbest argument ever. Colorado was winning and competing for national championships without any assistance from little bro.

Last edited:
Time after time you guys get on my case about everything I say, then it ends up coming up true (Phil Steele's mag, feasibility projections (believe them or not--your choice). etc
You said that ground would be broken on the stadium in 2012.

You said that the Tony Franks would make an announcement that the stadium would go forward once students arrive on campus this fall. The announcement is now pushed back to October.

You take the feasibility study as Gospel, without showing any skepticism about the business model and its assumptions. How are those naming rights and private donations coming along?

You parrot Phil Steel without critically adding any analysis to account for the various injuries, suspensions, transfers and academic issues that have visited both schools after the magazine was published.

What have you said that actually came true again? Or shall we wait until Sept 1st to settle this score?

Jellyderp. Nuff said.

That would make a lot more sense for CSU. Build for their needs but allow the option to expand if justified. UNC- Charlotte is in some ways very similar to CSU. They don't have a big local fan base, they don't have a lot to offer bigger confernces to justify moving up.

In short they are stuck in the middle, do nothing and decline, do to much and have a crushing debt and a white elephant on their hands. This looks like a reasonable solution allowing them the flexibility to grow should the opportunity arise and meets their current needs now without locking them into a financial situation they don't want to be in.

The advantage UNC-Charlotte has over CSU is that they're in a bigger city but the bad news is that college teams that are in an NFL city typically don't draw very well. They start play in 2013 and will play at the FCS level for 2 years and will move up to FBS and play in Conference USA starting in 2015.

The advantage UNC-Charlotte has over CSU is that they're in a bigger city but the bad news is that college teams that are in an NFL city typically don't draw very well. They start play in 2013 and will play at the FCS level for 2 years and will move up to FBS and play in Conference USA starting in 2015.

Technically Ft. Collins isn't an NFL city but Denver is close enough and this is a Broncos state. Thousands of fans would rather pay more money and drive to Denver to see a game than go to a CSU game in their home town.

UNC-Charlotte may be contending with the NFL but the college football culture is strong in that part of the country. If they put a good product on the field I can certainly see them being much more successful than CSU has ever shown even when they were winning.

Warm fuzzy brotherly feelings are all well and good, but I think you both are idots. We already struggle mightily for local recruits and media thanks to such a transient local population. Add in another mouth to feed? No thanks.

The whole improvement of college football along the front range will elevate everybody is the dumbest argument ever. Colorado was winning and competing for national championships without any assistance from little bro.

See I don't buy the whole we can only be strong if they are weak argument. Let's face facts right now, the majority of our recruits come from other places and we seem to be fighting schools like Oregon and Texas for our Colorado recruits so no matter how awesome CSU gets, they will never match up to a team like Texas.

I think both teams can be successful.

Does anyone know the attendance of Hughes going back into the 80s? Would like to look at it, but I can't find it anywhere

Does anyone know the attendance of Hughes going back into the 80s? Would like to look at it, but I can't find it anywhere

Don't have the numbers off hand but if I remember correctly (Gasm will probably come along and try to claim the numbers were double even though the stadium wouldn't hold it) through the 70's into the early 80's they averaged in the low 20k's maybe even dropping into the high teens. When Earl Bruce came in at the end of the 80's and they started to become respectable the attendance rose although not by huge amounts. Sony came in replacing Bruce in about 93 and they started to have their glory years. At the maximum they averaged close to 28k for a couple of years when they were ranked. Since then with the decline of the program they have seen a steady decline back into the low 20's. In terms of actual attendance that number is greatly inflated since they had a lot of distrubuted tickets going to invisible fans in the last couple of years.

The NCAA site only has official records extending back to 1998. The last time CSU averaged home sell-outs was in 1998, 2002 and 2003 (30-32k). Having gone to school there in the mid-1990's the crowds were similar then with the highest attended game ever being the 1994 game against Utah (approx. 39k). CSU averaged roughly 90-91% capacity (27-28k) in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, and 2005. Things started to decline in 2006.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Stats/Football/Attendance/index.html

Last edited:
The NCAA site only has official records extending back to 1998. The last time CSU averaged home sell-outs was in 1998, 2002 and 2003 (30-32k). Having gone to school there in the mid-1990's the crowds were similar then with the highest attended game ever being the 1994 game against Utah (approx. 39k). CSU averaged roughly 90-91% capacity (27-28k) in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, and 2005. Things started to decline in 2006.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Stats/Football/Attendance/index.html

Rep. Good stuff. Gasm are you paying attention? This is how you validate your claims on an opponents website.

Rep. Good stuff. Gasm are you paying attention? This is how you validate your claims on an opponents website.
Arguing with gasm has made me soft. What with actual facts and sources and links and stuff, I don't even know how to respond with something other than... good job?

