What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Next CU MBB coach

Based on what you hear about Penders down here in Austin and his tenure at UH, not sure he's a good guy to be talking to for our quagmire. I'm all about the Boyle and Bennett interviews though!

McClain, Bennett, Boyle and Gregory would all win at CU. They're all excellent coaches.

Gregory's an interesting addition. His Dayton team just beat North Carolina to win the NIT. He's built a good program there and was an assistant for a while with and then under Izzo at Michigan State. He probably wouldn't stay long if he had success (Big 10 guy), but he would have success.

Kruger is also an interesting choice. I loved his Illinois teams and he's now done a nice job of bringing UNLV back. I had to go back and look up his Wiki bio. I had forgotten he was a head coach in the NBA and didn't realize he was in the NCAAs all 4 years at KSU with an Elite 8 and then even got Florida to a Final 4. And he's still only Bzdelik's age (57). At that age, even though he's been a mercenary, it's likely the next stop is his last.

If McClain is cheap, I say hire him if you can get a short-term contract. If he's good, we can renew his contract later. If he's not good, he keeps the current team from falling apart, hopefully saves our recruiting class this year, and saves a bit of money to hire a good football coach at the conclusion of the football season assuming Hawk doesn't turn it around or a better MBB coach if Hawk somehow pulls it together.

I think one possibility that no one is mentioning is the fact that a new guy gets hired and McClain is kept on the next staff. He apparently really likes Colorado and I doubt there are going to be tons of teams knocking down his door at this time of year, so maybe we CU actually gets the best of both worlds for a change? I am not saying it is a strong possibility, but I would not discount it either.

He has an offer to go with Bzdelik...I imagine being Associate Head Coach gives you an idea you might get the job if the Head Coach leaves

He has an offer to go with Bzdelik...I imagine being Associate Head Coach gives you an idea you might get the job if the Head Coach leaves

True, but as shifty as Bz is, I really don't see him up and leaving Wake.... but then again lol.

How do we know about this offer to be the top assistant at Wake? If Bz claimed not to have a firm offer at the players meeting, I'm skeptical that this internet report that McClain has an offer to be the top-paid assistant in the ACC is true.

How do we know about this offer to be the top assistant at Wake? If Bz claimed not to have a firm offer at the players meeting, I'm skeptical that this internet report that McClain has an offer to be the top-paid assistant in the ACC is true.

Still, with Bzdelik at Wake I've got to believe that McClain joins him if he gets no head coaching offers.

McClain has definitely been offered to be Bzdeliks top assistant as well as the highest paid assistant in the ACC

McClain has definitely been offered to be Bzdeliks top assistant as well as the highest paid assistant in the ACC

Should I say this? Sure.

I call BS and think that you are posting from somewhere within the AD's office.

You seem to be a fairly informed guy and I believe you didn't just pull that out of your ass, but I still want to know the source.

It seems odd to me that in such a powerful league, a questionable coaching hire, at a middle-of-the-pack school (for that conference), would have the stroke to make that kind of demand.

Being in the position I'm in you can understand I'm not going to reveal my sources nor who I am. If i did that I wouldn't get the information I do. But I know what I'm talking about, trust me

Tad boyle would be a great get. he coached here at wichita state and left after wsu went to the sweet sixteen. He gets really firey and sometimes gets ejected. But a very nice dude. had easter dinner with him once. Don't know much about his recruiting ability.

fwiw, I've never heard anyone say a single bad word about Tad Boyle. He seems like a really good man on top of being a really good coach.

Something I found interesting is Doug Gottlieb of ESPN saying that CU brass was expecting Bzdelik to leave for the NBA this summer because he doesn't like recruiting....I got the sense the couple of times I have been around Bz that he doesn't enjoy it or is very good at it actually.

I think for CU to be getting who they are getting, McClain has a big hand in that. If he gets the job and gets another recruiting animal, that will make the program even stronger.

Signing day is three days away...hire McClain tonight and save the recruiting class

Agreed. CU has Majok Majok (6'8, 230) in later this week for a visit. It's very important that you make sure there is continuity right away so you can land a quality big like this, and perhaps Guy Marc Michelle from N. Idaho.

