What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA 2024 Tourney game thread - #10 seed MEN's Bball - 1st 4 game vs. fellow #10 Boise State (In Dayton; Wed., 3/20, 7:10 PM MT; TruTV)

More media after tonight's win:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/3/20/mens-basketball-buffs-vs-boise

"

Buffs Rally To Top Boise State In NCAA Opener​

By: Neill Woelk, Contributing Editor

DAYTON, Ohio —
Barely a week ago, Colorado coach Tad Boyle told his Buffaloes they had to be prepared for a game when, "You're not scoring and you have to rely on your defense, you have to rely on your grit and your toughness."

That night came Wednesday, when one of the best shooting teams in the nation struggled all night offensively — and still came away with a 60-53 win over Boise State in the NCAA Tournament First Four at Dayton Arena.

Boyle's 10th-seeded Buffs improved to 25-10 — the most victories in a season in program history — and advanced to a 2:30 p.m. matchup Friday with No. 7 Florida in the South Regional in Indianapolis (TBS).

The Broncos, also a No. 10 seed, ended their season at 23-10.

Tristan da Silva led CU with 20 points and KJ Simpson recorded a 19-point, 11-rebound double-double. Eddie Lampkin Jr. added 13 points for the Buffs, including a huge basket with 32 seconds remaining that gave Colorado a five-point lead.

Simpson's 11 rebounds were a career high and he scored 15 of his points in the second half, including 10 in the final 5:18.

Chibuzo Agbo led Boise State with 17 points. Tyson Degenhart, BSU's leading scorer, was limited to just six points on 3-for-10 shooting thanks to da Silva's defense.

After leading for much of the game, CU fell behind 49-45 with just 4:31 to play. But Colorado's defense buckled down to produce a four-minute BSU scoring drought while the offense rattled off an 11-0 run, getting four points from Simpson, a 3-pointer from da Silva, Lampkin's tip-in and two free throws from J'Vonne Hadley to seal the win.

"We played with unbelievable toughness," said Boyle, who recorded his third NCAA tourney win in six appearances. "We started to play tougher on the glass and we made just enough plays down the stretch … The Buffaloes have had a helluva year. This team has done some special things."

Both teams struggled shooting the ball all night long. CU finished just 21-for-48 from the floor but shot 11-for-22 in the second half, including 3-for-7 from long range.

BSU shot just 23-for-67, including a 2-for-18 night from beyond the arc.

Boise State did have a 41-31 edge on the boards, including 19 offensive rebounds that produced 19 second-chance points.

But the Buffaloes' defense in crunch time made the difference, holding the Broncos scoreless in the decisive four-minute stretch in the final minutes.

"I knew it was going to be a battle against these guys," Boyle said. "You just knew from watching film and watching that team all year, they've got some tough-minded guys. They're a quality program. Down the stretch, when we had to, we got rebounds. I thought KJ's 11 rebounds obviously stand out and our guys battled. These guys did what they had to do down the stretch and beat a tough, hard-nosed team."

Boise State's Degenhart entered the game averaging 17 points per game but was never a factor on the offensive end as da Silva bottled him up all night.

"He was the focus of the scouting report and I knew I'd have my hands full the whole game," da Silva said. "He's a great player. He's taken Boise to three consecutive NCAA appearances. I knew I had to step up my game defensively for this one specifically."

Colorado took a 26-24 lead into the halftime break after a defensive-dominated first half that featured five lead changes.

Boise State led early, using a 7-0 run to take a 13-9 lead after the Buffs came up empty on five straight possessions.

But Colorado battled back, finally taking a 15-14 lead on a Simpson drive with 6:50 to play in the half. The Buffs extended the lead to six on 24-18 four minutes later on a Luke O'Brien three-point play before BSU shaved Colorado's lead to just two at intermission.

DECISIVE STRETCH: After falling behind by four with less than five minutes to play, Colorado put together an 11-0 run to take a 56-49 lead with just 24 seconds on the clock.

