What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Naming rights for CSU's new stadium - ideas?

I think it's pretty much a done deal. Frank will either announce as a full go or announce that they'll build when the funding is complete

Makes sense. The $250 million dollar question will then be when is the funding complete? I'd venture a guess as to never.

If they're smart

ok, stop laughing

no, seriously, stop laughing.

If they could find two brain cells to rub together, they could actually be pretty shrewd. What if, next week, instead of saying "yes, we're building a $250MM new stadium on campus," or "no, we're not," they instead said something like, "A lot of you are right, and you made very good points about the risks of such a large investment. So, what we're going to do is build a new stadium on campus, but at a lower, more prudent cost." And then present something along the lines of Houston's new on-campus stadium (40,000 seats, expandable to 60,000 for $105MM) or, even better, North Texas' new Apogee Stadium (32,000, with 21 luxury suites, expandable to 50,000 for $78MM).

Of course, they won't do that - because, well - it would probably be too smart.

(If you think a $250MM boondoggle up in fort fun would cause political problems for CU, this smarter scenario would cause even more problems: 1. It would be a few years before the $250MM plan would be an obvious revenue ****-show, so we would still have a window to get something done before the **** really hit the fan, 2. Our finances would look strong once the fall out started to happen up north, and 3. It would be a royal pain in the ass to have to answer the "you want $250MM to build a new practice facility and add 8,000 seats to Folsom - CSU was able to build an entire new stadium for $80MM" crowd.)

CSU should follow the path of some of the Cal-State schools. Drop football and focus your energies on a different, less expensive sport. Cal State Fullerton is among the best of the best in baseball. Would you rather have something like that or a losing football team in a second rate conference?

For example, CSU could build an elite level soccer program for peanuts vs. football. They could corner the market for a very large region of the country. Lots of soccer talent in CO; they all go out of state right now. Cross country? LAX? Tennis? Success in most of the other sports is purely a function of scholarship money available for those sports.

CSU could build an elite level soccer program for peanuts vs. football.
None of the other sports you mentioned have high spectator value. Worldwide, and in a growing segment of the US population, soccer is the spectator sport. I'm really surprised there aren't more schools piling money in right now.

Hell, I don't even like the sport, but the low costs, growing popularity (especially among younger age groups) and favorable demographic shifts make the business decision side of me wish that CU would get its act together and start building a serious soccer program (for both both genders).

None of the other sports you mentioned have high spectator value. Worldwide, and in a growing segment of the US population, soccer is the spectator sport. I'm really surprised there aren't more schools piling money in right now.

Hell, I don't even like the sport, but the low costs, growing popularity (especially among younger age groups) and favorable demographic shifts make the business decision side of me wish that CU would get its act together and start building a serious soccer program (for both both genders).

Take it back.

CSU should follow the path of some of the Cal-State schools. Drop football and focus your energies on a different, less expensive sport. Cal State Fullerton is among the best of the best in baseball. Would you rather have something like that or a losing football team in a second rate conference?

For example, CSU could build an elite level soccer program for peanuts vs. football. They could corner the market for a very large region of the country. Lots of soccer talent in CO; they all go out of state right now. Cross country? LAX? Tennis? Success in most of the other sports is purely a function of scholarship money available for those sports.

They could own the world of frisbee golf. Totally feasible.

No other sport offers the same amount of public attention that football does, even at the lower levels. Basketball is a clear #2.

How many college soccer programs, even those at the top of the rankings draw even 5,000 spectators per game. The answer is very few. Even the small colleges that are losing can often draw over 5,000 and sometimes close to 10k. More importantly how often do college soccer programs end up prominently featured in the newspaper or on the sports report. CSU at the FCS level would still end up with frequent coverage in the local area, likely not a lot less than they get now, especially if they can build some solid rivalries with other regional schools like UNC and if Wyo also drops to that level.

No other sport offers the same amount of public attention that football does, even at the lower levels. Basketball is a clear #2.

