What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Observations so far....

I think I know where you're headed with this, and I may have thought the same.

LT-Miller
LG-Irwin
C-Lynott
RG-Kough
RT-Haigler

???
It will be really interesting to see if we come out with Irwin at LT or at a guard position. I know I'd open up with what I thought was the best shot for success, and then perhaps experiment once I'd established a good sample size. Thus, I'd guess that we see the same lineup, but with Irwin at LT. But if we see a change, it will be Miller at LT and Irwin inside (not at center).

It will be really interesting to see if we come out with Irwin at LT or at a guard position. I know I'd open up with what I thought was the best shot for success, and then perhaps experiment once I'd established a good sample size. Thus, I'd guess that we see the same lineup, but with Irwin at LT. But if we see a change, it will be Miller at LT and Irwin inside (not at center).

1. Something with the OL hasn't been working. Got to try anything and everything to fix that.

2. Even though we're playing for 2017 with a contending team and every decision needs to be based on that... as fans when we look ahead to 2018 it would be an ideal situation if we returned our starters at C and both OT spots. I'm much more confident in inexperienced guys being able to step up to start at OG versus OT or C.

1. Something with the OL hasn't been working. Got to try anything and everything to fix that.

2. Even though we're playing for 2017 with a contending team and every decision needs to be based on that... as fans when we look ahead to 2018 it would be an ideal situation if we returned our starters at C and both OT spots. I'm much more confident in inexperienced guys being able to step up to start at OG versus OT or C.
Would have been nice to have Irwin for the first two games to sort this mess out...

IMO, the OL has two problems, but I would rather not comment here.

We will probably see a lot of combinations this weekend. Love the idea of Miller at LT and Irwin at LG.

Thought that between Montez and the WRs...they read way too munch into their press clippings heading into the season....and it shows. They seem to lack the edge it takes to be focused and efficient...a little to "relaxed".....we shall see. But the naming of the WR group...and Montez saying publicly stuff like "I feel like I am the best player on the field" were a concern that has panned out. Doubtful you would ever hear Tom Brady echo praise upon himself...dude knows he is the best in football...doesn't have to say anything....lets his play do the talking. Hopefully they step up their game for UW....
I read the first sentence and thought I was getting set up for a post full of puns.

Disappointed that munching on press clippings was just a typo.

I think I know where you're headed with this, and I may have thought the same.

LT-Miller
LG-Irwin
C-Lynott
RG-Kough
RT-Haigler

???

I'm curious. Why would you disrupt Kough by moving him to RG? Why not just put Irwin in to Lynott's vacated spot?

Update to above.
Special Teams have been very good.
Montez still playing with "high school feet". If he doesn't get this down quickly, I'm not sure he's our best option. Serious. This has been a disaster.
Running game has been broken.
Defense - very solid. Assignment correct. Collier is killing it (was held blatantly twice last week, or he gets two more sacks).
Leo Jackson needs a nickname. He's been a beast.
Worthington also impressing.

I'm more positive on Montez than you are, I've seen some good things from him last year and this.

Your comment on the feet is good though. The last two weeks he missed multiple open receivers with passes that should have been TDs because he was throwing without having his feet set.

At least a part of this is because the OL simply hasn't done the job. He has been under constant enough pressure that he doesn't show comfort setting and throwing with good mechanics.

You list of positives is good. One that most would miss is Gamboa. He hasn't been spectacular but he has been very solid, very steady. His intelligent play and high effort level has allowed others to shine.

I never thought Huckins had the power to play center. He constantly gets bulldozed over throughout his entire career.

Yeah. He played right guard for two plays against Stanford last year and was destroyed by 92. On the first play he sacked Sefo, on the 2nd play Phillip stood 92 up.

We have come a long ways as a team but in some positions we are still seeing the effects of recruiting G5 level athletes. Irwin has developed into a stud, healthy he will factor in an NFL camp next year.

From him up until we see Lynott, Miller, Haigler come in we were recruiting OL who were not in demand by other P5 programs. How many top P5 programs rely on multiple OL who are Soph level or below in eligibility?

Lynott is already a player. I think a number of the younger OL are going to be quality P5 starters but other than Irwin where are the difference makers in the Sr. and Jr class on the OL.

The immaturity on the OL is harder to cover than a lot of other positions because the physical maturity is so important. I still think a guy like Miller is potentially a very good OT. He did well when called on last week but he is still developing physically into a P5 level OL. (And has been delayed as well by some terrible luck in his health, I really hope for his sake and ours he is finally healthy and stays that way.)

We have also had similar issue in recruiting P5 level athletes on the DL but have been able to fill in with some solid JC guys.

Back