What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA NET RATING

BuffG

The Buffs could finish as the 2nd best P12 team by NCAA’s new NET rankings. NET’s algorithm factors in game results, strength of schedule, game location, scoring margin, and offensive/defensive efficiency.

They’re now 4th place with ASU only 8 spots ahead and Oregon only 10 spots ahead. Oregon plays 5 of their last 8 on the road. CU definitely has the more favorable schedule.

Obviously, they’re nowhere near bubble status at 80th place overall and the P12 is trash but finishing 2nd in conference in NET would be a commendable accomplishment after all the injuries and turmoil.

The Buffs could finish as the 2nd best P12 team by NCAA’s new NET rankings. NET’s algorithm factors in game results, strength of schedule, game location, scoring margin, and offensive/defensive efficiency.

They’re now 4th place with ASU only 8 spots ahead and Oregon only 10 spots ahead. Oregon plays 5 of their last 8 on the road. CU definitely has the more favorable schedule.

Obviously, they’re nowhere near bubble status at 80th place overall and the P12 is trash but finishing 2nd in conference in NET would be a commendable accomplishment after all the injuries and turmoil.

Not sure I love this for the strength of schedule aspect. It encourages a ****ty ooc. That is not for me.

Yeah, I’m not really trying to boost the merits of NET.

More so, this is the metric system we’re stuck with for qualifying to dance and if this young core can finish top 2 in the PAC while being shorthanded, then it bodes well for next year’s chances.

Although, It’s clearly more substantive than RPI.

What has boosted CU's Net is the reasonable 5-6 road record. Almost no chance they sweep the next road trip, but I'm pleasantly surprised that CU has a chance to be above .500 on the road this late in the season.

What has boosted CU's Net is the reasonable 5-6 road record. Almost no chance they sweep the next road trip, but I'm pleasantly surprised that CU has a chance to be above .500 on the road this late in the season.

Meh. Our road wins came at AFA, UNM, Cal, USC, and UCLA.

Meh. Our road wins came at AFA, UNM, Cal, USC, and UCLA.
I'm saying that those wins have helped our rating, justified or not. I'm also saying that CU's play on the road this year is a step forward from previous seasons.

Plenty of teams struggle to win on the road against mediocre competition. Kansas just won their 2nd road game last night. Auburn has 1 road win (against A&M, about the equivalent of Stanford), yet they're a tourney team.

I'm saying that those wins have helped our rating, justified or not. I'm also saying that CU's play on the road this year is a step forward from previous seasons.

Plenty of teams struggle to win on the road against mediocre competition. Kansas just won their 2nd road game last night. Auburn has 1 road win (against A&M, about the equivalent of Stanford), yet they're a tourney team.

Auburn crushed Washington and also has a w over Arizona. Kansas has neutral court wins over Michigan State, Marquette, and Tennessee.

Auburn crushed Washington and also has a w over Arizona. Kansas has neutral court wins over Michigan State, Marquette, and Tennessee.

The point is that winning on the road is hard. No one is arguing that because we have 5 road wins we are better than Auburn or Kansas. That would be a stupid argument.

Edit: Auburn is a bubble team and mediocre. Still better positioned than the Buffs right now, but I did have it in my head that they were like right behind Tennessee and Kentucky in the SEC, which they really aren't this year.

So what’s better for scheduling ooc? In terms of the NET. Awful road games or ranked teams on the road?

The point is that winning on the road is hard. No one is arguing that because we have 5 road wins we are better than Auburn or Kansas. That would be a stupid argument.

Edit: Auburn is a bubble team and mediocre. Still better positioned than the Buffs right now, but I did have it in my head that they were like right behind Tennessee and Kentucky in the SEC, which they really aren't this year.

So what’s better for scheduling ooc? In terms of the NET. Awful road games or ranked teams on the road?

And yet Kansas and Auburn have been less than mediocre on the road.

As far as @Birch1's question, I'd say neutral court games against big name teams. Look at how much mileage KU is getting out of the three they have given some of their losses.

@torerobuff-I agree with you 100% that winning on the road is hard, and I think the wins we have @UNM (who destroyed Nevada in early January in ABQ), @USC, and @UCLA (two game winning streak at Pauley) are fantastic. Don't kid yourself though-we'd have called for Tad's head had we lost at Cal or Air Force.

