What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New ILB Coach: Ross Els

I would not put to much stock into what other fan bases think of coaches who are no longer at that school. What has this fan base said about Jim Leavitt since December? And he was probably the best DC in school history.

That's exactly what many of the less snarky CU fans were saying when JL left, that he was great. With Els, nobody anywhere appears to be saying that. I wish they were. I'm happy to give the guy a chance. I'm also open enough to listen to arguments saying that he may not be a home run hire.

That's exactly what many of the less snarky CU fans were saying when JL left, that he was great. With Els, nobody anywhere appears to be saying that. I wish they were. I'm happy to give the guy a chance. I'm also open enough to listen to arguments saying that he may not be a home run hire.

The grain of salt I take here is that Pelini and that regime had become absolute punching bags by the time Els showed up, regardless of winning 9 games a season.

The level headed Nebraska fans that I know considered Els a very smart up and coming coach! He coached multiple NFL guys that improved every year, including Zaire Anderson on the Broncos. I believe the Special Teams coaching alone is worth +3 points per game which is huge! Never understood Macs plan for not caring enough about special teams? He will work hard, will recruit the midwest and work his way down towards Texas, and pretty sure he will not have any Domestic Violence issues!

The level headed Nebraska fans that I know considered Els a very smart up and coming coach! He coached multiple NFL guys that improved every year, including Zaire Anderson on the Broncos. I believe the Special Teams coaching alone is worth +3 points per game which is huge! Never understood Macs plan for not caring enough about special teams? He will work hard, will recruit the midwest and work his way down towards Texas, and pretty sure he will not have any Domestic Violence issues!

Most of this post is solid, but yikes on that recruiting strategy.

Not so fast... Colorado was ranked 114th defensively in 2014 and 85th in 2015 under Jim Leavitt. Purdue went from 111 to 91. Odd comments in bold. How is an improvement of 20 spots better than 29?

Some additional math errors in your response: He was at New Mexico State for 3 years (it just probably felt like 4 years). He was at Ohio for 5 years, not 6. He was a NUB for 3 years, not 4. Fact checkers, ain't that a beatch!

I am on board with the hire. I believe having a DC fill a position spot is a strength and the fact that he can assist with Special Teams and Recruiting is definitely a bonus.
I read the 2015 rankings wrong. Honest mistake.

2011 - 2014 is 4 seasons
2005 - 2010 is 6 seasons
2001 - 2004 is 4 seasons

So yes, your comments are still odd.

The hire is fine. Wait and see approach for me.

Last edited:
so, we now have @ 25 football coaches, including a 'director quality control -defense'. 1 for every 4 players. that's a bit obscene. what's the teacher/student ratio, 1 for 50? they should privatize the football team and stop pretending it is somehow part of the education business. CU could sell the naming rights to the private company - if Nike doesn't already own them.
It's interesting that you use the term "education business" because if you consider the University to be a "business" then there are very real business advantages to maintaining a high profile football team in association with the university:
  • The implication here is that CU spends more money on athletes than it does on regular students, or that money spent on athletics would be better spent on academics. the CU AD under Rick George has made it a priority to run a balanced budget, meaning that the AD is not subsidized by the University at all (this is not true at all Universities). In this sense, the AD is, in some sense, already privatized from CU. In fact, the AD contributes directly to the school's revenue via payment of tuition for all student athletes to the school; all student athletes are charged to the AD at an out of state rate.
  • Moreover, the AD contributes indirectly to the success of the school as a marketing endeavor. Alabama understands this, and has been the fastest growing flagship university in the US. Alabama has seen a 58% increase in applications from out-of-state students (who pay higher tuition) since Nick Saban got there. In fact, many recent academic studies show that athletic success benefit the university as a whole via increased donations and applications, so CU "selling the naming rights to the team" would dilute that connection and probably diminish that correlation.
  • Although I believe it the least compelling part of the argument, the football team also contributes to the "education business" by diversifying the student population and giving educations to students that would normally not profile to higher education.
You are correct about the fact that Nike pays money to CU- for branding rights. Not sure how that's relevant, though.

It is fair to say "I'm surprised we didn't grab someone with Cali recruiting ties" or "I would have loved someone who worked in x type of defense".

Those who label this hire a bust before he even has a chance to coach during the spring or show his impact in recruiting over the next season are weirdly pessimistic.

It is fair to say "I'm surprised we didn't grab someone with Cali recruiting ties" or "I would have loved someone who worked in x type of defense".

Those who label this hire a bust before he even has a chance to coach during the spring or show his impact in recruiting over the next season are weirdly pessimistic.

Labeling him a bust at this juncture is weirdly pessimistic, just as anyone calling it a great hire is overly optimistic.

CU press release is slobbing his nob because he is an NU guy. PUKE! He even has that snaggletoothed NU look. Not a single word about recruiting. His biggest qualification seems to be that he was unemployed and willing to take the job.

Fur Focks Sake! Bruh!

Back