What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New to the Board

15 dolla! you pay now! but seriously, the korean shop assistant was trying to say that an avatar is a privilege for those that pay a 15 dollar yearly fee to keep the site going. help these guys out!

Korean shop assistant? I read that totally differently--in my mind's ear, Tone Loc was bargain shopping.

Regarding the talented kicker prospect:

I would discourage him from even considering CU for several reasons.

Every kicker dreams of winning a game-winning field goal. That won't happen at CU; as I make my non-biased evaluation for the future of the Buffs, I realize that none of the games will even be close. Certainly not within three points in the fourth quarter.

Furthermore, the offense will almost certainly punch in every possession for 6. The extra point is great for the young man (and honestly, with all of the TDs we're gonna score, he'll probably be one of the NCAA point-leaders on extra points alone), but what a waste of considerable talent, kicking all of those PATs.

But you must discourage him from visiting now. Put it out of his mind completely. You don't want him meeting the staff, the team or even so much as stepping foot in Boulder. If he does, he'll be willing to sacrifice his million dollar leg just to be part of something special. Instead, he should consider a team (outside of the Big XII) who could really use a lot of Field Goals. Syracuse is nice, I've heard.

Best wishes, and go Buffs!:smile2:

Every kicker dreams of winning a game-winning field goal. That won't happen at CU; as I make my non-biased evaluation for the future of the Buffs, I realize that none of the games will even be close. Certainly not within three points in the fourth quarter.

ymssra! :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure he went straight into the ministry after college. His father was a pastor, and that was his calling as well. I wasn't his best friend, but he and I were decent enough acquaintances.

Yeah, I was confusing him with Keith English. I worked at WillVill's godawful dining hall in 89 with a friend of Keith English, and the names got crossed in my memory.

Here's a little help with that list (1985-present):

Punters: Mitch Berger (All-America, NFL), Tom Rouen (All-America, NFL), Keith English (All-America, NFL), Barry Helton (2x All-America, NFL), John Torp (2nd Team All-America)

Kickers: Mason Crosby (All-America, NFL), Mark Mariscal (All-America)

In addition, Jeremy Flores was all-Big XII pk,

Then there is the fact that if your son goes to CU the Buffs will have the best kicking tandem in the country: Van Ginkel & Grossnickel. Sweet.

Why has everyone left out our most famous kicker? When I went to my son's first practice in 00 I was amazed at how well that kicker kicked it into the ass of the snapper.

On a more serious note 7throck consider the cost of getting to games. Then again at USC you run the risk of getting to games cheaper to watch your son sit on the bench. I am from another state and knew that when buffson took the offer from CU he would never return to his home state. Now that he is done with football at all levels he is in Denver to stay. I can't blame him but it would be nice to have him closer to home. One of the best reasons to consider CU is Gary Barnett is gone. :smile2:

Of all the stadiums I visited (including USC's) Folsom is far and away the best game day experience I have ever had. I think I had more fun watching buffson's college career than anything else in my life, wish it lasted longer. Best of luck to you and your son.

Yeah, I was confusing him with Keith English. I worked at WillVill's godawful dining hall in 89 with a friend of Keith English, and the names got crossed in my memory.

Keith English? There is a blast from the past. Freshman year I lived across the hall from him in The Pit of Hallett Hall. Great guy!:thumbsup:

FYI for 7Rock - TBD's son played at CU. While he may try to get you to buy some gold, he would be an excellent resource for any parent who's son is entertaining the thought of playing football at CU.

Keith English? There is a blast from the past. Freshman year I lived across the hall from him in The Pit of Hallett Hall. Great guy!:thumbsup:

NOICE reference to the Pit in Hallett! My freshmen year we were all on our best behavior until we found out that kids getting kicked out of other dorms were sent to Hallett...it was on from there. Our RA quit before second semester started. Big Mike suplexed the RA on the third floor and busted his arm all up. Good times.

errrehhmmm...Sorry 7Rock, what I meant to say was that while I attended the University of Colorado I was exclusively focused on academics.

CU is a great school with fantasic academic standing and a strong athletic tradition that Bohn and Hawkins had to wipe the tarnish off of and are now building on top of. I am sure your son (seemingly driven, focused, hardworking) will succeed whereever he goes. best of luck to you both.

Go Buffs!

FYI for 7Rock - TBD's son played at CU. While he may try to get you to buy some pizza, he would be an excellent resource for any parent who's son is entertaining the thought of playing football at CU.

Fify, I sell no gold, a buyer of silver only these days. :thumbsup:

Why has everyone left out our most famous kicker? When I went to my son's first practice in 00 I was amazed at how well that kicker kicked it into the ass of the snapper.

Drill the pill, baby.:lol:

On a more serious note 7throck consider the cost of getting to games.

That is definitely a big one in considering schools.

Not just the cost, but the hassle of getting there.

