What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA Transfer Portal and the Buffs

I like it. They should actually make it unlimited transfers if they have a good reason to transfer more once and be eligible immediately. Players are not slaves signing a slave contract. I also want student athletes paid a share of the revenue they make for the school.

I like it. They should actually make it unlimited transfers if they have a good reason to transfer more once and be eligible immediately. Players are not slaves signing a slave contract. I also want student athletes paid a share of the revenue they make for the school.
Maybe net income, but revenue!?!

Paying athletes a share of revenue is a tough sell. Football players would make a lot more than basketball players, who would make a lot more than tennis players and skiers. You have title IX issues with that as well. It’s a non starter.

However, a system whereby a percentage of conference distributions are paid to student athletes would work. In the end, any direct payment to athletes will have to originate with conferences or the NCAA itself in order to avoid inequities between male and female athletes and high revenue generating sports and non-revenue generating sports.

No sarcasm. This should have happened years ago.
Compeitive sports require measures to maintain competitive balance and each fan base should have hope.
Free agency just about ruined ML Baseball, and it was saved when free agency was modified to include compensation draft picks and Luxury taxes.

Free movement will mostly result in the top programs never having an off year as they are able to correct their recruiting mistakes with transfers. Yes, a lot of players will move on to get more playing time (i.e. move down), but it will ultimately result in the have's being guaranteed to remain haves and the other schools in their division who make better talend-evaluations and development, that will lose their players.

Compeitive sports require measures to maintain competitive balance and each fan base should have hope.
Free agency just about ruined ML Baseball, and it was saved when free agency was modified to include compensation draft picks and Luxury taxes.

Free movement will mostly result in the top programs never having an off year as they are able to correct their recruiting mistakes with transfers. Yes, a lot of players will move on to get more playing time (i.e. move down), but it will ultimately result in the have's being guaranteed to remain haves and the other schools in their division who make better talend-evaluations and development, that will lose their players.
1. I would argue baseball being boring as **** ruined baseball. But that’s a different conversation.

2. This isn’t free agency. The kids aren’t signing contracts. They should have the same rights every other student at college has.

3. You act like the top programs rotate every year. It’s the same teams. This isn’t going to give them another advantage.

4. It’s for all NCAA sports down to D3. Not just top level football. Some kid at Western State or whatever it’s called now should be able to transfer if he/she gets to Gunnison and realizes it only gets 6 hours of sunlight in the winter without penalty.

Paying athletes a share of revenue is a tough sell. Football players would make a lot more than basketball players, who would make a lot more than tennis players and skiers. You have title IX issues with that as well. It’s a non starter.

However, a system whereby a percentage of conference distributions are paid to student athletes would work. In the end, any direct payment to athletes will have to originate with conferences or the NCAA itself in order to avoid inequities between male and female athletes and high revenue generating sports and non-revenue generating sports.

Title IX + paying players outright would cripple collegiate athletics within a decade, which is why you have to find other ways to allow them to make $$$. Making money off of their likeness is the perfect starting point, but that will not help many kids at all, in the final analysis. Maybe 1% of all football and men's basketball players and a smattering of other athletes from time to time will see any appreciable income at all?

It's really easy to say "pay the players", confusing AF to get it done.

When a player medically retired, they still get 4 years paid for, correct? Assuming his brother will be here despite his not playing anymore.
Yep. Thought initially he would go home. But would be an odd decision to give up a full ride. Plus their dad lives in CO I guess

NIL and the transfer rule should have happened a long time ago. NCAA screwed the pooch on both until everything all came to head all at once. Now they are just implementing everything quickly as they have no choice. They had time to make the right decisions that made sense for both, but that time has now passed. If it ruins college sports, then so be it, but this is completely on the NCAA and its Schools.

Back