What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nick Saban is retiring from coaching

With Arch following him to Tuscaloosa (or going anywhere else, TBH). I'm here for the drama and this would ensure it. But **** Oregon, so I also want Bama to take Lanning.
From my Arkansas fandom…I respectfully request no.

In every episode:

saban-nick-saban.gif

The thing that gets me about him is that it's not like he lit the world on fire with his coaching genius from day one.

He was stellar his one season at Toledo.

His record was mostly mediocre at MSU, got the "breakout" in year 5, and parleyed that into a payday at LSU.

Where he succeeded.

Then he failed in Miami.

Then, finally at 56 years old, started the job where he became a legend in Tuscaloosa.

I respect the work he put in to get to the top and stay at the top.

When I reach 56, I'm not going to try and build a legacy at a new job.

Bets on how long Alabama has to wander in the desert.

CU after Mac
UW after James
USC after Carrol
ND after Holtz
Mich after Schembechler
Bama after Bryant

How many programs have replaced a legendary coach without spending some period of time being mediocre?

CU after Mac
UW after James
USC after Carrol
ND after Holtz
Mich after Schembechler
Bama after Bryant

How many programs have replaced a legendary coach without spending some period of time being mediocre?
Counterpoint: tOSU.

I threw up a little writing that, but they've seemed to have managed those transitions far better than other schools.

The thing that gets me about him is that it's not like he lit the world on fire with his coaching genius from day one.

His record was mostly mediocre at MSU, got the "breakout" in year 5, and parleyed that into a payday at LSU.

Where he succeeded.

Then he failed in Miami.

Then, finally at 56 years old, started the job where he became a legend in Tuscaloosa.

Like literally any other coach, he won big when he started getting the best recruiting classes.

Notre Dame
Knute Rockne to Frank Leahy was 11 years. Leahy to Ara Parseghian was 11 years. Parseghian to Dan Devine was one year. Devine to Lou Holtz was six years.

USC
Howard Jones to John McKay was 20 years. McKay to Pete Carroll was 26 years.

Oklahoma
Bud Wilkinson to Barry Switzer was 10 years. Switzer to Bob Stoops was 11 years.

Miami
Howard Schnellenberger to Jimmy Johnson was one year. Johnson to Dennis Erickson was one year.

CU after Mac
UW after James
USC after Carrol
ND after Holtz
Mich after Schembechler
Bama after Bryant

OU went from Stoops to Riley and have now replaced Riley with Venables. No years of mediocrity with Riley and only one under Venables during the transition year after losing Caleb. Granted, Riley was being groomed for a while to take over.

Counterpoint: tOSU.

I threw up a little writing that, but they've seemed to have managed those transitions far better than other schools.
Good callout. Drop off from Hayes but not as low to Tressel and Meyer.

OU went from Stoops to Riley and have now replaced Riley with Venables. No years of mediocrity with Riley and only one under Venables during the transition year after losing Caleb. Granted, Riley was being groomed for a while to take over.
I was thinking about the OU years after Switzer. We’ll see if they’re wandering the desert now

Where he succeeded.

Then he failed in Miami.

Like literally any other coach, he won big when he started getting the best recruiting classes.

Back