What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA 2024 Tourney game thread - #10 seed MEN's Bball - 1st 4 game vs. fellow #10 Boise State (In Dayton; Wed., 3/20, 7:10 PM MT; TruTV)

Man! I really want to see guys step up now. I get tired of guys showing up one game and disappearing the next. KJ shows up every game. Just needs to limit the dumb turnovers. TDS is hit or miss. He disappears for halves or even entire games. CW needs to get it going. He was awful in the Pac 12 Tournament.

Last edited:
Congrats to Mr. Simpson!

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/3/19/mens-basketball-simpson-earns-nabc-all-district-honors

"
BOULDER – University of Colorado junior guard KJ Simpson has earned National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) All-District honors, the organization announced on Tuesday.

Simpson was one of five players on the NABC All-District 19 First Team. A total of 10 individuals were honored on the two five-player All-District 19 teams which encompasses the Pac-12 Conference and voted on by NABC-member coaches.

Simpson is the 11th Buffalo selected to one of the NABC All-District teams in the last 14 years. He is the first Buffalo on the first five of the all-district roster since McKinley Wright IV in 2020-21.

A native of Panorama City, Calif., Simpson leads the Buffaloes averaging 19.6 points, 5.7 rebounds and 4.9 assists per game. He earned All-Pac-12 First Team honors, voted on by league coaches, and was recently named to the All-Pac-12 Tournament Team after leading the Buffaloes to their third conference title game.

Simpson is the only major conference player averaging 19.0 points, 5.0 rebounds and 4.0 assists per game and is one of five in all of NCAA Division I with those numbers. On the Pac-12 charts, he ranks first in 3-point shooting (.453) and assist-to-turnover ratio (2.3), second in scoring, assists and free throw shooting (.871), third in steals (1.6 spg), fifth in minutes (34.6 mpg), eighth in defensive rebounds (4.9 drpg) and 14th in overall rebounding.

Colorado is 24-10 overall and a No. 10 seed in the South Region of the 2024 NCAA Tournament. The Buffaloes are set to face fellow No. 10 seed Boise State in an NCAA First Four game on Wednesday, March 20, at 7:10 p.m. MT in Dayton, Ohio (TruTV/850 AM & 94.1 FM KOA).

NABC All-District 19
First Team

KJ Simpson - Colorado
Keion Brooks Jr. - Washington
Isaac Jones - Washington State
Caleb Love - Arizona
Jaylon Tyson - California

Second Team
Oumar Ballo - Arizona
Adem Bona - UCLA
Branden Carlson - Utah
Pelle Larsson - Arizona
Myles Rice - Washington State

Coach of the Year: Kyle Smith - Washington State
"

This must be for womens. ESPN currently has the men's team at 100-1 to reach the final four.
Nope, it was definitely the men's. Maybe I misheard the odds, but they were talking about all the injuries for the teams following BSU.

Counterpoint: no one knows if they get truTV until they are forced to search for it every March
I just cancelled Fubu and re-signed up for youtube tv. I figure I am going to want TNT and the like for the NBA playoffs as well.

Man! I really want to see guys step up now. I get tired of guys showing up one game and disappearing the next. KJ shows up every game. Just needs to limit the dumb turnovers. TDS is hit or miss. He disappears for halves air even games. CW needs to get it going. He was awful in the Pac 12 Tournament.
Just how do I like this a few more times…yes, I wanna

Boise is oddly our biggest hurdle to the Sweet 16. KJ, LOB, and Eddie make this team a bit better at matching up against Big East style of play with their toughness and physicality

also, we're gonna have to let Ruffin, Dak, and Diop pull the trigger on all open threes. our team is a 3pt anomaly with a high % but low volume (because we really only take quality shots), but to win in March we're gonna have to let some more fly and hope for a make or offensive rebound
Have to agree: Boise St biggest obstacle to Sweet-16! Florida has been very inconsistent, and Marquette’s point guard coming back from recent injury. Marquette maybe even susceptible to Western Kentucky’s size in the first round?

Even these 2 CBS Sports guys in video below say they have Buff going to Sweet-16! Maybe we’re just popular pick with 3 potential NBA players, but route looks good!

Nope, it was definitely the men's. Maybe I misheard the odds, but they were talking about all the injuries for the teams following BSU.
Final four odds for men’s is +4000 last week when I locked in.

Women’s is at +50,000
I actually have weird futures in Iowast tenn and cu women’s to make championship game at +50,000 each. Too much money is on South Carolina in women’s this year. I’m taking the field.

Preview from cubuffs for tonight's game - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/3/19/boyles-buffs-ready-for-boise-state-in-ncaa-opener

"

Boyle's Buffs Ready For Boise State In NCAA Opener​

By: Neill Woelk, Contributing Editor

DAYTON, Ohio —
From the moment the NCAA First Four matchup between No. 10 seeds Colorado and Boise State was announced, much has been made about the friendship between Buffs coach Tad Boyle and BSU coach Leon Rice.

The two have known each other for three decades. They have watched each other's families grow up, they have coached together (for USA Basketball) and they watch each other's teams play whenever possible.

