What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NIL act passed - NCAA allows athletes to monetise their name, image, likeness

What I don't get about this is where was the NCAA when NIL took off last year? They just sat back and watched
They ditched the efforts of their two-year committee of which RG was part. The Alston decision, and especially the Kavanaugh concurrence, spooked them. Rightfully so. Thus they issued the interim guidance right before State laws went into effect. That guidance was further expanded upon (not really) this week.

“Specifically, the guidance defines as a booster any third-party entity that promotes an athletics program, assists with recruiting or assists with providing benefits to recruits, enrolled student-athletes or their family members. The definition could include "collectives" set up to funnel name, image and likeness deals to prospective student-athletes or enrolled student-athletes who might be considering transferring. NCAA recruiting rules preclude boosters from recruiting and/or providing benefits to prospective student-athletes.

The guidance is effective immediately. For violations that occurred prior to May 9, 2022, the board directed the enforcement staff to review the facts of individual cases but to pursue only those actions that clearly are contrary to the published interim policy, including the most severe violations of recruiting rules or payment for athletics performance.”

Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal

****ing seriously? Good luck.
The NCAA (probably): Texas? Texas A&M? Never heard of ‘em.

I’d complain about the nail in the college football coffin, but I’m pretty sure there’s some mother****er with a nail gun going to town on that bastard. There’s been like 150 nails in the coffin. How many more are needed?

Sure. They'll have parity among their 32 team NFL-style league with profit and rev share, salary cap, etc. just not across the rest of the current P5
You think the top 10 who dominate college football are willing to go that far? 32 teams with a realistic shot at winning a title would be a giant step forward compared to what we have now

You think the top 10 who dominate college football are willing to go that far? 32 teams with a realistic shot at winning a title would be a giant step forward compared to what we have now
I think in the NFL, there are only 8-10 teams in a given year that have a legitimate chance at winning a SB, which is probably on par with what a 32 team super conference in CFB would eventually have. Would definitely be a big step up from the current 3-4 legitimate contenders, but it would become a regional sport.

Schools would establish a degree completion fund for each athlete, and the contents of the fund — fed annually — would be made available soon after degree completion (within six years). If the athlete does not graduate within six years, he or she will forfeit the fund and it will go back into the athletic budget. Players would have immediate access to a maximum of $25,000 each year, while the rest would build over time.
The wording states that if an athlete transfers to another California institution, the degree completion fund will transfer after enrollment and be managed and funded by the new school.

If an athlete transfers to an institution out of state, the degree completion fund is forfeited.

Last edited:
I think in the NFL, there are only 8-10 teams in a given year that have a legitimate chance at winning a SB, which is probably on par with what a 32 team super conference in CFB would eventually have. Would definitely be a big step up from the current 3-4 legitimate contenders, but it would become a regional sport.
It'll be interesting if the current powers (Bama, Georgia, tOSU, etc) are willing to give up something to allow more parity. Not sure they have any incentive to right now.

What is CU’s current rank in the CFB stratosphere? 65 or so? Too bad they can’t use historical rankings. Likely in the top 32.

I think the only argument you could make in favour of CFB is that you don’t absolutely need a top tier QB to compete like you do in the NFL and that even if you do have one the dynamics of the game mean you won’t have him for more than two to three years max unlike in the NFL where you’re set for a decade plus.

But on the flip side you have a handful of teams gobbling up all the elite talent elsewhere.

Nick Saban praising CFB for having parity 🙃

"One of the things I like to see us be able to work back to ... parity"

I cant blame him or anyone for capitalizing on the current system. Bravo to him for saying it and he's right.

Attendance is dropping. Interest is waning. The rest of the country is becoming apathetic.

The pattern of where the best is should be NO surprise to anyone. Does this become a regional sport?

2021GeorgiaCFP
2020AlabamaCFP
2019LSUCFP
2018ClemsonCFP
2017AlabamaCFP
2016ClemsonCFP
2015AlabamaCFP
2014Ohio StateCFP
2013Florida StateBCS
2012AlabamaBCS
2011AlabamaBCS
2010AuburnBCS
2009AlabamaBCS
2008FloridaBCS
2007LSUBCS
2006FloridaBCS
2005TexasBCS
2004Southern CaliforniaBCS

I cant blame him or anyone for capitalizing on the current system. Bravo to him for saying it and he's right.

Attendance is dropping. Interest is waning. The rest of the country is becoming apathetic.

The pattern of where the best is should be NO surprise to anyone. Does this become a regional sport?

2021GeorgiaCFP
2020AlabamaCFP
2019LSUCFP
2018ClemsonCFP
2017AlabamaCFP
2016ClemsonCFP
2015AlabamaCFP
2014Ohio StateCFP
2013Florida StateBCS
2012AlabamaBCS
2011AlabamaBCS
2010AuburnBCS
2009AlabamaBCS
2008FloridaBCS
2007LSUBCS
2006FloridaBCS
2005TexasBCS
Jeebus. I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize it was THAT bad.

I guess that's what happens when CU has only been to 1 bowl game for the last 14 of those years...

Jeebus. I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize it was THAT bad.

I guess that's what happens when CU has only been to 1 bowl game for the last 14 of those years...
I pasted that in and then laughed out loud.

Then was like `WOW thats really bad'. All the school that won it all in almost 20 years were from the south except two. That seems like almost all the nails are already in the coffin.

Then I Went back and scanned the list again and looked further back.

2003LSU, Southern CaliforniaBCS, AP, FWAA
2002Ohio StateBCS
2001Miami (Fla.)BCS
2000OklahomaBCS
1999Florida StateBCS
1998TennesseeBCS
1997Michigan, NebraskaAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/ESPN
1996FloridaAP, FWAA, NFF,USA/CNN
1995NebraskaAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1994NebraskaAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1993Florida St.AP, FWAA,NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1992AlabamaAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1991Washington, Miami (Fla.)FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI,AP
1990Colorado, Georgia TechFWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, AP, UPI
1989Miami (Fla.)AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1988Notre DameAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1987Miami (Fla.)AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1986Penn StateAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1985OklahomaAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1984Brigham YoungAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1983Miami (Fla.)AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1982Penn StateAP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

This,

How many teams have made the CFP since they went to 4 teams, of those teams how many have been there mulitple times?

The 32 possible openings for participants have given us a grand total of 14 teams that have made it (8 years X 4 teams qualifying.)

Of those teams 6 made a single appearance meaning that the other 8 teams have filled 26 of the slots.

You can pick 32 teams that want to play "big time" football but realistically how many of those have a real chance to make the playoff in the next few years? Not many.

College football is regionally successful, but still very marketable as a TV product nationally. Compared to other sports, it is the most fun American sport to bet. The current setup will work as we transition to the AAA NFL league.

2021GeorgiaCFP
2020AlabamaCFP
2019LSUCFP
2018ClemsonCFP
2017AlabamaCFP
2016ClemsonCFP
2015AlabamaCFP
2014Ohio StateCFP
2013Florida StateBCS
2012AlabamaBCS
2011AlabamaBCS
2010AuburnBCS
2009AlabamaBCS
2008FloridaBCS
2007LSUBCS
2006FloridaBCS
2005TexasBCS
Phew, thank goodness for the CFP. I was one of those clamoring that it would make college football LESS interesting.
1652873661816.jpeg

Back