What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA Settlement - Salary Cap & Back Payment of NIL to Former Players

I think we will have another realignment wave soon.

Hopefully someone like Robert Smith has an interest in buying an interest in the CU Athletic Department & associated assets. Only way to fund this, I think, and certainly the only way to manage what amounts to a pro sports franchise is to turn it over to the private sector.
I was surprised to see the mention of back payment in Rick’s letter. How far back are we talking and how would that work?

Occurs to me there's going to be some academically oriented BMD's who will be livid at their endowment money being used to back pay athletes

Occurs to me there's going to be some academically oriented BMD's who will be livid at their endowment money being used to back pay athletes
Using tax deductible contributions from the endowment would likely violate not only the purpose of those contributions, but also tax laws as this would not be a use for which would have made those contributions tax deductible. This will have to come strictly from television and licensing revenue.

Hopefully someone like Robert Smith has an interest in buying an interest in the CU Athletic Department & associated assets. Only way to fund this, I think, and certainly the only way to manage what amounts to a pro sports franchise is to turn it over to the private sector.
I would think anything like to sort would lead to severe tax implications, likely ending a lot of donor funding.

I am sorry to say, but we are on the precipice of a major shift where only a handful of DI schools survive and everyone else either drops to a lower classification that doesn't pay players anything other than their scholarships (FCS / D2) or eliminates football altogether due to the cost of running a program.

Until $$$ get figured out, this small dollar donor will not be making any donations to Colorado athletics. I don't want anything to do with my $$$ getting spent for NIL purposes.
Easy way to ensure it doesn't is to direct all donations to scholarship support for the particular sport you want to support. I am thinking of directing most of mine this next cycle to soccer with the rest to the general athletics scholarship fund.

Until $$$ get figured out, this small dollar donor will not be making any donations to Colorado athletics. I don't want anything to do with my $$$ getting spent for NIL purposes.
Maybe see if you can direct donations to spirit squads - dance, cheer, band, Ralphie & handlers. They've always been underfunded and at least that goes to enhancing the gameday experience which directly impacts fan enjoyment.

Can we do away with scholarships now and make the players pay tuition with this new money they’re all getting?
As part of the settlement, scholarship caps are eliminated and new roster limits will be implemented. Schools are now permitted to put on scholarship every member of a roster as long as they stay within a newly set roster limit.

More than realignment or NIL, this is the seismic shift to college athletics.

The entire financial model has to change and the settlement doesn't seem to address Title IX considerations and potential lawsuits if the compensation for a student-athlete playing a men's revenue sport (football or basketball) is different and more than what any female athlete gets.

Do the universities need to sell equity and privatize their athletic departments? Maybe just certain sports which have value get sold off with others becoming like D3?

All I know is that while I am still buying tickets and CU gear, I'm not interested in making extra donations any more to support GoFundMe programs to pay for coach salaries, facilities, player salaries, NIL collectives, other expenses and building the endowment.

More than realignment or NIL, this is the seismic shift to college athletics.

The entire financial model has to change and the settlement doesn't seem to address Title IX considerations and potential lawsuits if the compensation for a student-athlete playing a men's revenue sport (football or basketball) is different and more than what any female athlete gets.

Do the universities need to sell equity and privatize their athletic departments? Maybe just certain sports which have value get sold off with others becoming like D3?

All I know is that while I am still buying tickets and CU gear, I'm not interested in making extra donations any more to support GoFundMe programs to pay for coach salaries, facilities, player salaries, NIL collectives, other expenses and building the endowment.
College athletics has all the hallmarks for private equity. I suspect some will choose that path.

The next step either has to be congressional action or universities recognizing athletes as employees (unions, collective bargaining).

Many will hate this settlement. It was the only solution. Otherwise, the defendants would have lost with an estimated 20B in damages.

So if I followed this right schools can pay up to $20 million per year in salaries for all sports combined. That leaves a ton of room for discretion as to how the money will be distributed not just among all the different sports but even within football itself. Will all scholarship football players get a flat salary or will the star players get more? How much more do the star players get, and how do you determine that? Will it be based on playing time, stats, etc?

Alot of details that need to be worked out, and it sounds like these questions like these will be up to the discretion of each individual school.

So if I followed this right schools can pay up to $20 million per year in salaries for all sports combined. That leaves a ton of room for discretion as to how the money will be distributed not just among all the different sports but even within football itself. Will all scholarship football players get a flat salary or will the star players get more? How much more do the star players get, and how do you determine that? Is it based on playing time too?

Alot of details that need to be worked out, and it sounds like these questions like these will be up to the discretion of each individual school.
Correct, schools have discretion. That’s what they wanted on the settlement.

One minor detail. It’s 22 percent of revenues to be distributed, estimated at 20M across 69 P5 schools. Some will be more, some less… as I understand it.

Back