What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NY Times Article

Denver_sc

Club Member
Club Member
So... are we gonna talk about this or nah?

At Colorado, a Breach in Football Wall

FYI this is different than the one yesterday about Ryan Harris. I'm super excited that Shoemaker and Kroll's grandstanding got them the level of attention that they were seeking (actually this is probably better than their wildest dreams).

Recall all Regents.

Just saw this on my google feed, such BS

I am guessing they are trying to divert the attention from recommending a Mike Pence want to be for the new president

Seems to me we are in the infancy of understanding CTE, it’s causes and prevention. Like I’ve said before, science needs to develop the technology to diagnose living human beings. Just think how huge it would be if they could scan players to determine if they have lesions or not.

There isn't any question that there is a solid connection between football and CTE. What gets ignored is that there is a solid connection between CTE and almost all sports that involve rapid changes in direction and the potential for the head to make contact with another object. Soccer players, basketball players, etc. all have elevated potential for CTE.

My daughter took up competitive mountain biking last year. At the end of the season she got a team award for being the one who most frequently pushed herself to the point of flying off the bike, brushing the gravel out of the wounds, and jumping back on again. We keep her in a helmet but yes the potential for concussion is certainly there. The risk is well worth the benefit she gets from participation.

The mentality of elimination of all risk though is a faulty one. We already are a nation that suffers from to much inactivity. Our life expectancy is already shorter because we are overly sedentary. Playing in the band and doing drama isn't going to help that any.

We are making steps in the right direction. The move towards "rugby" tackling is a huge step. It may be that the best helmet may be one not designed for hitting.

Getting rid of football though is not the right answer. I still believe that most of those who advocate for it are the ones who were jealous because their particular endeavor is one that the public doesn't care about.

This is an absolutely bull**** line:

"Unfortunately, Tucker, who came from the University of Georgia, runs a football program that has seen at least a half-dozen former players including several who played in the N.F.L. kill themselves."

The author can go **** himself.

Two Democratic Regents who want to kill the football program. The dems are the gift that just keeps giving, in all facets of life.

Two Democratic Regents who want to kill the football program. The dems are the gift that just keeps giving, in all facets of life.
Are you someone who frequently tries to insert politics into non-political threads? I don’t know enough of your posting history to comment.

The real problem stems from the general nature of certain people who believe it's their job to tell others how to live their lives. It's not a political thing, as this mentality comes from both sides of the isle, and it's a damn shame.

Also, unless I missed another quote from Kroll, I actually agree with the one from him that was in the article about providing insurance and health care for the players.

Are you someone who frequently tries to insert politics into non-political threads? I don’t know enough of your posting history to comment.

The truth is the truth in this case.

The most destructive Regents to CU football have been democrats - that's not an accident. Shoemaker, Kroll, Lesley Smith, Cindy Carlisle, etc. If Democrats can get control of the BOR, I fully expect a group of them to make a proposal to eliminate football at CU. They three stooges on the BOR now don't support the football program at all right now - that's why politics matter in this case.

The most destructive Regents to CU football have been democrats - that's not an accident. Shoemaker, Kroll, Lesley Smith, Cindy Carlisle, etc. If Democrats can get control of the BOR, I fully expect a group of them to make a proposal to eliminate football at CU. They three stooges on the BOR now don't support the football program at all right now - that's why politics matter in this case.
Jesus Christ. The only people I know in person who are hardcore anti-football are conservative Republicans.

The republicans are just the gift that keeps on giving, in all facets of life.

Two articles in two days from the NYTimes about CU Football? It looks like they are trying to paint CU in this horrible light and that we don't take player safety seriously? CU seems to be one of the more proactive programs with concussion prevention and protection. Annoying to see this guy taking shots at CU and not pointing out that this is an issue across the country and not at one university.

This is an absolutely bull**** line:

"Unfortunately, Tucker, who came from the University of Georgia, runs a football program that has seen at least a half-dozen former players including several who played in the N.F.L. kill themselves."

The author can go **** himself.
What is that quote even supposed to mean? I assume the number (half dozen) were not all coached by Tucker in his 3 years there. Were any even? That comes real close to blaming Tucker for those guys committing suicide which is disgusting.

