What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA 2024 Tourney game thread - #5 seed WOMEN'S Bball - 1st round game vs. #12 Drake (In Manhattan, Kansas; Friday, 3/22, 5:00 PM MT; ESPNEWS)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
For the 3rd straight year and after advancing to the Sweet 16 last season, women's basketball (24-10 overall; 13-7 in conference play) has earned a bid to the NCAA tourney as they were selected Sunday as a #5 seed in the "Albany 2" bracket. Their 1st round game is slated to be against the Drake Bulldogs (Out of Des Moines, IA; 29-5 overall, 19-1 in the Missouri Valley Conference (MVC)). The game will be at the Bramlage Coliseum in Manhattan, Kansas, with the tipoff scheduled for 5:00 PM MT.

After dominating their conference in the regular season, Drake will DEFINITELY be battle tested after their conference tourney experience. They had to go to overtime before winning their semi-final game against Northern Iowa, and then lost a 14 point lead they had with ~6-1/2 minutes left in the final against Missouri State before making a layup at the buzzer to earn a 1 point victory and the MVC auto (and only) berth. (Wanted to also note that the MVC was one of only a few conferences that had their women's tourney this past weekend rather than the prior one, and that final game was just yesterday (vs. the Buffs having over a week "off", at least from official games).)

The game is being shown on that most obscure of ESPN channels, ESPNEWS. (Further info and links for media options available near the bottom of this post.)

A couple notes:

(1) Not that they matter at all anymore, but in the last (pre-tournament selection) NET rankings, CU is #16 and Drake #65 .

(2) It could be a tense double header for Buff fans IF the men win their "1st 4" game against Boise State game on Wednesday night, as the winner of that game is scheduled to play the Florida Gators on Friday in a game that has a scheduled 2:30 PM MT start time.

Go Buffs!!!
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CU's initial post-selection article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/3/17/womens-basketball-colorado-returns-to-the-ncaa-tournament

"
Buffs earn a No. 5 seed and will head to Manhattan, Kan.

By: Seth Pringle, Athletic Communications

BOULDER –
No. 18 Colorado returns to the NCAA Tournament for the third consecutive season, earning a No. 5 seed in the Albany 2 Region on Selection Sunday. The Buffaloes will travel to Manhattan, Kan., to take on No. 12-seeded Drake in the first round.

The first-round game will be played on Friday, Mar. 22 (5 p.m. MT). Host No. 4 Kansas State will take on No. 13 Portland (2:30 p.m. MT). Both first-round games will be on ESPNEWS.

"[We're] so excited," head coach JR Payne exclaimed. "So many of us have been here a long time, and really been a part of building our program to where we expected to play in March. I think that in of itself is an incredible thing. An incredible testament to the amount of work and effort that's been poured in from players, staff, coaches, and everybody involved."

The selection to the field of 68 marks CU's third consecutive trip to the Big Dance. The last time the Buffs made back-to-back-to-back appearances in the NCAA Tournament was with four straight trips from the 2000-01 to 2003-04 seasons.

Colorado is 19-15 all-time in the NCAA Tournament and has advanced to the Elite Eight three times, the last coming in 2002. CU's advanced to the Sweet 16 last season as No. 6 seed. The Buffs traveled to Durham, N.C., picking up a pair of wins over Middle Tennessee and Duke before battling the eventual national runner-up in Iowa in the Sweet 16.

"It matters a lot," graduate guard Jaylyn Sherrod said of last season's experience. "We're going to another hostile environment. I don't know much about Kansas or the city [Manhattan] itself. It's all about bringing our own energy. We've been in this position before so we know how to get it done."

Colorado (22-9) draws the No. 5 seed for the second time in what is now 16 trips to the NCAA Tournament. The Buffs were the fifth seed in the 2013 tournament and hosted the first and second rounds in Boulder. CU is 0-1 all-time as the No. 5 seed, falling to No. 12 Kansas.

Junior Aaronette Vonleh, an All-Pac-12 selection, led the Buffs with 14.1 points per game this season. She's scored in double figures 25 times, including starting the year with a season-high 24 points in the Buffs' win over then No. 1 LSU. Sherrod, an All-America candidate, is averaging a career-high 13.0 points per game to go with 4.9 assists and 3.2 rebounds this season. She scored a career-high 34 points in CU's win over then-No. 12 Utah, earning multiple national player of the week honors. She became the school's all-time leader in games started (130) and just the third player in CU history to have over 1,000 career points (1,449) and 600 assists (624).

