What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NIL act passed - NCAA allows athletes to monetise their name, image, likeness

I'm also curious about this. I was in favor of giving college athletes a piece of the pie, but I have to ask, those of of you who were very outspoken about getting players compensated, is this what you wanted?
I was outspoken against it. So there’s that.

Reactions: DBT
I'm also curious about this. I was in favor of giving college athletes a piece of the pie, but I have to ask, those of of you who were very outspoken about getting players compensated, is this what you wanted?
What we have now is a cluster ****. This happened because there is no central governing body to level the playing field around TV contracts, revenue sharing, and paying players. The body we had, the NCAA, did make some rules around how the game is played. But their resistence to some things allowed monied forces to get united against them and then the legal system caught up with them.

All of this is the result of money. TV brought giant paydays to the conferences. Coffers exploded. Seasons grew beyond the 11 game norm. Ridiculous facilities were built. Coaches pay ballooned. Money was flying around everywhere. Sponsors started sowing up. Things started to look a lot more like a pro sport and less like an amateur affair. Except for the players compensation.

The Presidents (the run the NCAA) failure to see this, to anticipate the court outcome, and failure to act by creating a system of pay is on them.

Last edited:
I think fans' reaction to the NIL situation parallels that of the CFP really close -- fans wanted players compensated and fans wanted a playoff tournament.

Most fans didn't anticipate the consequences of either. I'll admit that even as the most outspoken opponent of the playoffs going back to when I first joined the board (2013), even I didn't think it would lead to such a separation between the haves and have nots as drastic or as quickly as it turned out.

the NIL issue has another component though in that nobody was advocating for a totally unregulated player compensation system like we have now.
I wanted to see a playoff. I was tired of the unresolved co championship and that players didnt meet on the field. The media voters who became king makers fawning over the same team year after year just because. Those guys committed plenty of gaffs by annointing one loss, even a two loss team, Champions. Meanwhile there were a few other teams out there that were undefeated and *might* have been better. But we’ll never know because they never met head to head.

I wanted to see a playoff. I was tired of the unresolved co championship and that players didnt meet on the field. The media voters who became king makers fawning over the same team year after year just because. Those guys committed plenty of gaffs by annointing one loss, even a two loss team, Champions. Meanwhile there were a few other teams out there that were undefeated and *might* have been better. But we’ll never know because they never met head to head.
And yet, in the first year of the playoff...the best team didn't even get in (TCU).

I was outspoken against it. So there’s that.
I was as well. The only athletes that benefit, with a few exceptions, are star football and men’s basketball players. Those two programs fund all of the negative revenue sports. Though payments to players don’t come directly from AD funds, I am pretty sure that AD revenue is going to drop for most programs and non revenue sports will suffer as a result. Greed sucks.

I was as well. The only athletes that benefit, with a few exceptions, are star football and men’s basketball players. Those two programs fund all of the negative revenue sports. Though payments to players don’t come directly from AD funds, I am pretty sure that AD revenue is going to drop for most programs and non revenue sports will suffer as a result. Greed sucks.
Aren’t you a pro-capitalism guy?

In fairness this varies a lot by school. E.g. at BYU, every player is getting a small paycheck and even walk ons have an NIL deal that covers tuition

Pretty funny, SEC fans don’t even like how this NIL/expansion stuff is playing out.*

*maybe because their teams did it anyway and they were oblivious to it/only wanted their teams to do it. But most of these folks genuinely don’t like it.

Pretty funny, SEC fans don’t even like how this NIL/expansion stuff is playing out.*

*maybe because their teams did it anyway and they were oblivious to it/only wanted their teams to do it. But most of these folks genuinely don’t like it.
For a lot of them, increased SEC revenue has not made it so their team won any more than before. Meanwhile they lost the frequency of rivalry games with traditional SEC members while making travel difficult for many conference games. Now with NIL, they are seeing the disparity between the resources of the top SEC programs separate further than ever before, reducing hope that they can ever have a magical season to win a conference title. Worst of all, it appears that Texas A&M and Texas are the top SEC dogs in this new NIL reality.

For a lot of them, increased SEC revenue has not made it so their team won any more than before. Meanwhile they lost the frequency of rivalry games with traditional SEC members while making travel difficult for many conference games. Now with NIL, they are seeing the disparity between the resources of the top SEC programs separate further than ever before, reducing hope that they can ever have a magical season to win a conference title. Worst of all, it appears that Texas A&M and Texas are the top SEC dogs in this new NIL reality.

I've seen quite a bit of talk about a 3-6-6 model which means they'd play every team twice every 4 years which is much better then some teams going like 8 years without meeting under the current format.

And yea Texas and and A&M have the most money and richest fanbases so they will probably beneift the most from NIL.

Original poster was an Alabama fan.

They're pissed about the loss of regionality while seeing its dominant position erode.
When my friend played at Bama, I believe it was a Shula son he played for, Mike maybe? They were pretty bad. I went down to Andrews for my aunt's funeral, very sudden type deal. That night, we went to Uncle J's and were just drinking, catching up a bit. Thing was, when me and my x wife got there, it was like another funeral. I just looked at everybody and said, "what's wrong?" They just pointed at the tv screen, Alabama got beat by ****ing Hawaii. I just shook my head, that was a ****ing long ass day.

When my friend played at Bama, I believe it was a Shula son he played for, Mike maybe? They were pretty bad. I went down to Andrews for my aunt's funeral, very sudden type deal. That night, we went to Uncle J's and were just drinking, catching up a bit. Thing was, when me and my x wife got there, it was like another funeral. I just looked at everybody and said, "what's wrong?" They just pointed at the tv screen, Alabama got beat by ****ing Hawaii. I just shook my head, that was a ****ing long ass day.
My grandfather graduated from Alabama and knew Bear Bryant when Bear was a student. That football program was religion.

I've been critical of Rick's (and by extension CU's) stance on NIL collectives given the recruiting success places like USC, Miami, and Louisville are having in both the HS and transfer market, but this story is an indicator that some caution is warranted. It will be interesting to see how this plays out if it becomes a common problem, particularly for player who used up their one time transfer for the promise of a big NIL payment that fails to materialize.

Wait. Athletes are being taken advantage of by greedy assholes? Nobody could have ever predicted that. I mean, wow.
I figured it would be like the music industry- street agent talent scouts signing people who don't know any better to contracts that own an egregious percentage of their lifetime work for a small investment that looks like huge money to the victim. But I at least expected them to get paid while getting ripped off.

If Addison is getting the shade, I can’t imagine B.Rice and Blackmon getting theirs at the moment…Ope!

This is an intriguing idea.

Coaches have bonuses built into their contracts for bowl wins.

Hell, most of my support for stipends & NIL type stuff is that it's bullish!t that coaches get huge financial incentives for things the players get nothing extra for and it has resulted in players being treated like indentured servants with no rights or leverage.

I love any plan that corrects that dynamic I've never liked while also driving competitiveness. Bowls have turned into meaningless exhibition games for players - nothing but a vacation trip & a gift bag.

Yep, didn't total it up but looks like outside of the CFP games, bonuses far more common for bowl appearance than win.

Also interesting that it seems most (all?) the coaches with bowl win incentives are not from P5 schools, which might help explain why we see a disproportionate number of G5 wins over P5 schools in bowls

Back