What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nick Saban is retiring from coaching

So Im gonna say that Ive become a casual UW fan because my daughter goes to school there and Ive already experienced numerous games with her. Watching UW have a resurgence from mediocrity was nice. And oh by the way they went to the MFNC game. Kalen DeBoer was an incredible feel good story that made it really easy for you to feel good about them and about college football.

And then the money wiped that out.

I would take the money too. We probably all would. But it has a negative effect

So Im gonna say that Ive become a casual UW fan because my daughter goes to school there and Ive already experienced numerous games with her. Watching UW have a resurgence from mediocrity was nice. And oh by the way they went to the MFNC game. Kalen DeBoer was an incredible feel good story that made it really easy for you to feel good about them and about college football.

It's sort of always been this way with coaches though, or at least for 30+ years right?

It's sort of always been this way with coaches though, or at least for 30+ years right?
For sure. But that doesnt make it feel right. The DeBoer story was certainly part of my buy in. You cant be that Alabama like program (Woody Hayes?) if Alabama hires your coach. The older eras didnt have the financial inequality challenges that now exist. A lot of us are fans because you cant be completely sure who will emerge as the surprise winner. Thats the fun of it.

People are linking Neuheisel hate in this thread. LOL. But let me remind you that after most of McCartneys players were gone Neuheisel went 5-6 (3-5) and 8-4 (4-4). There were a lot of people happy to see him go.

For sure. But that doesnt make it feel right. The DeBoer story was certainly part of my buy in. You cant be that Alabama like program (Woody Hayes?) if Alabama hires your coach. The older eras didnt have the financial inequality challenges that now exist. A lot of us are fans because you cant be completely sure who will emerge as the surprise winner. Thats the fun of it.

People are linking Neuheisel hate in this thread. LOL. But let me remind you that after most of McCartneys players were gone Neuheisel went 5-6 (3-5) and 8-4 (4-4). There were a lot of people happy to see him go.
Lol, I remember a bit on channel 4 showing Neuheisel playing a guitar and playing him up as some new age California hippie, a lot of people soured on him so fast.

I'm holding out hope that the transfer portal and NIL have some effects that favor parity. I think the crop of Pac 12 QBs this past season showed that possibility.

I also think the 12 team playoff will definitely broaden the pool of surprise winners.

Last edited:

Wait. Are you saying DeBoer took the Bama job for the money?

Bama is inarguably a top three job in the sport.
You and I might agree on that because were old enough to know. Im not sure a 16 or 17 year old knows and or cares. I think those kids see Saban in their living room and that resonates more than the history. NU history comes to mind

Even before the changes in the sport in the past decade or so coaches still left for better jobs. Kalen DeBoer had a good job at Washington, but not one of the best in the entire sport as the Alabama position is. Money is only part of the equation of why coaches move on and the resources, expectations, and challenges of coaching at that particular program play just as much of a role in that decision. There are outliers for coaches who stay at programs for the long term and build something however they are rare and people tend to overestimate them due to survivorship bias.

Lol, I remember a bit on channel 4 showing Neuheisel playing a guitar and playing him up as some new age California hippie, a lot of people soured on him so fast.

I'm holding out hope that the transfer portal and NIL have some effects that favor parity. I think the crop of Pac 12 QBs this past season showed that possibility.

I also think the 12 team playoff will definitely broaden the pool of surprise winners.
Husker fan here, but I come on peace. I registered on this forum just to share this story.

I had just moved to Boulder from Dallas in 1997, and I attended the coaches radio show the week before the NU-CU game in Husker gear. He played guitar and sang during the radio breaks, which I would have found more entertaining had he not guilted me and 1 or 2 other fans in attendance to come up and sing with him. I am not a singer at all, and it was embarrassing AF. But somehow it was a cool and memorable moment. I kind of liked him after that.

Husker fan here, but I come on peace. I registered on this forum just to share this story.

I had just moved to Boulder from Dallas in 1997, and I attended the coaches radio show the week before the NU-CU game in Husker gear. He played guitar and sang during the radio breaks, which I would have found more entertaining had he not guilted me and 1 or 2 other fans in attendance to come up and sing with him. I am not a singer at all, and it was embarrassing AF. But somehow it was a cool and memorable moment. I kind of liked him after that.

What was the song?

Is Peace the name of the toothless Lincoln lot lizard?

You were a Neuheisel fan? That's amazing! Myself, I'm a huge Mike Riley fan.

I have no sympathy for the Washington Fans, they were totally insufferable when they poached Neuheisel away. Their message boards were horrible to CU. Miami seems to not remember the context of the RN departure. He set up recruiting to have a big final weekend where all of the recruits would be in town together - Neuheisel scooted out the door at the Saturday night dinner and all the recruits were WTF is going on. Totally destroyed the recruiting class. I was not sad to see him go but the way he did it really pissed me and other fans off.

I have no sympathy for the Washington Fans, they were totally insufferable when they poached Neuheisel away. Their message boards were horrible to CU. Miami seems to not remember the context of the RN departure. He set up recruiting to have a big final weekend where all of the recruits would be in town together - Neuheisel scooted out the door at the Saturday night dinner and all the recruits were WTF is going on. Totally destroyed the recruiting class. I was not sad to see him go but the way he did it really pissed me and other fans off.
The internet existed back then?

Back