What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nate Tomlinson to George Mason

Good for all parties, shows the growth of the program in the Tad era.

Was Nate a player when English was on staff, did they coach together or was the zero overlap?

Good for all parties, shows the growth of the program in the Tad era.

Was Nate a player when English was on staff, did they coach together or was the zero overlap?
Nate & English may have overlapped as players when English was at Mizzou. I think Nate joined the CU staff as English was leaving.

I think Tad is in a position where he can attract solid coaching talent for the staff. It’s a tough loss, but I feel better about it based on where the program is.

Nate and Kim were for sure on staff together. Don't know completely for sure, but seeing both their families post game, I believe their wife and kids were/are close.

Tomlinson returned to Boulder, joining Colorado as a coaching intern for the 2018-19 season.

On August 11, 2017, English was hired by Tad Boyle as an assistant coach for Colorado, replacing Jean Prioleau, who became the new head coach at San Jose State.[26] Two years later, on April 10, 2019, English was hired by Rick Barnes as an assistant for Tennessee. He replaced Rob Lanier on the staff, who was hired as the new head coach at Georgia State.[27]

One season of overlap.

Would be nice if we could have a home game against Seton Hall this year and recognize Schwartz and Walton before the game. Bummed that they missed being able to play before the home crowd their senior year. I will root for them before and after the game.

Would be nice if we could have a home game against Seton Hall this year and recognize Schwartz and Walton before the game. Bummed that they missed being able to play before the home crowd their senior year. I will root for them before and after the game.

Have Schwartz and Walton decided to play in New Jersey?

Have Schwartz and Walton decided to play in New Jersey?
I have no insider information regarding it. If the school has good graduate programs I could seem them considering it. I don't know how close they were but one more season of basketball playing with a long-term friend for English/Tomlinson could have some appeal. I wish them both the best with whatever path they choose.

and Horne back to Tulsa. I think he'd have stayed, if Tad was okay with it.

Is anyone else sort of "not comfortable", or "confused", about why these kids are being directed to transfer out of the program right now? I realize that Tad has only a couple of scholarships available, but would it not have been good for Walton and then perhaps Horne or Schwartz to come back to help mentor these very talented but also very young kids coming in? And I'm also a little confused as to why Tad is just allowing Nate, in many ways one of his best assistant coaches and one who can really directly relate to players, leave the program as if it's just no big deal; to George Mason of all places! This all seems very counterintuitive and baffling to me.

I hear and understand all of the "it shows growth for the program" comments, but my god, you just let a good quality assistant coach leave, one who has good direct rapport with your players, and with what appears to be basically no fight about it. And you're then letting some really good players, who could otherwise really help next years team, just walk and go somewhere else.

Is anyone else sort of "not comfortable", or "confused", about why these kids are being directed to transfer out of the program right now? I realize that Tad has only a couple of scholarships available, but would it not have been good for Walton and then perhaps Horne or Schwartz to come back to help mentor these very talented but also very young kids coming in? And I'm also a little confused as to why Tad is just allowing Nate, in many ways one of his best assistant coaches and one who can really directly relate to players, leave the program as if it's just no big deal; to George Mason of all places! This all seems very counterintuitive and baffling to me.

I hear and understand all of the "it shows growth for the program" comments, but my god, you just let a good quality assistant coach leave, one who has good direct rapport with your players, and with what appears to be basically no fight about it. And you're then letting some really good players, who could otherwise really help next years team, just walk and go somewhere else.
Nate was the low man on the totem pole in the order of assistants here. This is a promotion for him. The players "transferring" is happening across the country because of the free year of eligibility provided by the NCAA. They have been here for 4 years (1 grad transfer eligibility year for Horne), there was absolutely no expectation of them being here next year. As has been explained elsewhere, Dallas and DShawn are also guarenteed to have a 2 year grad program paid for at another school, the way the rules work they can only be provided one year here.

In summary, there is nothing to be concerned about and you're only baffled if you haven't been paying attention and just want to bitch about something.

First, let's address the players transferring.