@99-Kansas has neutral court wins over Tennessee (#1 in the country and that's their only loss to this point), Michigan State (who beat #20 Wisconsin.....on the road tonight), and Marquette. Still more than good enough to be top 3-4 seed next month.

@99-Kansas has neutral court wins over Tennessee (#1 in the country and that's their only loss to this point), Michigan State (who beat #20 Wisconsin.....on the road tonight), and Marquette. Still more than good enough to be top 3-4 seed next month.

Oh, I'm not denying Kansas will be seeded highly next month, and deservedly so, based on their performance in big games at neutral sites and at home. My point was to point out the difficulty in winning on the road in college hoops- well, unless you're Duke and shoot twice as many free throws as the home team, then call it a miraculous comeback :)

Buffs NET ranking up 4 spots to 76 after the ASU win. Still 4th best NET in PAC behind UW (30), Oregon (67) and ASU (74).

Does anyone know of a site that forecasts NET? Something similar to what live-rpi / rpiforecast.com did. The only site I've found that even shows NET is ncaa.com. Is the NCAA keeping their formula a secret? Was curious what our NET ranking might look like if we won say 5 of 6 down the stretch. Is there any possibility we crack the top 50 and are in the conversation for an at large bid - or is our only chance of dancing winning the conference tourney?

Buffs NET ranking up 4 spots to 76 after the ASU win. Still 4th best NET in PAC behind UW (30), Oregon (67) and ASU (74).

Does anyone have a tracker on what our NET was prior to the Oregon game and specifically prior to the L.A. road sweep? Curious to see how those wins impacted our NET ranking. Discussion above centered around the importance of road wins, so I'd assume there was a bigger impact from the road wins against teams right around the top 100 in NET ranking versus beating two teams at home that are in the top 75.

Last edited:
Yesterday moved us from #77 to #73. Still outside true bubble range, I think, but our Buffs have some real opportunities this week.

Wazzu is a horrible #172. But more importantly is that it would be a road win and a win goes in a bette tier on the NCAA's team eval sheet, which we need.

UW is #31, by far the only Pac-12 program with a good rating that would almost certainly put them in the Dance even as an at-large if it holds.

Given the reputation and perception of Pac12 this year, I think we almost need to get into top 50 to even have a chance. So NIT is a much more hopeful goal

Given the reputation and perception of Pac12 this year, I think we almost need to get into top 50 to even have a chance. So NIT is a much more hopeful goal
Got to keep winning. Pac-12 tourney could be huge for us since that's an opportunity to notch some quality neutral site wins to balance out that neutral loss to Indiana State.

Got to keep winning. Pac-12 tourney could be huge for us since that's an opportunity to notch some quality neutral site wins to balance out that neutral loss to Indiana State.

UW is far ahead of the rest of the league but neither they nor any other teams look to be "dominant" in the way that make them untouchable in the conference tourney.

If the Buffs can continue to get it together playing complete games with a few breaks winning the tourney is not out of the question.

The Washington swing is always a huge concern. If we can go 1-1, I would be very pleased. Sounds like WSU is playing tough right now.

A game tonight that is almost as big for CU's resume as our own game is Indiana State (13-13) hosting Illinois State (14-13). The wheels fell off their season after beating CU and UNLV in Hawaii and now that has become a Tier 4 loss (our only Tier 4 loss). We need them to climb back into Tier 3 for our resume.

Last edited:
A game tonight that is almost as big for CU's resume as our own game is Indiana State (13-13) hosting Illinois State (14-13). The wheels fell off their season after beating CU and UNLV in Hawaii and now that has become a Tier 4 loss (our only Tier 4 loss). We need them to climb back into Tier 3 for our resume.

The Sycamores pummel Illini St. Hopefully, it’s the start of a hot streak.

Forcing myself to root for ASU over Stanford right now. Based on P12 standings and playing ASU twice vs Furd once, it can be significant help for our Buffs.

"Root" is probably the wrong word, though. More like I kind of remind myself "that's good" when ASU has something go its way while mostly yelling "Shut up, Bobby! Sit down, Bobby!" at my tv screen.

Back