The postseason trip will be CU's fourth in a row. Colorado used the 2021 WNIT as a building block and graduated to the NCAA Tournament in both 2022 and 2023. The last time CU had four consecutive postseason berths were the 2011 WNIT, 2012 WNIT, 2013 NCAA Tournament and 2014 WNIT.

Drake (29-5) got the Missouri Valley Conference's automatic bid to the tournament by beating Missouri State at the buzzer in the MVC Tournament championship. The Bulldogs went 19-1 in conference play and enter the NCAA Tournament with a 14-game winning streak.

"I think being able to lean on that experience [from last season] and recognize that it's just a number," Payne continued. "We have played a lot of tough road games this year, and this one will be no different. Just be excited about being able to prepare now and knowing who our opponent is. We're just excited to be playing."

The Pac-12 landed seven teams in the field of 68. Southern California earned a No. 1 seed in the Portland 3 region. UCLA and Stanford both earned No. 2 seedings in the Albany 2 and Portland 4 regions, respectively. Oregon State (3), Utah (5) and Arizona (11) also got into the field.
"
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Links with more info on Drake:

Roster
- https://godrakebulldogs.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster
Stats - https://godrakebulldogs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2023-24?path=wbball
Schedule - https://godrakebulldogs.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule
Their preview article - Initial after selection -
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

NCAA's game page for this game
- https://www.ncaa.com/game/6284785

NCAA Interactive bracket - https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/basketball-women/d1/2024

NCAA's initial article with general tournament information (Dates of the various rounds, hosting cities, etc.) - https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...s-womens-ncaa-tournament-schedule-dates-times

Live video - Game is scheduled to be shown on ESPNEWS. For anyone with a subscription that includes access to that channel, I assume it will also be viewable on the ESPN app and/ or at https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/b49d2eac-ce23-4b80-a06a-7479dcc5f2a3 . (If for any reason that specific link doesn't work, access to all ESPN streams can be found at https://www.espn.com/watch/ .)

Live audio - The game will be available on 630 AM (or maybe 850 AM and 94.1 FM if they decide to upgrade the radio channel since it's a tourney game?) in the Denver/ Boulder area and maybe other stations in the Buff radio network. In addition, a free audio stream will be available at https://cubuffs.com/watch/.

Link to link to live stats (All games) - http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=colo (Link to links for ALL women's tourney games looks to be https://www.statbroadcast.com/ncaa/sites.php?tid=d1wbb .)
For this specific game (If blank, not available as I type this.) - https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/game/_/gameId/401637543/drake-colorado

Game notes -

Last edited:
Have a friend who lives in Des Moines and follows Drake. Says the Buffs won't have any problems beating them

As for KSU, my take it is depends on whether or not CU has gotten their mojo back.

One thing that will be interesting is whether or not the team was made stronger by the recent trials. That was a brutal schedule at the end of the year. Can they use that to impose their will on teams that aren’t top 10 pac12 teams

Hopefully the team is at full strength/healthy. Sara, Charlotte, Jaylyn...we need all hands on deck to get to the 2nd weekend.

Side note; maybe the team will feel somewhat comfortable in KSU's Bramlage Arena...it's basically a purple version of our event center.
422f49_c9b0e1f9733b409fbd4467aa9640f713~mv2.jpg
FEIIEI3UUAEusr2.jpg:large

I wonder if the same (lazy) architect designed both of these arenas..?
GO BUFFS!!!

Hopefully the team is at full strength/healthy. Sara, Charlotte, Jaylyn...we need all hands on deck to get to the 2nd weekend.

Side note; maybe the team will feel somewhat comfortable in KSU's Bramlage Arena...it's basically a purple version of our event center.
422f49_c9b0e1f9733b409fbd4467aa9640f713~mv2.jpg
FEIIEI3UUAEusr2.jpg:large

I wonder if the same (lazy) architect designed both of these arenas..?
GO BUFFS!!!

