What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New interview with Coach Chev

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member

Lots of really good insight into his journey and development as a coach, the life of a coach, etc.

But I figured the part about what schemes will influence his offense would be of most interest to the board.

• Up to this point in Boulder, you’ve been the co-offensive coordinator. This year the play-calling responsibilities are being handed over to you. What have you done this offseason to prepare yourself for that role? – “I’ve taken a lot of time to reach out to people I respect in the coaching community. Guys like Coach Kingsbury at Texas Tech and Coach Cumbie at TCU who run a similar system to what we run. Just taking the time to pick their brains and talk football with them to get ready for this opportunity. At the end of the day, as I mentioned before, I’ve got stay true to who I am and it’s got to reflect my identity. It’s got to be the offense and scheme that I believe in. I’m excited to do some things I want to do and I’m confident in what we’re going to be calling on Saturdays. I’m working every day to be ready for this moment.”

Great post.
About the schemes, I wish some smart fan in our community would break down the CU offense (defense as well) like this guy did for Oregon years ago. This honestly made me really appreciate watching the Ducks games we were forced to on Pac 12 late games.

Interesting to see him say TT and TCU are similar. Not the impression I get from watching both teams.
Same. Then you see this:

Are there certain coaches or programs you like to watch or that grab your attention more when they’re on television? – “No doubt. For instance, I’ve been really impressed with what Lincoln Riley is doing on offense at Oklahoma. He’s really developed some neat things from the air raid and incorporated 11 and 12-personnell concepts.

I LOVE THIS. What Oklahoma is doing on offense with the Hback/fullback is cutting edge. It also suggests that Chev may not be totally committed to the classic TT spread.

Same. Then you see this:

I LOVE THIS. What Oklahoma is doing on offense with the Hback/fullback is cutting edge. It also suggests that Chev may not be totally committed to the classic TT spread.

I like Riley's offense too, but I think the game management questions are there in that offense. OU's defense was not very good last season.

I like Riley's offense too, but I think the game management questions are there in that offense. OU's defense was not very good last season.
I've come to accept that is not part of Chev's DNA. Or at least, it won't be until he loses some games due to it. I just hope that learning period doesn't break him. This is a tough business. The point I'm deliriously making, however, is that his interest in concepts of using the H-back and TE in a spread attack to run the ball gives me hope I didn't have that he is more diverse than his first few interviews suggested. A matter of degree, not kind, I admit.

I often wonder though if that can be attributed to Riley being the head coach and being an offensive guy? Leach and Kingsbury, same situation. Sonny Dykes - same.

I don't have the time but I think it would be interesting to see what has happened to TCU's defense (legendary system) during the last 4 seasons since Cumbie took over the offense. And are there offenses as good as they might be if Cumbie didn't have a defensive minded Head Coach at TCU? Just a thought....

Well, CU is going to some variation of the TT Air Raid. It may not look exactly like Mike Leach PlayStation, but somebody posted a look at the splits the OL was taking.

I suspect that is why CU has gone so heavy on recruiting WR's. CU is loaded there. The RB's seems to be of the all-purpose type. TT rarely had highly rated OL and they did fine. Whatever it is, it will spread the field horizontally and exploit mismatches/gaps instead of traditional overpowering the opponent at the point of attack.

The RPO/spread option is just the next evolution of the triple option. CU will be scoring a lot of points.

Will they be able to defend?

Well, CU is going to some variation of the TT Air Raid. It may not look exactly like Mike Leach PlayStation, but somebody posted a look at the splits the OL was taking.

I suspect that is why CU has gone so heavy on recruiting WR's. CU is loaded there. The RB's seems to be of the all-purpose type. TT rarely had highly rated OL and they did fine. Whatever it is, it will spread the field horizontally and exploit mismatches/gaps instead of traditional overpowering the opponent at the point of attack.

The RPO/spread option is just the next evolution of the triple option. CU will be scoring a lot of points.

Will they be able to defend?
Yes, they will become a top notch defense.

Back