What is that quote even supposed to mean? I assume the number (half dozen) were not all coached by Tucker in his 3 years there. Were any even? That comes real close to blaming Tucker for those guys committing suicide which is disgusting.
Exactly. Cleaned up/ worded better, it reads and insinuates "Tucker runs a program that has seen several people kill themselves." Absolutely garbage "journalism" and the writer should (but won't) get harshly disciplined for this sloppy, accusatory bull****.

Jesus Christ. The only people I know in person who are hardcore anti-football are conservative Republicans.

The republicans are just the gift that keeps on giving, in all facets of life.

Hey - if you are too obtuse to see the obvious, I can't help you.

You must have missed the fact that the latest hit job on CU football is by two idiot DEMOCRATS on the CU BOR, with an agenda to shut the program down. Also, another dumbass Dem, Lesley Smith, would fall right-in-line.

Without the Republican majority on the BOR, CU football would be in deep doo-doo.

You must have missed the fact that the latest hit job on CU football is by two idiot DEMOCRATS on the CU BOR, with an agenda to shut the program down. Also, another dumbass Dem, Lesley Smith, would fall right-in-line.

Without the Republican majority on the BOR, CU football would be in deep doo-doo.
I always put a lot of stock in the opinions of those who use the term "deep doo-doo" to articulate their stance.

Poor, old Jack Kroll. His grandstanding gets him a mention in a NY Times article ... but the author doesn't even know his name and calls him John instead of Jack.

Can we get your thoughts on football and CTE, as well as the link between concussions and suicide in non-football playing individuals?

And proposed solutions to make the game safer?

Thanks.

My point is completely flying over your head. And I mean completely. Try again and bring it back up in the politics board if you like. See you over there.

Might as well go ahead and get rid of women's soccer and basketball as well. In my program, concussions in those two sports dwarf the numbers suffered by football players 3 to 1.

Exactly. Cleaned up/ worded better, it reads and insinuates "Tucker runs a program that has seen several people kill themselves." Absolutely garbage "journalism" and the writer should (but won't) get harshly disciplined for this sloppy, accusatory bull****.

Politics aside, the NYT has become garbage journalism! Unfortunately politics and most interactions outside of those that are one on one, have become garbage too.

Things have changed a lot to make football much safer, primarily within the last 10 years. CTE is usually the result of repeated trauma over time that has an additive effect. In addition, it can take decades for the damage to present itself. The doom and gloom data we are seeing now largely reflects how football was played, and the equipment that was used, decades ago. I am an old fart that luckily still has a semi-functional brain, but when I was playing, the concussion protocol involved smelling salts and going back in the game or practice the next play. It was not unusual to take 2 or 3 hits to the head each game hard enough to "see stars". I suspect the incidence of CTE in ex-football players is going to go way down, but it is going to take 20-30 years before we have solid data to prove it.

Also may not be accurate to call the piece an "article" which implies that it is a balanced piece of journalism investigating a particular subject.

It reads much more like an opinion piece, a column in which the author come in with a particular viewpoint and spends his efforts trying to justify that that viewpoint.

What can't be taken into consideration from a scientific standpoint with the suicides is the effect that leaving the game has on the psyche of a lot of guys. For almost all players who make it to the NFL and have an average career, football is all they've ever known, and leaving the bright lights, fame, popularity, feelings and emotions that come along with playing in front of 75k people 16+ times/year can be too much to overcome for many. Chad Brown was talking about Junior Seau yesterday and how he really struggled with the transition away from football and Chad believes that played a major role in his suicide.

This is something that only the guys who played can really understand, and it's not an aspect that the general public and anti-football community cares to even consider when discussing this topic.

Poor, old Jack Kroll. His grandstanding gets him a mention in a NY Times article ... but the author doesn't even know his name and calls him John instead of Jack.
I caught that too, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't mistaken before I called it out. His actual name is "John" and he recently changed his profile page to reflect his desire to be called John now instead of Jack:

https://www.cu.edu/regents/meet-regents/view-all-regents/john-kroll

i wonder why?

Back