I just looked at the CSU media and statistics guides, and it's sort of shocking how little actual information is in them. And if someone wants cumulative record information of any type - you're going to have to consolidate it yourself...

Why was looking at CSU's information guide? I started by thinking, hmm the CU media/stats guide has an attendance column in the section where they list season-by-season records, the question of how many people attend CSU games should be answered in a similar way in CSU's guide. Yeah, no. I also noticed something else was missing: cumulative record against common opponents. I don't expect a listing for every single opponent ever, but they should list the all-time record against their conference and/or against teams that they have played more than a half dozen times. But no, if you want to figure that out, you're going to have to do the math yourself. (Hey Lambs, the way to make the media like you is to make their job easier for them - serve them up the stats they want, without their having to ask - don't make them work for it. Plati sometimes gets into a bunker mentality, and sometimes has trouble counting, but CU makes media research pretty damn easy - and that's a good thing.)*

So since the only thorough information comes from CU, I decided to look at the attendance for CU's games at CSU over the years; my first thought was that it would overstate their attendance, but at least it would be a real number. But in looking back through our record book, I realized that we used to have AD's that knew how to negotiate, which means there's not enough information to even be worth compiling. From 1948 to 1958, we played 11 times, 7 times in Boulder. We played 10 times from 1983 to 1997 - seven of those games were in Folsom. If this series is to continue long term, I think those need to be our terms - 2 for 1, and we are open to change that to 1:1 if they ever actually manage to get into a BCS conference.

*Small aside on this, CU really is spoiled on how solid of a record book we actually have - I just noticed this tidbit from our Information Guide:
Full season statistics are available dating back to 1946; Colorado was the first collegiate program to include these in its media guide (in 2001), with an assist to the Denver Broncos, which started doing it in 1995 and is now common in the NFL. Thanks to the foresight of former SID’s Dan Partner, Phil Danielson, H.J. Hicks and Fred “The Count” Casotti, Colorado’s comprehensive filing system started back in 1946 and has been maintained through the years, as over 99 percent of the original play-by-plays remain on file at CU. This enabled a complete record book audit in the summer of 2001, along with the ability to compile several statistics that didn’t come into being until the late 1970s.

Thank you sir - rep delivered

Part 3 from the Denver Post

Amid the national reshuffling, Brigham Young, Utah and Texas Christian have departed the Mountain West, and Boise State and San Diego State will leave next summer. During the turmoil and maneuvering, CSU's inquiries into possible membership in the Big 12 Conference were met with indifference (and that might be putting it politely). So it's not out of line to ask whether success in the realigned Mountain West — with replacements Fresno State, Nevada and Hawaii this football season, plus Utah State and San Jose State in 2013 — would draw enough attention to lure more of the nonresident student applications that Frank covets as a way to combat the deterioration of state funding for higher education.

Graham is shooting to eventually nudge the athletic department's budget, this year at $28.45 million, up to the $55 million range through increased fundraising and revenue, and perhaps add sports. He mentioned soccer, lacrosse and even ice hockey. CSU now has five men's and nine women's intercollegiate sports programs.

http://www.denverpost.com/csu/ci_21305853/csu-rams-see-victories-schools-new-ambitious-vision

55 million? strange, sounds about like our budget. Hmmmmmmmm.

That's very ambitious. If he somehow pulls it off without having to borrow further from the school then he will deserve a lot of credit. Here is where they are currently at:

Capturebudg.JPG

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/coll...ollege-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1

They are currently in a group of schools such as Wyoming, UTEP, Louisiana-Monroe, and North Dakota State in regard to % subsidy. Revenue wise they are similar to James Madison, Fresno St., Eastern Michigan, and Wyoming. They are also in the same group in expenses as NM State, Marshall and Wyoming.

Aiming at doubling the budget would put them with us, Clemson, ASU and Oregon State. (For the PAC schools, the budgets should increase significantly with the $25-30 MM/year payouts going forward)

Last edited:
The funniest part is that diehard CSU fans have been positive that there is an invite from the Big 12, so that they can get the Denver market back. Chuck Neinas completely shoots that down with the ACTUAL discussions that occured, and CSU fan will absolutely believe that what Chuck says is false.

That's very ambitious. If he somehow pulls it off without having to borrow further from the school then he will deserve a lot of credit.

$55 Million is an incredibly ambitious goal and would put CSU only behing UNLV in terms of overall budget in the MWC. UNLV has a distinct advantage of generating revenue through the Thomas & Mack Center. I am not sure if CSU can get to that level, but even at $40-45 Million, CSU would have distinct advantage in the MWC.

Last edited:
Back