What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA Assessing Legislation to Pay Players

Now you lost me. I guess I should read up on what’s being proposed. I thought this was players getting compensation for things like video games, merchandise etc. Why would any one player make more than another? That would be a sticky situation. I could see it more as, “here’s a contract, you get X amount of compensation for giving us the rights to your likeness etc.”

But I could also be totally misunderstanding this so who knows.
Think of it this way, would you buy a Shenault Jersey? Now would you buy a Jynes Jersey? Using a players name to sell a Jersey or t shirt, they will get more compensation.

Make the BoR predominantly Democrat’s and we’ll have a hell of a tennis program.

0234AF5E-B7C6-47D6-9A94-B9AA7A8942ED.jpeg

Well, the players wouldn’t have the notoriety they have if the NCAA were not marketing their product. So the players definitely benefit from the huge TV contracts, marketing, etc that the NCAA pays for.
Huh? NCAA pays for? How are players currently benefiting?

Here’s something I think might work:
A kid like Shenault (as an example) can earn endorsement money, etc while in college. Those funds are placed in an escrow account until he graduates, with possibly a small stipend while in school. If he leaves school early, he has to pay all or a portion of his tuition costs from that account. If he graduates, he gets it all. This, in theory anyway, respects the “amateur” nature of college athletics while allowing the athlete to benefit from his likeness and notoriety. It also encourages the academic pursuit, which is kind of why schools exist in the first place. It also lessens (I think) the chance for the big name schools to bend the rules to their benefit.

Can of worms, Pandora’s box, use whatever metaphor you like. Thing is, we have been inching closer to this point for at least 20 years. Needs to be explored, but oh, man could this be a huge problem if not handled properly.

It was already not handled properly which led to no new NCAA football videogame since 2013. Those games came out in July of every year so this July will mean six years of no NCAA football. Wish Trump would declare a national emergency on that because it is a national emergency to people like myself.

I'm all for letting players profit off their likeness and being able to market themselves in college.

This isnt about paying the players to play, and thats where the real problems wpuld surface.

Here’s something I think might work:
A kid like Shenault (as an example) can earn endorsement money, etc while in college. Those funds are placed in an escrow account until he graduates, with possibly a small stipend while in school. If he leaves school early, he has to pay all or a portion of his tuition costs from that account. If he graduates, he gets it all. This, in theory anyway, respects the “amateur” nature of college athletics while allowing the athlete to benefit from his likeness and notoriety. It also encourages the academic pursuit, which is kind of why schools exist in the first place. It also lessens (I think) the chance for the big name schools to bend the rules to their benefit.
Yes. this is the correct solution. Deferral. Add escrow for medical expense fund. Pay the average Joe a small stipend held out the reserves.

Back