But when the two teams meet in Wednesday's 7:10 p.m. (MT) game in Dayton (KOA radio, truTV), there's no doubt about this much: friendship will be put on hold as they both try to advance to the next round of the tournament.

"When that ball tips up tomorrow, it's not about a relationship or friendship," Boyle said at a Tuesday press conference. "It's about trying to win a game. They're going to try to win; we're going to try to win."

It's not the first time the Boyle's and Rice's teams have squared off. Boise State handed the Buffs a 68-55 defeat in last year's Myrtle Beach Invitational, a game Boyle still remembers quite well.

"They were the tougher team," Boyle said. "They physically manhandled us, out-executed us. When you get to this stage, it's about your players. It's about what they do on the floor, how hard they play, how tough they play. And when you get ready to play Boise State you better put your hard hat on because they're tough, they rebound well, they're physical. We're going to have to execute on the offensive end. We'll have to battle on the boards. And we're going to have to make plays."

While the Broncos aren't particularly tall, they boast a burly lineup, beginning with 6-foot-8, 235-pound forward Troy Degenhart, who averages 17.0 points and 6.2 rebounds per game. Chibuzo Agbo, a 6-7, 226-pound guard, averages 13.6 points per game and had a team-leading 75 3-pointers. O'Mar Stanley, a 6-8, 240-pound forward, averages 13 points and 6.4 rebounds.

Then there's the coach's son, Max Rice, a 6-5, 205-pound guard who averages 12.5 points and has drained 74 3-pointers this season.

"They've got good players," Boyle said. "There's no doubt about it. So a lot of things scare me about Boise. They can hurt you from a lot of different positions."

But Boyle also knows his team is playing its best ball of the season while at the same time overcoming a long list of injury problems. CU took an eight-game win streak into last weekend's Pac-12 tourney final before falling to Oregon, 75-68.

"Every team has its ups and downs throughout the season and we've had a lot of them," Boyle said. "For these guys to persevere — I feel like we've been in a one-game elimination tournament for about four weeks now. We lost to UCLA, a one-possession game down the stretch and then found a way to beat USC in double overtime being down 16. As you look in the rearview mirror, that was a turning point of our season, without a doubt. But we didn't know it at the time. We just had to try to win the next game and win the next game, and that's what we did, and got on a roll."

The Buffs certainly have the firepower to compete with the Broncos.

The Buffs certainly have the firepower to compete with the Broncos.

All-Pac-12 guard KJ Simpson is averaging 19.6 points, 4.9 assists and 5.7 rebounds per game while shooting 45% from 3-point range. Senior forward Tristan da Silva is second on the team in scoring (15.8 ppg), field goals made (176) and 3-pointers (55) while leading the team in blocks (18) and ranking third in steals and fourth in rebounding (5.2 rpg).

McDonald's All-American Cody Williams is third on the team in scoring at 12.6 points per game while ranking second in shooting at 56.5 percent from the field and J'Vonne Hadley averages 11.9 points per game while ranking second on the team in rebounding (6.1 rpg), assists (76) and steals (36) and third in shooting (.549).

The Buffs are making their first NCAA appearance since 2021. Da Silva and fellow CU senior Luke O'Brien both made appearances in that tournament. Buffs big man Eddie Lampkin Jr., meanwhile, played in the tournament for TCU last season.

The Broncos, meanwhile, are making their third NCAA appearance in a row.

But the Buffs aren't overly concerned about a relative lack of tournament experience.

"I know I've never been to March Madness but at the same time I have the experience of playing at a high level and playing against high-level teams," Simpson said. "Everybody on this team or most of the guys on this team have that same experience. I think at this stage you just have to take the approach of you just gotta go out there and play. You can't rise to the level of expectations. You have to fall back on your principles, fall back on what you've been doing in practice, do the things that got you here to this point."

ON THE AIR: KOA radio will broadcast the game with Voice of the Buffs Mark Johnson and Scott Wilke. The game will be televised by truTV with Spero Dedes, Jim Spanarkel and Jon Rothstein.

UP NEXT: The winner of Wednesday's game will travel to Indianapolis for a 2:30 p.m. game Friday against Florida in the South Regional (TBS).
"

Pre-game press conference quotes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2024/3/20/ncaa_first_four_quotes.pdf

We can lose with him, but we can't win up to whatever our ceiling is without him.
The question Tad will ask, is whether he likely will be more effective coming off the bench, or starting.
I think coming off the bench. CW has not played well lately and knows a lot of people have Qs. There would be less pressure.
I think Tad will start him, but after he's had a good game.

Have to agree: Boise St biggest obstacle to Sweet-16! Florida has been very inconsistent, and Marquette’s point guard coming back from recent injury. Marquette maybe even susceptible to Western Kentucky’s size in the first round?

Even these 2 CBS Sports guys in video below say they have Buff going to Sweet-16! Maybe we’re just popular pick with 3 potential NBA players, but route looks good!

Wish we had Virginia in the play-in game. That team should never have made the dance. Awful awful team.

Back