About 20 years ago we road tripped for a MBB game at KSU, it shocked us how similar we thought it was. It was also weird and almost awkward as we were the only CU fans there, in a sea of purple... ahh the Patton days

Have a friend who lives in Des Moines and follows Drake. Says the Buffs won't have any problems beating them

As for KSU, my take it is depends on whether or not CU has gotten their mojo back.

I have watched Drake on television when there were not better games I was interested in. They seem to rely on the 3 point shot. That is the only concern I have with Drake. We are not good at defending the 3 and if one of their players gets hot, we could be in trouble.

I have made the trip to Bramlage and it is similiar to Coors. This was in the mid 90's and a few of us made the trip to the purple place for a WBB game. They were good then but the Buffs won all of the games I saw there. There was a contigent of CU fans when I went. The same ones who would road trip. We sat right behind the bench and yes, the place was full of purple people.

There is not a lot to do in Manhattan at that time. It wasn't a lot better than Salina, Kansas. We did have fun in Salina unless we were one and done.

I did a bracket for fun and I picked Iowa to win it all in spite of the stacked side of the bracket. I do have Iowa playing Colorado.

CBS Sports had our Buffs as the most likely "First Four" team to advance in the tournament.

Drake’s numbers are 81.7 ppg., 487 FG%, .333 3 Pt%. Even from an off-brand league, these are pretty impressive. Buffs need to bring their A-game, as Drake is the kind of upper Midwest women’s hoops outfit that sometimes will outperform in the tournament, a la South Dakota recently.

Athletic article is behind a paywall.

I want us to get to the Sweet 16. Then things get much tougher. Team is playing with a chip on their shoulders. That usually bodes well for this team.

Congrats to Ms. Sherrod!

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/3/20/womens-basketball-sherrod-named-ap-all-america-honorable-mention

"

Sherrod Named AP All-America Honorable Mention​

First Buff since Chucky Jeffery to earn AP honors

BOULDER
Colorado point guard Jaylyn Sherrod was voted Associated Press (AP) All-America honorable mention, the organization announced on Wednesday.

Sherrod is the first CU women's basketball player to earn All-America honors (any team) since Mya Hollingshed had back-to-back WBCA All-America honorable mentions in 2021 and 2022. She is the first to earn AP honors since Chucky Jeffery's honorable mention in the 2012-13 season.

Sherrod is the fifth Buff to pick up AP honorable mention honors joining Jeffery, Jackie Farland (2007, 2008), Erin Scholz (1997) and Isabelle Fijalkowski (1995). Shelley Sheetz remains the only Colorado women's basketball player to earn above honorable mention, with her first team nod from both the AP and the WBCA in 1995.

"I am beyond proud of Jay for this incredible honor," head coach JR Payne expressed. "She has worked tirelessly for many years to not only create a name for herself but more importantly, for her university and team. She is as loyal as they come and has absolutely earned this prestigious award."

The latest honor comes on the heels of picking up her second consecutive All-Pac-12 and third All-Pac-12 Defensive Team honors.

Sherrod ranks third in the Pac-12 in total assists (151) and assists per game (4.9) and she's fourth in steals (67) and steals per game (2.14). The graduate guard is averaging a career-high 13.0 points per game this season. She earned Pac-12 Player of the Week and numerous National Player of the Week honors after recording a career-high 34 points against then-No. 12 Utah. Sherrod enters the NCAA Tournament with 402 points scored this season, 29 more than her previous career best.

Her impact has been felt in key moments throughout the season. Sherrod averaged 17.7 points and 4.1 assists in 12 games against ranked opponents this season. She scored 10 or more points in all 12 contests with a 44.7 field goal %.

Sherrod has started all 31 games for CU and became the Buffs' all-time leader in career starts (130). She is hitting a career-best 44.3% from the field this season and is a career-high 78.3% from the free-throw line. Sherrod also dished out a career-high 13 assists against UT Arlington and has five or more assists in 14 games this season. She has over 150 assists this season (151) for the third time in her career. Her 624 career assists are second all-time behind Kennedy Leonard's 664.

Sherrod has scored in double figures 20 times this season, including three games of 20 or more. She has also had at least one steal in 27 games this season.

