What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Not Happy With Keeping Sefo In The Game

Wasn't thrilled at all with Sefo remaining in there for the 2nd half, but I have a hard time appreciating how some made it worse for Sefo after the game. And I have an even harder time understanding it because of how obvious it is that Sefo is very self-aware of his own shortcomings and mistakes (he said exactly that on nat'l TV after the Utah game, and plenty of other times too). Yes, he played a pretty ****ty 2nd half (as in, really quite ****ty), but he knows it. And he isn't going to make the excuse for which the fans should be giving him a bit more slack-->the injury to his lower leg more than likely contributed in some part to his 2nd half play. "I've already had tons of direct messages from people hating on me and my team," Liufau said. http://www.buffzone.com/football-cubuffs/ci_30628415/cu-buffs-sefo-liufau-frustrated-his-play-loss. Honestly, hearing that he was the primary object of the post-game beatdown pissed me off more than how we lost.
You say you ****ing love the Buffs? Save that **** for the Nubs.

Wasn't thrilled at all with Sefo remaining in there for the 2nd half, but I have a hard time appreciating how some made it worse for Sefo after the game. And I have an even harder time understanding it because of how obvious it is that Sefo is very self-aware of his own shortcomings and mistakes (he said exactly that on nat'l TV after the Utah game, and plenty of other times too). Yes, he played a pretty ****ty 2nd half (as in, really quite ****ty), but he knows it. And he isn't going to make the excuse for which the fans should be giving him a bit more slack-->the injury to his lower leg more than likely contributed in some part to his 2nd half play. "I've already had tons of direct messages from people hating on me and my team," Liufau said. http://www.buffzone.com/football-cubuffs/ci_30628415/cu-buffs-sefo-liufau-frustrated-his-play-loss. Honestly, hearing that he was the primary object of the post-game beatdown pissed me off more than how we lost.
You say you ****ing love the Buffs? Save that **** for the Nubs.

I would never tweet something like that and would never condone anyone doing so. That's crap.

But this is also going to happen at this level of competition and it goes on to varying degrees at every program in the FBS. I would guess that CU is one of the more mild and understanding fanbases in the P5. Not the first time I've heard this story in regard to Sefo and as much as I love the guy, one thing I would criticize him for is being a little thin-skinned when it comes to hearing criticism beyond what he puts on himself.

Why should he get slack for playing hurt? That is the whole debate in this thread.

"It's not really a valid excuse, but it kinda is..."

I am surprised that some in this thread are questioning anything about Montez's game. When he was put in any situation other than a total loser (i.e. coming in cold on short/no notice against strong defenses) he has been outstanding. Any of the criticisms about mental game, etc., are no more valid of him than any freshman QB, including highly touted ones who start the whole year.

C'mon...Sefo is only playing one more game. MM said that the bowl practice reps would go to the younger ones including Montez & Noyer. Hopefully next year's defensive starters will get a lot of practice.

I have not read this thread, other than the title. I was hoping Montez would start the second half. And I hoped that he was going in after the pic 6. I love Sefo, but the coaches should have given the ball to Montez. Hindsight is 20/20, bitches.

I would never tweet something like that and would never condone anyone doing so. That's crap.

But this is also going to happen at this level of competition and it goes on to varying degrees at every program in the FBS. I would guess that CU is one of the more mild and understanding fanbases in the P5. Not the first time I've heard this story in regard to Sefo and as much as I love the guy, one thing I would criticize him for is being a little thin-skinned when it comes to hearing criticism beyond what he puts on himself.
Did not see enough of Sefo to notice some thin skin in the face of hefty fan criticism, so your assessment seems fair enough IMO. My m.o. is to let the experts / coaching staff pick him apart (beat the **** out of the guy) where needed. So it still pisses me off, but I get that it is D1 football and that my m.o. doesn't have to be other people's m.o. Would prefer to maintain our asshole-ishness toward other teams and not our own, but I can concede that beyond my own preferences the situation may have warranted it.

Why should he get slack for playing hurt? That is the whole debate in this thread.

Would prefer to maintain our asshole-ishness toward other teams and not our own, but I can concede that beyond my own preferences the situation may have warranted it.

It's a trade off of experience vs being hurt, not an excuse. People forget Montez's INT that missed by toes, assuming he would have been better. Next they'll say Gerhke should have been in there. Success-oriented hindsight is always brilliant.

I disagree. His experience figured to compensate. It didn't work out, but not a bad decision.
true, not many qbs have the same level of experience with the pick six. I had a sinking feeling when sefo went back in. As much progress as he has made, he still is occasionally prone to a disastrous set of plays. Love his toughness and he can play lights out at times, the bad is still pretty damn bad.