I've also heard that if McClain is indeed hired immediately, that Casey Crawford might consider staying for his Sr. year.

Something I found interesting is Doug Gottlieb of ESPN saying that CU brass was expecting Bzdelik to leave for the NBA this summer because he doesn't like recruiting....I got the sense the couple of times I have been around Bz that he doesn't enjoy it or is very good at it actually.

I think for CU to be getting who they are getting, McClain has a big hand in that. If he gets the job and gets another recruiting animal, that will make the program even stronger.

iirc, McClain found Burks for us. A couple prospects we are after this cycle have also said in interviews that they don't really talk to Bzdelik much. Bzdelik's pretty much unmatched as an Xs and Os guy, but McClain's been the charismatic and tireless recruiter for us during this successful rebuild of the program. And it's not like Bzdelik would have anyone on his staff who he didn't respect for his basketball IQ (especially an Associate Head Coach he trusted to run practices and coach some games without him).

FWIW, one of the morning sports talk guys here was at Wyo doing sports when McClain was the coach there (also a Wyo grad). He is, to put it mildly, NOT a fan. They had just interviewed Bz last week, so they talked quite a bit today about what's happening now. While this guy was happy with the results McClain produced, he was under the impression he was the wrong guy for the changes CU is trying to make in the athletic culture.

He didn't get into too many details, but I did find it interesting...

Woelk brought up an interesting name: Jay Humphries. He is head coach of Reno in the NBA D League.

I'd say ...

1st - Steve McClain
2nd- Mike Dunlap
3rd- Randy Bennett
4th- Tad Boyle
5th- Rick Majerus or Billie Gillispie

A couple of Dark Horses for ya ....
1- Scott Sutton (Oral Roberts)
2- Dave Boots (Univ. of South Dakota)
3- Brian Gregory (Dayton)

Why not give Gaudio a call to see if he's interested? That would be quite the ironic twist. Granted, he has no ties out west or to the Big 12 but one of head-scratchers for the Wake fans and media is why someone with a 61-31 record and 2 NCAA appearances in 3 years was fired.

FWIW, one of the morning sports talk guys here was at Wyo doing sports when McClain was the coach there (also a Wyo grad). He is, to put it mildly, NOT a fan.
While this guy was happy with the results McClain produced, he was under the impression he was the wrong guy for the changes CU is trying to make in the athletic culture.

Well I've watched him closely and it appears that he's fine to me. He's excitable, exuberant, and -frankly- I felt this team played it's best ball in Maui, with him coaching. There seemed to be a more relaxed, fun environment. It was/is almost too politicized with Bzdelik in there.

There is no doubt that Bzdelik is a fantastic coach, a great X's & O's guy, the LEADER and a nice guy in general ... but McClain looks (IMO) to be more of the coll. coach here.

Plus, with the recent hiring of Abatemarco (who is a hardline, professional, X's & O's type of ass't coach), you've got more of the same but just w/McClain now in the driver's seat.

It will/would work. Besides, continuity is the most important piece at this time.

If anything, at least for the near future to keep the current team together and see how things work out.

He's been under Bz's direct tutelage and already has a great feel/understanding for the system & CULTURE in place ... he's been part of it.

The last thing you want to do is push the envelope and run any risk of losing Higgins, Burks, Sharpe, or anyone else. The foundation is still too fragile. You hire the wrong guy, and suddenly Burks and Sharpe go somewhere else, where does that leave you? Back to square one and another 3 years (maybe less) before you're staring a great opportunity in the face, like they've got right now.

Plus, what about the potential recruits (like Majok or Marc-Michel), two quality BIGS that McClain can likely get in here to play and has already been working on??

Last edited:
I wonder how Abatemarco feels about taking a job weeks before his boss bails.

What if Bzdelik hired Abatemarco with the intent of leaving, for the NBA or another coll. team, in mind?

I'm not so sure that Bzdelik just fell into this whole WF gig. I trust that w/good friends involved, a daughter (fam), that they had (Bz & Wellman) likely already toyed around with the idea, probably within the last couple of weeks, maybe even sooner.

Last edited:
100% agree....its too early to start over 100% with a new staff....get 1 guy in here that can be a fire plug recruiter and get the talent here to win consistently...that is the key

Back