What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New proposal: let redshirting players play in bowl games

Do you want to see redshirts play in bowl games?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Look at CU the previous 10 or so years prior to last season. One complaint I heard was that bowl teams get extra practices, putting CU at a disadvantage. I still voted "yes" on the proposal, BTW. Just trying to look at the "negatives."
Yep. But as much as I was frustrated by the situation, I also feel like you should be at a disadvantage if you can't find your way to a .500 season.

There is middle ground here where you rotate in the redshirt freshman for a few series to give the other OL a blow and get tape you can use in spring practice to improve upon.
The folks that are against RS's playing seem to be taking the approach it is play all game or play none of it. Even a few series is incredibly helpful - even for the starters, I would argue.

I agree there is a middle ground. I just happen to think we are talking about a select group of players anyway. The idea that just because freshmen could play without losing the redshirt, does not mean they should play. A series or two in a bowl game is not going to be some dramatic net positive for a lot of players.

I agree there is a middle ground. I just happen to think we are talking about a select group of players anyway. The idea that just because freshmen could play without losing the redshirt, does not mean they should play. A series or two in a bowl game is not going to be some dramatic net positive for a lot of players.
Exactly. I am not sure where people are getting the notion that the flood gates of red-shirt freshman are going to come in and take away positions/playing time from other players, in these bowl games. I would imagine that it would probably be a player or two on each team, at the most. I highly doubt any of them would be playing more than special teams as well.

Exactly. I am not sure where people are getting the notion that the flood gates of red-shirt freshman are going to come in and take away positions/playing time from other players, in these bowl games. I would imagine that it would probably be a player or two on each team, at the most. I highly doubt any of them would be playing more than special teams as well.
Unless there was a rash or injuries and other attrition, I think it would mostly be used similar to what we see in basketball when the coach uses the end of the game if it's out of reach to get seniors on the court in their final game or walk ons a chance to appear in the game. There might be a few guys who they work in on special teams or whatnot, but all coaches want the resume bump from a win for recruiting & their own prestige (and the good ones care deeply about sending their seniors & off the right way with a win).

Unless there was a rash or injuries and other attrition, I think it would mostly be used similar to what we see in basketball when the coach uses the end of the game if it's out of reach to get seniors on the court in their final game or walk ons a chance to appear in the game. There might be a few guys who they work in on special teams or whatnot, but all coaches want the resume bump from a win for recruiting & their own prestige (and the good ones care deeply about sending their seniors & off the right way with a win).
You don't play an entire season and then all of a sudden in a few weeks start replacing players with guys who haven't played all season. You play the guys who got you there and the reason you are where you are at. I am sure there will be small cases of guys who may play a bigger role, but this is an easy decision here for me.

My feelings are that I don't really give a **** if it's a rule, but if my coach started using it on a regular basis, I'd be pissed.

You made it to a bowl game, so you obviously had a decent season with decent players. Using the bowl game to "get looks" at kids instead of rewarding players would be bull**** and potentially damaging to the program.

Having said that, I could see situations where it could be useful - injuries at certain positions, seniors or early exiters sitting out the game, etc. If you're playing to win the game and you have a choice between a redshirt who might be starting next year and a walk-on, having this rule would be nice.

Redshirt rules are a little capricious with medical hardships and the occasional need to burn a redshirt late in a season because of injuries to starters. I would propose: any player that misses a cumulative total of 12 regular season games in their first four years is eligible for a fifth year.

This would include games missed due to injuries, or intentional sitting out to preserve their fifth year of eligibility.

Redshirt rules are a little capricious with medical hardships and the occasional need to burn a redshirt late in a season because of injuries to starters. I would propose: any player that misses a cumulative total of 12 regular season games in their first four years is eligible for a fifth year.

I like it.

I think it'd be great for a kid who gets injured early and misses the season while red shirting. Say he gets healthy by the bowl game and can play without burning the RS. That'd be a favorable scenario.

Just go with 5 years of eligibility period then you answer a lot of these arguments.

As to the advantage of the bowl practices I think teams that don't make a bowl should get an extra 10 post season practices.

That would be collasally stupid, so yes, I would have a problem with it.
Im not saying they play the whole game or all at the same time. Give the newbies a few series with the first team. Get their feet wet, see what they need to work on against someone other than their teammates.

I don't see how it's stupid in any way. The games don't matter.

"Hey seniors: Many of you committed to us when CU was a laughingstock. You have only experienced regular winning last season. This program has played in two bowl games since 2006 and has not won one since 2005. We appreciate all the effort and hard work you have put into turning this program around. We are looking to you guys to help lead this team in 2017 and to provide guidance to our younger and inexperienced players.

But before we go any further, I just want to make one thing clear: if we do make a bowl game, we are going to need you guys to step aside and allow the younger players to get reps because we all know bowl games do not really matter.

Welcome To The Fight!"

"Hey seniors: Many of you committed to us when CU was a laughingstock. You have only experienced regular winning last season. This program has played in two bowl games since 2006 and has not won one since 2005. We appreciate all the effort and hard work you have put into turning this program around. We are looking to you guys to help lead this team in 2017 and to provide guidance to our younger and inexperienced players.

But before we go any further, I just want to make one thing clear: if we do make a bowl game, we are going to need you guys to step aside and allow the younger players to get reps because we all know bowl games do not really matter.

Welcome To The Fight!"
That seems to be the way some of our AB member think MM might handle it if the proposed rule became a reality. I think that the thought that might happen is absurd. Most likely be used because a guy got hurt and they needed someone to step up, which the seniors would more than welcome.

Different sports, but in relay events in the Olympics (swimming and track), teams can switch out racers between the preliminary heats and the medal round - something about that always bothered me too.

Do they all get the medal, or just the final squad?

Back