It's a trade off of experience vs being hurt, not an excuse. People forget Montez's INT that missed by toes, assuming he would have been better. Next they'll say Gerhke should have been in there. Success-oriented hindsight is always brilliant.

There are reasonable arguments on both sides for what happened on Friday night. I am NOT assuming Montez would been better, but the question is fair.

Second guessing. Fans being fans. At the time Sefo went in, I was for it. So I'm not going to bitch about the results.

I am surprised that some in this thread are questioning anything about Montez's game. When he was put in any situation other than a total loser (i.e. coming in cold on short/no notice against strong defenses) he has been outstanding. Any of the criticisms about mental game, etc., are no more valid of him than any freshman QB, including highly touted ones who start the whole year.
Agree. Seems that some of us forgot how brilliant Montez was versus Oregon. Big time pressure situation and he made some great throws and runs.

And to add to the above I doubt Montez would have changed the ultimate outcome but it could not have been worse and it may have been better.
Well done

Last edited by a moderator:
Sefo staying in or not didn't affect the outcome. We lost because we couldn't run the ball and because we couldn't stop them from running the ball. Plain and simple. The person taking the snaps wouldn't have changed either of those two things.

Sefo staying in or not didn't affect the outcome. We lost because we couldn't run the ball and because we couldn't stop them from running the ball. Plain and simple. The person taking the snaps wouldn't have changed either of those two things.
Probably. But there is this strange thing callled momentum which can lead to odd outcomes. Say that instead of a pic 6 at the beginning of the 2nd half, Montez leads us to a score to tie it up. Who knows.

And to add to the above I doubt Montez would have changed the ultimate outcome but it could not have been worse and it may have been better.

It's probably not a 31 point loss but we still would have been screwed out of the Rose Bowl.

What leads you to believe Montez would have thrown an immediate Pick 6 and a second INT setting up a layup TD? Those two instant turnovers completely killed their momentum. It was still anyone's game after the half and maybe Browning starts pressing more throwing an INT.

What leads you to believe Montez would have thrown an immediate Pick 6 and a second INT setting up a layup TD? Those two instant turnovers completely killed their momentum. It was still anyone's game after the half and maybe Browning starts pressing more throwing an INT.
Momentum only exists in physics. Pics or not, our receivers couldn't get separation because we couldn't establish a consistent run. We couldn't stop their run game either, and pics have no impact on our defenses ability to stop the run.

5cf0a238880cf93e6eea80adb9ac07e3.gif

There are reasonable arguments on both sides for what happened on Friday night. I am NOT assuming Montez would been better, but the question is fair.
I completely agree. All I've been saying is the decision was a toss-up, and the coaches went with experience. Everything else is pure speculation.

our wideouts need to continue moving when a play breaks down.....so many times when our qb is flushed out of the pocket or on the move they just stop dead in their tracks

To me, it's really simple. He earned the right to play no doubt. Is the question fair? It absolutely is. I don't think you could've kept Sefo off the field though. Dude is a baller. We've been lucky to have him.

Maybe it's time to retire this thread and focus on the bowl game?
get it out of here Mods. we have ONE more game with Sefo at the helm. Lets get through it and approach this bowl game with a positive angle. Sefo should be rested and healed up by game time. Lets stand Shoulder to Shoulder with him and the coaches this one last game.

I watched the game on DVR on Saturday afternoon. When Montez did play, although he sometimes did move the ball well, I saw him having to run around to avoid getting sacked. To me, it appeared the problem was a combination of a not-100% starting QB and an underperforming OL.

I watched the game on DVR on Saturday afternoon. When Montez did play, although he sometimes did move the ball well, I saw him having to run around to avoid getting sacked. To me, it appeared the problem was a combination of a not-100% starting QB and an underperforming OL.
And maybe playing a very good defense?

Coaches seem inclined to never let us or Montez figure out whether Montez is any good. Feel like we've wasted several opportunities for him to grow. At least let him play when the game is basically over and not risk Sefo.
Huh? Montez has played a ton this year, and not just in garbage time. The coached have a pretty good grasp on what he can do.

I agree with others, time to let it go. CU got a bowl, and a good one at that. Most of us would have been ecstatic to know CU was going bowling in August, and the Alamo Bowl is a solid outcome. Sefo has one more game as a Buff, let's send him out with a big win. He deserves the support of the fans, the dude is tough as nails and a great Buff.

Back