What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nate Landman

Gamboa's talent is not physical, it is his ability to read the play and react. He also is the player that makes the on-field reads and adjustments for the defense. Any replacement for Gamboa is going to have to have the mental part down as well. He will probably be a very good coach someday should he pursue that route.

Coaches can get myopic when it comes to talent. Maybe it’s because they have huge egos and don’t want to admit they are wrong about “their guy.”
Gamboa's talent is not physical, it is his ability to read the play and react. He also is the player that makes the on-field reads and adjustments for the defense. Any replacement for Gamboa is going to have to have the mental part down as well. He will probably be a very good coach someday should he pursue that route.

A lot of coaches were guys who made in the game as players based on hard work and intelligence more than raw talent. They were the guys who were a step slower or a bit smaller but were successful because they did things the way the coaches wanted.

Because of this a lot of times they tend to look for players who are like they were. They value knowledge of the system, effort in practice, film study, etc. When they see guys who have more natural talent their thoughts go to "How good this guy could be if he had the mental game."

Classic example was Dan Reeves trying to turn John Elway into Roger Staughbach.

No offense to Gamboa, but it’s not exactly as if our defense has been in the right place to make plays.

The fact is Lewis, Landman and next year Van Diest are all more talented than Gamboa and better players. Gamboa constantly is out of position because he's too slow, not because he read the play wrong. The Buffs have to start the best two despite class. They should realize that looking at playing ROss and Fields all year over Viska and Winfree.

I did not spit out any hate towards Gamboa. I love his spirit and effort and intelligence. But, that would be amazing for San Jose State or Northern Colorado. I have never hated on a player, rather I have stood up for them when folks on here call people terrible. They would be amazing at Div 2, and they are maybe not able to excel at Div 1. But they are not terrible people or players.
The coaches meet as a group a lot and pretty sure they go over the depth chart and discuss rotations and strategies. Maybe the assistant has there own specific reason and they are responsible for the decisions, but whoever or however it happens, it seems that upperclassmen always get the nod because Mac likes to talk endlessly about the older players teaching the younger guys and it seems to be a coaching and life lesson thing that Mac stresses. It may have had some value in various team and program building elements along the line, but it is time to transition to pure competition to improve at every position no matter what. Mac #1 would not have hesitated playing the best player and all the guys new it and it made them better. Metal sharpens metal.
So, as for my comments on Landman and Callier and Shenault and Winfree, it is the obvious eye test and explosiveness that is the "it" factor for a PAC 12 player. When Gamboa is eye to eye with Ronald Jones, none of his brains or his adjustments will matter when Jones puts on a killer fake and takes off. In fact, I saw that happen multiple times, and Gamboa never even touched him and would not have even tackled him in touch football. Landman immediately jumped off the screen and was making plays. I was shocked and excited by what I was seeing. I felt the same way when Callier rushed the passers early in the year, and when Shenault starting catching longer passes. Last time I felt that was was when Paul Richardson showed up and had that USC speed and "it" factor. He is doing pretty well on Sundays!
No Hate, Just Love
No Speed, No Play

YEah i think Gamboa should “work harder” and grow a couple inches, put on some size so we can magically stop getting run over and allowing tons of yards after contact.

The way landman has played I would be very disappointed if he didn't see significant playing time next year

The way landman has played I would be very disappointed if he didn't see significant playing time next year

I would be greatly surprised if we don't see a lot more of Landman next year, also Collier played well this year in limited time. Another year of development both come back next year 10-15 pounds bigger and ready for the speed of the game.

If we can get some issues on the DL taken care of to keep the pressure off these guys they could have big years for us.

I was impressed w him. Feeling good about our LB corp, w the possible exception of their position coach.

Back