WHAT IT MEANS: The Buffs picked up a big NCAA Tournament win while also setting the program record for victories in a season (25).

KEY STATISTICS: CU finished just 21-for-48 from the floor but shot 11-for-22 in the second half, including 3-for-7 from long range … BSU shot just 23-for-67, including a 2-for-18 night from beyond the arc.

NEXT UP: Colorado will travel to Indianapolis for a 2:30 p.m. game Friday against No. 7 Florida in the South Regional (TBS).
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2023-24/boise-state/boxscore/17002

Post-game notes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2024/3/21/Postgame_Notes__CU_60__Boise_State_53_.pdf

I'm not what anybody can make of him. Almost every draft mock draft and there is no consensus. Some have him still #1 and other as low as #15 and everything in between

He needs another year in college but NBA $$$$$ will win out and his career will probably suffer for it
His game is better suited for the NBA. College basketball is too restrictive for some guys to really be themselves.

I have thought Cody might return (and posted that). I think it's about a 1 in 20 chance.
He absolutely needs weight and confidence/mental toughness.
He and his family took a low-key, unusual approach to his college, and I think they may continue to surprise.

It's painful to watch such a great athlete, and good person, be unable to do what was second-nature to him.

Reminds me of 2012. These games are pure pain. Luke O'Brien with the game every senior wants to have. What a career

Was thinking about Luke the other night during the WSU game. I could be misremembering, but I think most people hoped he was going to be a scorer for CU based upon his HS career.

Dude came in and has grinded his ass off and found minutes at CU by doing dirty work like rebounding and not really scoring much, and it's cool that he's a local kid. As you say, "What a career!" Glad for him!

On the Cody discourse - we all agree he isn't playing well right now. But let's not forget how good he looked earlier in the season. I was at the Oregon game earlier in the year, where he took over and finished with 23 points. He's injured, frustrated, and pressing at the moment, but that doesn't mean he sucks or is a bust. He's an 18-year-old going through a rough patch. And I still think having him off the bench is a big advantage for us in March. Who knows when it clicks.

On the Cody discourse - we all agree he isn't playing well right now. But let's not forget how good he looked earlier in the season. I was at the Oregon game earlier in the year, where he took over and finished with 23 points. He's injured, frustrated, and pressing at the moment, but that doesn't mean he sucks or is a bust. He's an 18-year-old going through a rough patch. And I still think having him off the bench is a big advantage for us in March. Who knows when it clicks.

Exactly. And it’s more than just pressing. He’s a teenager trying to find a role on a veteran team that’s won 9 of 10. He’s stuck between stepping up and stepping back.

I won't comment on much of the game last night since I did not watch it. Sounded like a great last 4 minutes. From the box score it looks like Lampkin actually played solid. Simpson may have missed shots but he got tons of boards. They got little off the bench, so props to the starters for getting them through. I read the Cody quotes below and chuckled:

Cody Williams is just abysmal as a defender and Boise knows it. Doesn't matter who he is guarding. They go right at him.

He would have done better at the G League Ignite the way this all went down

Do you know, in the ESPN list below about the Top 50 NBA prospects for the Tourney, they say Cody (#6) projects to the NBA as a "plus defender." I don't think that I have seen this all year. Does not appear Cody fit the billing of "whatever contributions Williams can make could help to stabilize his [draft] stock." Last night, it sounded like a rough go, but he may be injured, so hard to knock a guy who may be limited. Also, he may be pressing things too. However, what do those East Coast guys know anyways?? I think ESPN had to lay off all their talent anyways in the era of cord cutting!! I doubt those guys have even seen a CU game this season...

Go Buffs.

Three Buffs make ESPN’s list of the Top 50 prospects in the NCAA Tournament (all three in Top 25)

From ESPN … March Madness is finally here as college basketball’s top players will enter the spotlight over the next few weeks.

