What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nick Saban is retiring from coaching

Notre Dame
Knute Rockne to Frank Leahy was 11 years. Leahy to Ara Parseghian was 11 years. Parseghian to Dan Devine was one year. Devine to Lou Holtz was six years.

USC
Howard Jones to John McKay was 20 years. McKay to Pete Carroll was 26 years.

Oklahoma
Bud Wilkinson to Barry Switzer was 10 years. Switzer to Bob Stoops was 11 years.

Miami
Howard Schnellenberger to Jimmy Johnson was one year. Johnson to Dennis Erickson was one year.
Great list. Miami was a machine.

How about Ohio State?

Woody Hayes to Earl Bruce: 1 year
Bruce to Jim Tressel: 14 years
Tressel to Urban Meyer: 2 years

The 13 years after Bruce was John Cooper, who was a fine coach but not legendary. We don't know about Ryan Day yet.

OU went from Stoops to Riley and have now replaced Riley with Venables. No years of mediocrity with Riley and only one under Venables during the transition year after losing Caleb. Granted, Riley was being groomed for a while to take over.
OU currently has substantially lower standards then Bama. Following the departure of Stoops, they were happy to remain competitive when Riley was there, but his teams were always shaky on the big stage (no defense). Venables really still has to establish himself…we’ll see where he takes it. And this was in the Big 12. OU is hoping to not get murdered in a conference that Saban has dominated in such unusual fashion, and has in turn, established an unrealistic expectation among its fan base. Problem is that Saban was Bama

I see Bama going the way of kNU following Osborne to be more likely then Bama going the way of Miami in the 80’s

Not saying it will happen but there is a ton to of desire in the Duck crowd for them to go after Prime. Do not think he will leave right now but you never know

CP ain't leaving his kids to go to ****ing oregon.

he builds legacies; he doesn't inherit them.

Coach might move on some day but it won't be to oregon this year to replace that rat face lanning.

god bless HCNS for causing all this chaos. we are going to do very well as the smoke clears.

CP just doesn't make a lot of sense for a blue blood. He hasn't won anything yet. Prime makes sense for a big program on a downward spiral who needs a jolt.

If he had won 10 games this past year then things would be way different

we got this. CP ain't leaving now.

**** the haters. we gonna win.

saw a great stat-- every player who played for saban for 4 years won at least one national championship.

dude was nails.

we are the benefactors of this chaos not the victims.

CP is here.

I see Bama going the way of kNU following Osborne to be more likely then Bama going the way of Miami in the 80’s

Alabama as a program will be just fine in the grand scheme of things, however not neccessarily compared to their expectations. This is a different world than the 80s and 90s and Alabama as a program has far too many things going for it for it to fall off like Nebraska did after Osborne or more specifically the last ~20 years. NIL, the portal and the playoff will and has irrevokably cemented the status of some programs that will make them largely untouchable.

Alabama as a program will be just fine in the grand scheme of things, however not neccessarily compared to their expectations. This is a different world than the 80s and 90s and Alabama as a program has far too many things going for it for it to fall off like Nebraska did after Osborne or more specifically the last ~20 years. NIL, the portal and the playoff will and has irrevokably cemented the status of some programs that will make them largely untouchable.
Yeah, I said more likely to go that route vs a string of coaches that win NC’s.

Specifically, I see the Bama base being continuously frustrated with coaches that win 10 games, and then fire them for only winning 9 (i.e. Solich & Pelini on steroids)…Spinning their wheels with unrealistic expectations of domination in a conference that is going to be even more competitive starting next year. It’s hard to be perfect, and to be in the NC hunt even in years that you’re not perfect. Saban was a witch in doing this for ~15 years, but that is now Bama’s expectation.

I think I legitimately want to see this.
Then when he sees the NIL and money coffers of said school:
College Football Championship GIF by ESPN

Yeah, I said more likely to go that route vs a string of coaches that win NC’s.

Specifically, I see the Bama base being continuously frustrated with coaches that win 10 games, and then fire them for only winning 9 (i.e. Solich & Pelini on steroids)…Spinning their wheels with unrealistic expectations of domination in a conference that is going to be even more competitive starting next year. It’s hard to be perfect, and to be in the NC hunt even in years that you’re not perfect. Saban was a witch in doing this for ~15 years, but that is now Bama’s expectation.

Yep, but the 12 team playoff will keep giving teams like Alabama more second chances to rectify missteps earlier in the season.

Part of the appeal college football had was the brutal nature that you literally had to be perfect to have a chance and even then you could be SOL (Auburn and FSU), but the expanded playoff will see some 2 loss SEC get in. And once you're in it's a new ballgame.

This point obviously is only somewhat related to this discussion, of course.

Yep, but the 12 team playoff will keep giving teams like Alabama more second chances to rectify missteps earlier in the season.

Part of the appeal college football had was the brutal nature that you literally had to be perfect to have a chance and even then you could be SOL (Auburn and FSU), but the expanded playoff will see some 2 loss SEC get in. And once you're in it's a new ballgame.

This point obviously is only somewhat related to this discussion, of course.
😕

Back