Our QB from last season, Josh Nunes, comitted to Tennessee, but while he and his family were visiting to watch a game, they got a call that his grandmother was very ill and might die.
Trying to get out of Knoxville was a nightmare for them.
They couldn`t get a flight, and were told they would have to be rerouted all over the country just to get home.
They made it home about 36 hours later, just before his grandmother passed away.
He de-comitted and chose Stanford.

I haven`t checked on the cost of flights to Denver yet, but it`s a big hub, so flights should be reasonable and easy to get.

Our QB from last season, Josh Nunes, comitted to Tennessee, but while he and his family were visiting to watch a game, they got a call that his grandmother was very ill and might die.
They couldn`t get a flight, and were told they would have to be rerouted all over the country just to get home.
They made it home about 36 hours later, just before his grandmother passed away.

I haven`t checked on the cost of flights to Denver yet, but it`s a big hub, so flights should be reasonable and easy to get.

It is an International, so yeah. Flights are reasonable, provided your flying out of another big airport. Some hate United on here, but there are a ton of weekend e-fares. Usually from ND to Den it would cost me $600-1000 round trip the e-fare's are like $200.

Interesting to hear some of the things that don't make it to the recruiting boards and factor into a player's decision.

Good luck to your son wherever he goes. Being from Southern California and a recent CU grad, I can say leaving California and going to Boulder was one of the best decisions I've made.

Interesting to hear some of the things that don't make it to the recruiting boards and factor into a player's decision.

Good luck to your son wherever he goes. Being from Southern California and a recent CU grad, I can say leaving California and going to Boulder was one of the best decisions I've made.

Agreed. I remember following the Nunes recruitment because I actually thought we had a decent shot. Was a bit surprised when he committed to Tennessee in the first place.

That is definitely something to consider though. Boulder is not far from Denver and I believe DIA is the 6th busiest airport in the US.

Flights from Denver to Long Beach, LAX, Ontario, San Jose, San Francisco, and Oakland are all dirt cheap on either Frontier or Southwest. Flights to Stillwater, Ames, Manhattan, Waco, etc.? Not so much.

Flights are not expensive into Denver and they are frequent from Dallas anyway. I spent on average about $225.00 per flight and it helped that I had customers in Colorado that I could schedule calls with on Thursdays and Fridays. I drove up about a half dozen times (800 miles) which was helpful when we had a crew that wanted to go.

The Courtyard in Louisville had a parent rate of $45.00 night and is a decent place to stay with a short drive to Folsom. Go Buffs!!!

Flights from Denver to Long Beach, LAX, Ontario, San Jose, San Francisco, and Oakland are all dirt cheap on either Frontier or Southwest. Flights to Stillwater, Ames, Manhattan, Waco, etc.? Not so much.

Upland, where I live, is in the foothills above Ontario.

Ontario International Airport is 10 minutes from my front door.

I live in a pretty good location.
Mt. Baldy Ski Resort is just 20 minutes up the mountain.
The desert is less than 30 minutes away.
The beach is about 35-40 minutes, with no traffic.

I bet it wouldn`t take long to get to Denver.
How far is Folsom from the airport?

Upland, where I live, is in the foothills above Ontario.

Ontario International Airport is 10 minutes from my front door.

I live in a pretty good location.
Mt. Baldy Ski Resort is just 20 minutes up the mountain.
The desert is less than 30 minutes away.
The beach is about 35-40 minutes, with no traffic.

I bet it wouldn`t take long to get to Denver.
How far is Folsom from the airport?

Folsom to the Airport is about 30 minutes without traffic if you use the tollway. On gameday, it can get a little crowded, particularly from Louisville into Boulder. Add an extra 45 minutes for traffic on gamedays.

$6.... I only use the NW Parkway if I need to get to the airport and it is rush hour. It doesn't take long to get from DIA to Boulder

Agreed. I remember following the Nunes recruitment because I actually thought we had a decent shot. Was a bit surprised when he committed to Tennessee in the first place.

Josh actually wanted to go to Stanford all along.
He had an offer, but Harbough had some weird thing where he wouldn`t accept a QB`s verbal until a certain date.
Josh was waiting to verbal, but in the meantime other schools that had offered him, got impatient and started pulling their offers.
Josh got nervous and gave a verbal to Tennessee.
Stanford finally accepted his verbal about the time the incedent with his grandmother happened.

Getting to Boulder from DIA is easy. Take the toll way to 36 and shoot into town.

Where a first-timer should park on game day is the question.

Josh actually wanted to go to Stanford all along.
He had an offer, but Harbough had some weird thing where he wouldn`t accept a QB`s verbal until a certain date.
Josh was waiting to verbal, but in the meantime other schools that had offered him, got impatient and started pulling their offers.
Josh got nervous and gave a verbal to Tennessee.
Stanford finally accepted his verbal about the time the incedent with his grandmother happened.

Interesting. Thanks for the info, makes a lot of sense now.

Back