How many college soccer programs, even those at the top of the rankings draw even 5,000 spectators per game. The answer is very few. Even the small colleges that are losing can often draw over 5,000 and sometimes close to 10k. More importantly how often do college soccer programs end up prominently featured in the newspaper or on the sports report. CSU at the FCS level would still end up with frequent coverage in the local area, likely not a lot less than they get now, especially if they can build some solid rivalries with other regional schools like UNC and if Wyo also drops to that level.
The point is that I see this changing over time. Granted, over the long term we are all dead, but soccer is going to continue to grow in popularity, between immigration and the fact that nearly every single kid in the entire country under the age of 14 is on a soccer team, eventually it's going to start gaining media coverage and attention. I'd rather be there first, then try to play catch up...

On the other hand, with so few players, I imagine that, like basketball, it doesn't take long to become competitive. So, yeah, we can probably afford to wait.

Is rodeo an NCAA sanctioned sport?

The point is that I see this changing over time. Granted, over the long term we are all dead, but soccer is going to continue to grow in popularity, between immigration and the fact that nearly every single kid in the entire country under the age of 14 is on a soccer team, eventually it's going to start gaining media coverage and attention. I'd rather be there first, then try to play catch up...

On the other hand, with so few players, I imagine that, like basketball, it doesn't take long to become competitive. So, yeah, we can probably afford to wait.

Trouble is we have been hearing this for decades. Millions of kids have played soccer in this country then moved on in terms of fan interest to American football or other sports. It simply hasn't translated. MLS attendance has been fairly stagnant as have TV ratings over time. There has been some growth but very slow.

College soccer at most schools gets virtually no attendance other than family and friends. I doubt that more than 10 schools in the country come even close to breaking even with revenues, lots of them don't even charge since they don't get enough fans to justify the cost of collecting and accounting.

Things may change down the road but I don't see soccer as a viable alternative if you are looking for a public face for the school or for something to rally students and the community around like football offers

Trouble is we have been hearing this for decades. Millions of kids have played soccer in this country then moved on in terms of fan interest to American football or other sports. It simply hasn't translated. MLS attendance has been fairly stagnant as have TV ratings over time. There has been some growth but very slow.

College soccer at most schools gets virtually no attendance other than family and friends. I doubt that more than 10 schools in the country come even close to breaking even with revenues, lots of them don't even charge since they don't get enough fans to justify the cost of collecting and accounting.

Things may change down the road but I don't see soccer as a viable alternative if you are looking for a public face for the school or for something to rally students and the community around like football offers
I hear you. I really do. We have been hearing that for years. It may be that a few folks in my office have DC United stuff up in their cubes, it may be that several people in my circle of friends regularly have "watch parties" for soccer matches, but my sense is that there seems to be actual movement, however incremental, instead of just talk about movement.

I also wonder about Universities really starting to engage the Hispanic population in this country. I could easily imagine a state university essentially sewing up all of the recruiting of that state's Latino population just by making a big deal of their scholarship offers over the course of a few years. I could further easily imagine that turning into ticket and concession sales. It's really not much of a stretch to imagine a local TV deal. Would it get national attention? No, not for a long time yet. Could you corner a significant, and growing, demographic within your state? Yes, I think you could.

Sorry, I just don't see Soccor happening any time soon. The reason that American football came into existence was because the game of soccor didn't really fit the American mentality. American football is so popular because it fits our mentality of gaining ground on an opponent through a combination of power and strategy. Football will be king for a long time.

I would rather my school have a good football team than be good in every other sport.

I would rather my school have a good football team than be good in every other sport.

Except soccer, obviously.

It's taking the nation by storm. Soccer is the next mother-****ing hula-hoop, if you ask me.

Except soccer, obviously.

It's taking the nation by storm. Soccer is the next mother-****ing hula-hoop, if you ask me.
damn ****ing straight. Your daughters will be playing soccer in goddamn strip joints.

this thread about that crappy little college needs to stop!! It is about to pass the Oregon cheerleader thread post count at this point

Soccer is awesome and going to take over the world. Arguing about it is stupid.

Nice. Make a definitive statement that is easily argued, and then claim that arguing about it is stupid. Is that taught first year or second year law school?

Nice. Make a definitive statement that is easily argued, and then claim that arguing about it is stupid. Is that taught first year or second year law school?
Dunno. I heard being pissy (and losing to Fairview) are the specialties taught at boulder high tho!

Reactions: RK
Those classes are taught at Punahou. You should know, being an alumnus and all.

Back