NBA scouts will get one last look at many draft prospects competing for the final time before spring combines. The top of the 2024 draft class has been occupied most of the season by international prospects Alex Sarr and Zacharie Rischessier. Still, they won’t have a platform like the NCAA tournament to showcase their skills the way Kentucky’s Reed Sheppard and Rob Dillingham have access to starting on Thursday.

ESPN NBA draft insiders Jonathan Givony and Jeremy Woo provide their list of the top 50 prospects to watch during the NCAA tournament.

23. KJ Simpson | PG | Colorado

6-2 | Age: 21.6 | Junior

When: No. 10 Colorado vs. No. 10 Boise State | Wednesday | 9:10 p.m. ET | truTV

Simpson is one of college basketball’s most improved players, making a huge jump with his perimeter shooting (45% from 3) and playmaking ability, turning himself into a Pac-12 player of the year and All-America candidate while emerging as a serious NBA draft prospect. He was instrumental in Colorado’s eight-game winning streak that eventually earned the Buffaloes an NCAA tournament berth and will likely need to continue that momentum against Boise State for his team to have any chance of advancing into the Round of 64. NBA teams have questions about Simpson’s lack of size, length and strength that he won’t be able to answer during the NCAA tournament, so showing he can be productive in every setting he competes in despite his average physical tools is his best bet to help win scouts over.

14. Tristan da Silva | SF/PF | Colorado

6-9 | Age: 22.8 | Senior

When: No. Colorado vs. No. 10 Boise State | Wednesday | 9:10 p.m. ET | truTV

Da Silva played quite well in the Pac-12 tournament, helping Colorado sneak into the NCAA tourney with wins over Utah and Washington State and showcasing his growth as a jump shooter. His size and mobility make him a potential schematic asset in the NBA on the defensive end, where he can switch on the perimeter capably. He’s a knowledgeable offensive player and has become quite reliable, appealing to teams as a potential plug-and-play draft pick who can contribute off the bench. While not the most physical or strongest player, da Silva checks plenty of boxes as a long-term pro and potential back end first-rounder.

6. Cody Williams | SG/SF | Colorado

6-8 | Age: 19.3 | Freshman

When: No. Colorado vs. No. 10 Boise State | Wednesday | 9:10 p.m. ET | truTV

Williams’ individual play has tapered off in recent weeks, and he’s also dealt with minor injuries, slowing to some extent his momentum as a lottery pick. He projects as a plus defender, and there’s a lot to like about his size, feel and room to develop as a big playmaker, but he’s still a ways from impacting the game at the NBA level. Since his return from injury on March 14, Williams has been coming off the bench as the sixth man for a Colorado team that will have to win its First Four game versus Boise State on Wednesday night. While not a focal point on the Buffaloes, whatever contributions Williams can make could help to stabilize his stock. Some teams are still bullish on his upside while others are concerned with his dovetailing play and the leap he’ll need to make as a ball handler and shooter to have long-term success. The tourney is a big platform for him to assuage some of that, although it may be a tall order considering his somewhat limited offensive role.

Read full story here

Last edited:
I'm not what anybody can make of him. Almost every draft mock draft and there is no consensus. Some have him still #1 and other as low as #15 and everything in between

He needs another year in college but NBA $$$$$ will win out and his career will probably suffer for it
He’ll be developed way better by an nba team.

Brought this up on twitter, but do Luke and Tristan have the most tourney wins by men's hoopers at CU? (2) I couldn't think of anyone else that would have even had a shot at getting more than that.

Brought this up on twitter, but do Luke and Tristan have the most tourney wins by men's hoopers at CU? (2) I couldn't think of anyone else that would have even had a shot at getting more than that.
Definitely since the field expanded to 32 in 75, although they are tied with a few guys from the '61-62 and '62-63 teams.

