What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NEW Sling TV A La Carte TV

My sling experience has deteriorated.

I wanted to watch shows on SyFy that required a login. A login page has a few sites featured, and sling tv was in a pulldown. Unfortunately, the sling login never worked. I emailed SyFy a couple of times and never heard anything, not even an acknowledgement of my question. Now the page never finishes loading and the pulldown never shows up.

I also contacted sling - the first reply was that they don't have authentication on the SyFy site. When I replied that didn't jive with the pulldown, a different guy said they're working on it. He also told me that they had zero control over the content offered on their app - that also makes no sense, they surely have agreements about getting content soon after published, numbers of episodes, etc. otherwise they have nothing to offer. And their app content is hit and miss. For example, sometimes the sling app would show several episodes of The Expanse and other times no episodes. After a couple of weeks sling closed the issue w/o resolving it. They also seem to have mostly movies for an extra fee - you can find free ones but I can't find a way to search for that. All in all pretty disappointing, and I'll likely soon be back to Amazon Prime only.

@Clean Undies

is the peering agreements a relic of deregulation of AT&T in the 80s? Where long distance carriers would offer free switching of telephone traffic? Are these peer agreements regulated in the fact that you could charge on volume and not content? So for example if Cogent offloads twice as much as they carry, then can they be charged by other backbone providers?

I'm not an expert on the regulatory history, but suspect that some principles of peering might go even farther back than 80's and Judge Green's decree. Other aspects have been shaped or clarified following the 96 Telecom Act, when internet started to hit it's stride.

It will be interesting to see how young professionals will take Telecom and internet policy as they age into regulatory positions. So much of Telecom regulation is a relic of a by-gone era. Policy has a hard time keeping pace with changes in the industry brought about by technological innovation. Principles that were debated by congress in 1921 (the original Telecom Act) or 1985 divestiture or 1996 Telecom Act might or might not be relevant in an IP enabled video enhanced multi-platform environment.

My sling experience has deteriorated.

I wanted to watch shows on SyFy that required a login. A login page has a few sites featured, and sling tv was in a pulldown. Unfortunately, the sling login never worked. I emailed SyFy a couple of times and never heard anything, not even an acknowledgement of my question. Now the page never finishes loading and the pulldown never shows up.

I also contacted sling - the first reply was that they don't have authentication on the SyFy site. When I replied that didn't jive with the pulldown, a different guy said they're working on it. He also told me that they had zero control over the content offered on their app - that also makes no sense, they surely have agreements about getting content soon after published, numbers of episodes, etc. otherwise they have nothing to offer. And their app content is hit and miss. For example, sometimes the sling app would show several episodes of The Expanse and other times no episodes. After a couple of weeks sling closed the issue w/o resolving it. They also seem to have mostly movies for an extra fee - you can find free ones but I can't find a way to search for that. All in all pretty disappointing, and I'll likely soon be back to Amazon Prime only.
That must have been to watch old episodes on SyFy? I'm watching Ghost Rider on both Windows 10 and iOS right now. For some reason, the iOS is about 5 seconds ahead, but both seem to be working fine.

One limitation with Sling is definitely the archived episode item. They are slowly adding additional functionality here (beta DVR for starters), but they have a lot of work to do on this front.

I accept these limitations as a part of paying $35/month and saving a grand a year because the old episodes just aren't that important to me.

I suspect they will need to figure this out as all the services converge on capabilities, but Sling is clearly pushing the value message, so they may be slower to do it.

That must have been to watch old episodes on SyFy? I'm watching Ghost Rider on both Windows 10 and iOS right now. For some reason, the iOS is about 5 seconds ahead, but both seem to be working fine.

One limitation with Sling is definitely the archived episode item. They are slowly adding additional functionality here (beta DVR for starters), but they have a lot of work to do on this front.

I accept these limitations as a part of paying $35/month and saving a grand a year because the old episodes just aren't that important to me.

I suspect they will need to figure this out as all the services converge on capabilities, but Sling is clearly pushing the value message, so they may be slower to do it.
Are you watching on SyFy or the Sling TV app? I can watch newer stuff on the app, but I can't get the SyFy web site to even load the login prompt after selecting an old episode of Killjoys. I get a "something went wrong" message. This is on Windows 8.1, but that shouldn't be a factor.

Are you watching on SyFy or the Sling TV app? I can watch newer stuff on the app, but I can't get the SyFy web site to even load the login prompt after selecting an old episode of Killjoys. I get a "something went wrong" message. This is on Windows 8.1, but that shouldn't be a factor.
Sling TV, so didn't try to access legacy episodes on SyFy's home page. I haven't tried to use my sling creds to log into a channels home, so have no idea if your problem is universal or an exception.

Sling TV, so didn't try to access legacy episodes on SyFy's home page. I haven't tried to use my sling creds to log into a channels home, so have no idea if your problem is universal or an exception.
I'm sure I can watch the latest Killjoy episodes, but I like to start at the beginning. I watched season 1 of Mr Robot on Amazon and then all of season 2 on Sling, and the same with The Expanse, but we should be able to use a Sling TV logon to watch anything on their affiliated channel sites. At least, that's what 1 out of 2 Sling TV customer service reps said.

Back