The Birmingham, Ala., native, became the third Buff in program history to record over 1,000 points (1,446) and 600 assists in her career. In her career, she ranks 21st in field goals made (473), 14th in points, ninth in steals per game (2.0), fifth in total steals (268), fourth in free throws made (433) and second in games played (137).

Sherrod and the Buffs will open the NCAA Tournament as a No. 5 seed in Manhattan, Kan., on Friday, taking on 12th-seeded Drake on ESPNEWS (5 p.m. MT).
"

Athletic article is behind a paywall.

I want us to get to the Sweet 16. Then things get much tougher. Team is playing with a chip on their shoulders. That usually bodes well for this team.
It’s their last chance. Have they fixed the problems? We’ll see. I do hope they come out and win and go to the elite 8.

Preview for today's game - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/3/21/womens-basketball-no-17-buffs-ready-to-dance

"

No. 17 Buffs Ready to Dance​

Colorado opens the NCAA Tournament against Drake on Friday

MANHATTAN, Kan. –
The 17th-ranked and fifth-seeded Colorado Buffaloes will take the floor at Bramlage Coliseum against 12th-seeded Drake to open the 2024 NCAA Tournament on Friday (5 p.m. MT/ESPNEWS).

Colorado (22-9) aspired to host the first and second rounds at home at the CU Events Center, a sentiment many bracketologists shared in the lead-up to Selection Sunday. Instead, the Buffs saw their names called on the No. 5 line and will open on the road for the third consecutive NCAA Tournament.

"I think that it's just been a privilege and honor to be able to enter the tournament whether we're hosting or playing [on the road]," graduate Quay Miller expressed. "Just being able to keep playing and having everyone we started the season with be healthy enough to be in the postseason with us.

"Obviously, we wanted to host. I haven't experienced that in my years. But I really am just grateful for the opportunity to keep playing with who I've started my season with."

The Buffs have had time to regroup and collect themselves since they were last on the court. Colorado dropped a tightly contested Pac-12 quarterfinal to Oregon State in double-overtime, a result that left the Buffs' hosting opportunity in limbo.

But both Miller and AP All-America honorable mention point guard Jaylyn Sherrod made it a point to talk about playing where their feet are during Thursday's pre-practice press conference. A sentiment that head coach JR Payne also echoed.

"I think that's a core identity of our program," Payne commented. "We're trying to be great every day no matter what we're doing. In the weight room, conditioning in the summer, practicing, big game, don't have a game, our mindset is just to prioritize being excellent each and every day.

"I think it stems from that. So if we're in Manhattan, Kan., or playing Drake, that's all that matters to us. I think our team does a great job doing that."

Colorado had to win two games on the road in last season's tournament to advance to the Sweet 16. That experience is something the Buffs, who have 11 wins away from Boulder, can lean on this weekend.

"We are prepared for anything," senior Frida Formann said on Selection Sunday. "We played so many good teams and been in so many situations. I think no matter what, we are prepared and we've been in really hostile environments before. It's nothing new."

Drake (29-5) enters the tournament on a 14-game winning streak. The Bulldogs won the Missouri Valley Conference championship at the buzzer to earn the automatic bid to the tournament. Drake ranks seventh in the nation in field goal % (48.7) and third in assists per game (20.0). Katie Dinnebier, the team's leading scorer (17.9 ppg) is second in the NCAA in total assists (236) and third in assists per game (6.9).

Cory Lopez and Carol Callan will have the call across the Colorado Radio Network, locally on 850 KOA and 94.1 FM. Pregame coverage will begin 30 minutes before tipoff on the Varsity app.

Friday's winner will advance to the second round and take on either fourth-seeded Kansas State (25-7) or 13th-seeded Portland (21-12) on Sunday. Second round game times and TV networks will be announced after the completion of the first round.
"

Note - looks like the Pac 12 (and next season's Big 12) got off to a 1-0 start as Arizona, an 11 seed, won its 1st 4 game over Auburn 69-59.

Last edited:
ESPN stats showing a 5:22 PM (MT) start.?.
(In the earlier game, KSU looks to have rode a big 25-10 1st quarter all the way to the end and got a 78-65 win over Portland, so the winner of this game will be facing off against them on Sunday.)

Last edited:
Coach Payne NOT liking the start to this one, and calls an early timeout (with 7.26 left in the 1st quarter) with the Buffs down 3-11

Back