What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NIL act passed - NCAA allows athletes to monetise their name, image, likeness

How many milliseconds will it take for that law to be changed? 😜

Sweet mullet.
I think the next thing to be overturned is the age restriction on entering the NFL. If a high school student can be paid (I.e., a professional), how can you restrict him from earning money in the highest-paying professional opportunity? Same goes for the NBA and other leagues.

Comes down to whether union deals hold up as not being restraint of trade and, in the case of the NFL, whether its argument about safety holds any water (but they have a very friendly circuit court).

then it's a pretty bad headline, I guess. "No. 1 overall recruit Quinn Ewers tells @yahoosports he’s “leaning” toward skipping senior HS year and attending Ohio State."
Basically if you have a monetary value to tOSU the rules are different than they would be for Joe student. First it was easy admissions. Then classes taught in the AD. Now you dont even have to finish high school??? 🤣🤣🤣

Not that I want to defend this type of ridiculousness, but the article clearly states he will complete his high school diploma - he only needs one English class that he will take online (not unheard of in this Covid environment). Lots of kids graduate early (at the end of the first semester)…which essentially what he’s doing, but only needs one credit, to do so and will do it over the summer before.
Click bait n

for anyone else with the same questions that Spiff and I had:

Ewers is in a position academically where he could take one core English class online, graduate from high school early, and enroll and be eligible at Ohio State for the 2021 season. The family expects that course to be completed in time for him to take part in preseason camp, which begins Aug. 3.

hard to fault the guy if he graduates HS a year early and starts college at that point.

hard to fault the guy if he graduates HS a year early and starts college at that point.
As someone who started college when I was closer to 16 than I was to 18, there will be some negative consequences of that decision that aren't obvious.

Is 7 figures in cash enough to outweigh those? Maybe. If I had it to do over, I would have stayed in HS and completed CC courses rather than choose the path I did. Would I have chosen the same path I did except with $500,000*?

I don't know - it's a really hard call.

Of course, 17 year old me wouldn't have given it a second thought.

*that's what today's $1MM would have been then.

As someone who started college when I was closer to 16 than I was to 18, there will be some negative consequences of that decision that aren't obvious.

Is 7 figures in cash enough to outweigh those? Maybe. If I had it to do over, I would have stayed in HS and completed CC courses rather than choose the path I did. Would I have chosen the same path I did except with $500,000*?

I don't know - it's a really hard call.

Of course, 17 year old me wouldn't have given it a second thought.

*that's what today's $1MM would have been then.
Going to college at the age I did is what saved me from being a zealot for Private Jet Jesus and reactionary politics. Less lucrative, but life changing in a good way.

And this is a big example of why the NIL Act is a great thing for college athletes.

“As of Thursday, 22 Olympians with remaining NCAA eligibility have earned a combined total of $712,500 through the USOPC and not counting the awards from the national governing bodies. Gymnast Suni Lee and swimmer Bobby Finke lead that pack with $75,000 each.”

$250,000 win for Gable Stevenson and still can wrestle in college.

Local restaurant chains here are running ads with Wichita State athletes. One features 3 women wearing armbands with numbers. I can't figure out what sport they play (softball maybe). Ad is pretty pointless, it doesn't make me say I am going to go eat at that place. Maybe it is the quasi small-town attitude Wichita has, definitely don't see that happening in Denver or any other big city.

And this is a big example of why the NIL Act is a great thing for college athletes.

“As of Thursday, 22 Olympians with remaining NCAA eligibility have earned a combined total of $712,500 through the USOPC and not counting the awards from the national governing bodies. Gymnast Suni Lee and swimmer Bobby Finke lead that pack with $75,000 each.”

$250,000 win for Gable Stevenson and still can wrestle in college.

Yup. I think this will potentially have the biggest impact for Olympic athletes. Suni Lee is a great example. She can go to college, get paid, and maybe even go back to the Olympics again in 2024. Meanwhile, Auburn gets the positive publicity that comes from having an Olympic Gold Medal winner on their team. Total win/win for everybody involved. Maybe even Simone Biles decides to go to college now. Why not? What college gymnastics program wouldn’t want her on its team?

What this really shows you is that marketing teams have way too much money to just throw around for no reason lol

Surprised that this hasn't been posted here by now. First time a court ruled that college athletes could be employees.

Looks like some Gator fan set up a subscription business that pays Florida players: https://www.thegatorcollective.com/

Interesting application of NIL that could give their team a recruiting advantage if it's successful. They've said the majority of funds go to the players, but they'd need to be very transparent for me to trust that if I were a Florida fan.

Looks like some Gator fan set up a subscription business that pays Florida players: https://www.thegatorcollective.com/

Interesting application of NIL that could give their team a recruiting advantage if it's successful. They've said the majority of funds go to the players, but they'd need to be very transparent for me to trust that if I were a Florida fan.
You're missing a key ingredient: Florida Man.

Transparency in this case is definitely not needed.

It won't just be the NBA anymore.
slow clap GIF

I still don’t understand what the big deal is about NIL. Why are old adults scared of young adults making money?
I don't think that's the concern. Most everyone on this board supported compensation for athletes in some form.

The concern i see expressed is that this will lead to a further decrease in parity in college sports.

E.g.

Alabama gets 12/13 games in a prime national TV slot -- corporate sponsors are going to favor those players.

Oregon's #1 booster is chairman emeritus of the company most interested in sponsorship of athletes.

I don't think that's the concern. Most everyone on this board supported compensation for athletes on some form.

The concern i see expressed is that this will lead to a further decrease in parity in college sports.

E.g.

Alabama gets 12/13 games in a prime slot -- corporate sponsors are going to favor those players.

Oregon's #1 booster is CEO of the company most interested in sponsorship of athletes.
I see that side of it. But isn’t that capitalism?

I still don’t understand what the big deal is about NIL. Why are old adults scared of young adults making money?
No misunderstanding about NIL...old adults have spent their entire life setting their children up to succeed in their youth and further.

I see that side of it. But isn’t that capitalism?
Arguably yes. But assuming an economist agrees, it's unregulated capitalism -- without any mechanics to enforce a semblance of parity (e.g. pro league salary caps).

Arguably yes. But assuming an economist agrees, it's unregulated capitalism -- without any mechanics to enforce a semblance of parity (e.g. pro league salary caps).
No salary cap is needed as the student-athletes aren’t getting paid by the schools. Once they’re employees of the universities, then I’ll listen to the argument for regulations.

Back