1.) Nowhere is it being said that these kids are being directed to transfer out of the program right now. They all decided to transfer. They all graduated and now can go to school somewhere else for free. If they stayed at CU, they would get one more year of school paid for. If they transfer for a grad program, they get two years paid for even though they're only playing for one year.

2.) There are grad programs that CU doesn't offer. Entirely possible that these guys realize the NBA isn't calling and they want to get a fallback degree in something they love for when their stint in Europe/elsewhere is over playing hoops.

3.) By all accounts, Schwartz and English were pretty close. English is getting a chance to launch his career with a good school. Schwartz knows he can contribute to that and get a grad degree while playing under someone he likes.

4.) There are currently over 1,000 kids in the transfer portal. There are 357 programs in D1. That means that on average there are 2.8 kids from each school in the portal. If you want to count Stratling, we have four scholarship kids that are in there. Hardly a mass exodus. We're not Cincinnati.

5.) We are bringing in the #12 recruiting class in the nation. Two of them are borderline top 50 recruits. Those type of recruits don't come in to ride the bench for a year. You can pencil in 15 mpg for both of them IMMEDIATELY. Hopefully more, but I'm not gonna put that pressure on them. We also have a freshman who played 15 mpg for us this year and garnered NBA buzz. TDS played quality minutes and showed he's ready for more than the 10 mpg he got last year. And lots of people are still high on O'Brien and Clifford. So would you rather have Dallas stick around for another year - when you know it's his last year - to play 15 mpg again and Horne to play 25 mpg or would you rather give those 40 mpg to be divided among TDS, Jabari and Lovering who you hopefully will have for 2+ each? Jabari, Walton, Horne and TDS all played a combined 65 minutes per game last year. Whose minutes are you taking to give to Lovering? And how badly are you going to be skewered on the recruiting trail if you bring in a top 50 recruit and don't play him? Big picture.

6.) Finally, WE DON'T KNOW WHY THEY'RE TRANSFERRING. By all accounts, Horne appeared to love his time here at CU. He decided to go back to Tulsa. I speculated in the transfer portal thread that he probably came here realizing he had one year to try to grab NBA attention. He came close, but didn't get it. So he could either stay here for one year (and still not get enough NBA buzz) or go back to Tulsa where he apparently loved it and get two years of school paid for. How is this something negative that CU did? D'Shawn and Dallas have lived their entire lives in Colorado - maybe they want to see the country on someone else's dime? Stratling didn't get playing time this year, why would he next year when we're BETTER up front? Why not go somewhere, get some burn and get two years of school paid for?

Now on to Nate:

1.) Nate isn't an assistant coach. He's a director of player development. This is a stepping stone job and one that Nate was damn good at. He works not only on the basketball side helping to schedule games, but he helps with academic setups. Again, this is not an assistant coach job.

2.) We currently have Mike Rohn (Tad's right hand man), Bill Grier (former head coach of San Diego, and assistant at Gonzaga and Oklahoma State) and Rick Ray (former Mississippi St head coach) as our assistant coaches. Who would you recommend firing to move Nate up to a coaching role?

3.) You pooh pooh it, but THIS IS WHAT PEOPLE IN NATE'S POSITION ARE DESIGNED TO DO. They move on. They gain experience. There is ZERO downside here. I guaran-damn-tee that he's not going to cut off communication with the staff here. We're going to see recruits that don't fit for us and give Nate the heads up. Nate's going to see recruits he can't land and give us the heads up. Both will work together. I'm guessing that if Nate, Kim, D'Shawn and Dallas are all at George Mason next year we can start figuring out where on the schedule it is that they will come visit the Keg for a game. And when (not if) Nate is killing it in a few years, do you think he's really going to turn Tad down if Tad calls and wants him to come back because Ray landed a head coaching gig somewhere?

My God, we're finally having things that show that we're a legit P5 program for once and people are bitching. I don't get it.

EDIT - and apparently I was typing for a long time as @torerobuff already did a much more succinct reply.