The format was much, much different prior to that, but technically the whole team on '54-55 got 3 wins.

Cody doesn't have much to his offensive game outside of driving to the hoop right now. Boise State takes that away (as did Utah, WSU, and Oregon). He'll have a lot better opportunity against Florida.

??

He shoots over 40% from the three-point line. I get why Tad isn't interested in running plays for him right now. Cody needs to crash the boards and pick up some put-backs to get his mojo back.

??

He shoots over 40% from the three-point line. I get why Tad isn't interested in running plays for him right now. Cody needs to crash the boards and pick up some put-backs to get his mojo back.
Last night should have been custom made for Cody's skill set.

Boise State was cheating help toward KJ whenever he had the ball (primary defender plus 2 guys bracketing to eliminate penetration). They were also a team that relies on clean looks from 3 and takes a lot of them.

Cody would normally be shredding a defense off the bounce that had to rotate and recover to get to him. Cody would normally be closing those perimeter shooting windows while being a great trail shot blocker on blow byes out of an extended defense. This is the foundation of his game but he didn't have any success last night. He's not right, not himself.

Worth noting that last night CU:
  • Lost the turnover battle 12-9
  • Gave up 19(!) offensive rebounds vs. collecting 6
  • Had 19 fewer shot attempts than Boise
  • Saw their best player go 6 for 18
And still found a way to win. Gritty, gritty win. They good.

3 wins in 1955, one of which was the 3rd place game.

But, from a quick glance, no modern Buffs with multiple tourney wins

Edit: sc has a better read on this

Boise State was cheating help toward KJ whenever he had the ball (primary defender plus 2 guys bracketing to eliminate penetration). They were also a team that relies on clean looks from 3 and takes a lot of them.

Cody would normally be shredding a defense off the bounce that had to rotate and recover to get to him. Cody would normally be closing those perimeter shooting windows while being a great trail shot blocker on blow byes out of an extended defense. This is the foundation of his game but he didn't have any success last night. He's not right, not himself.
He did have one nice block.

Most importantly, he's going to be getting paid way more money to be developed.

There is no scenario in which he comes back.
Was there any scenario that suggested to you, that he would choose to play at Colorado with Tad? nope. It may be his parents, and he, wanted him here, because they wanted the kind of nurturing, soft-hearted, dad-away-from-home, that Tad is.
I'm guessing CW is very down about how things have unfolded.

1 in 20.

Eddie Lampkin is the X-Factor for Colorado
Tad Boyle called Lampkin a “game changer” for the Buffaloes when he landed him from TCU via the transfer portal. The 6-11 big man reiterated why in Tuesday night’s 60-53 win over Boise State in the First Four. Lampkin made several big plays down the stretch and gave Colorado a bonafide low post threat in the second half, finishing with 13 points and six rebounds in the victory. The Buffaloes are 16-4 this season when Lampkin scores in double figures. He could be in line for a big day on Friday, when Colorado faces Florida in Indianapolis as the Gators just lost starting center Micah Handlogten for the season due a leg injury
That stat line that they are 16-4 jumped out to me

Was there any scenario that suggested to you, that he would choose to play at Colorado with Tad? nope. It may be his parents, and he, wanted him here, because they wanted the kind of nurturing, soft-hearted, dad-away-from-home, that Tad is.
I'm guessing CW is very down about how things have unfolded.

1 in 20.

MPJ barely played at Missouri due to injury. He still entered the draft and let the Nuggets pay him to get right. If you want to say 1 in 20 to return, that's still 95% he leaves. Even so, that's optimistic. He's gone.

As I read you guys--sounds to me like he is just injured and off. All season, with all the NBA accolades I was surprised that he was not quite the slasher with easy buckets off cuts to the rim. That's not a complete negative, because he sort of featured explosion off the dribble and played a different game. He does have athletic ability and game We just have hope he gets better, as we continue this run. I like 5.2% to the Sweet 16.

Back