1.) Nowhere is it being said that these kids are being directed to transfer out of the program right now. They all decided to transfer. They all graduated and now can go to school somewhere else for free. If they stayed at CU, they would get one more year of school paid for. If they transfer for a grad program, they get two years paid for even though they're only playing for one year.

2.) There are grad programs that CU doesn't offer. Entirely possible that these guys realize the NBA isn't calling and they want to get a fallback degree in something they love for when their stint in Europe/elsewhere is over playing hoops.

3.) By all accounts, Schwartz and English were pretty close. English is getting a chance to launch his career with a good school. Schwartz knows he can contribute to that and get a grad degree while playing under someone he likes.

4.) There are currently over 1,000 kids in the transfer portal. There are 357 programs in D1. That means that on average there are 2.8 kids from each school in the portal. If you want to count Stratling, we have four scholarship kids that are in there. Hardly a mass exodus. We're not Cincinnati.

5.) We are bringing in the #12 recruiting class in the nation. Two of them are borderline top 50 recruits. Those type of recruits don't come in to ride the bench for a year. You can pencil in 15 mpg for both of them IMMEDIATELY. Hopefully more, but I'm not gonna put that pressure on them. We also have a freshman who played 15 mpg for us this year and garnered NBA buzz. TDS played quality minutes and showed he's ready for more than the 10 mpg he got last year. And lots of people are still high on O'Brien and Clifford. So would you rather have Dallas stick around for another year - when you know it's his last year - to play 15 mpg again and Horne to play 25 mpg or would you rather give those 40 mpg to be divided among TDS, Jabari and Lovering who you hopefully will have for 2+ each? Jabari, Walton, Horne and TDS all played a combined 65 minutes per game last year. Whose minutes are you taking to give to Lovering? And how badly are you going to be skewered on the recruiting trail if you bring in a top 50 recruit and don't play him? Big picture.

6.) Finally, WE DON'T KNOW WHY THEY'RE TRANSFERRING. By all accounts, Horne appeared to love his time here at CU. He decided to go back to Tulsa. I speculated in the transfer portal thread that he probably came here realizing he had one year to try to grab NBA attention. He came close, but didn't get it. So he could either stay here for one year (and still not get enough NBA buzz) or go back to Tulsa where he apparently loved it and get two years of school paid for. How is this something negative that CU did? D'Shawn and Dallas have lived their entire lives in Colorado - maybe they want to see the country on someone else's dime? Stratling didn't get playing time this year, why would he next year when we're BETTER up front? Why not go somewhere, get some burn and get two years of school paid for?

Now on to Nate:

1.) Nate isn't an assistant coach. He's a director of player development. This is a stepping stone job and one that Nate was damn good at. He works not only on the basketball side helping to schedule games, but he helps with academic setups. Again, this is not an assistant coach job.

2.) We currently have Mike Rohn (Tad's right hand man), Bill Grier (former head coach of San Diego, and assistant at Gonzaga and Oklahoma State) and Rick Ray (former Mississippi St head coach) as our assistant coaches. Who would you recommend firing to move Nate up to a coaching role?

3.) You pooh pooh it, but THIS IS WHAT PEOPLE IN NATE'S POSITION ARE DESIGNED TO DO. They move on. They gain experience. There is ZERO downside here. I guaran-damn-tee that he's not going to cut off communication with the staff here. We're going to see recruits that don't fit for us and give Nate the heads up. Nate's going to see recruits he can't land and give us the heads up. Both will work together. I'm guessing that if Nate, Kim, D'Shawn and Dallas are all at George Mason next year we can start figuring out where on the schedule it is that they will come visit the Keg for a game. And when (not if) Nate is killing it in a few years, do you think he's really going to turn Tad down if Tad calls and wants him to come back because Ray landed a head coaching gig somewhere?

My God, we're finally having things that show that we're a legit P5 program for once and people are bitching. I don't get it.

EDIT - and apparently I was typing for a long time as @torerobuff already did a much more succinct reply.
Fx Networks GIF by Cake FX

Now on to Nate:

No, I really enjoyed the full length @Goose slap.

Now on to Nate:

Fantastic Post!

Back