What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Offensive Line development and depth

buffaholic

Club Member
Club Member
So nice to have developed not just starters, but quality depth. We've had Callahan replace Irwin, Huckins replace Kough, Weifels replace Huckins, Kronshage replace Haigler (and vice versa). These sort of injuries have killed us in the past. That's 9 guys playing at a pretty high level. That's something we haven't had in more than 10 years. And the foundation is laid for the future.

Seems like the same is true for most of the positions. Guys are learning and honing their craft. They are building their bodies and when it's their time, they are ready.

Miller missed most of the season with a knee, but is now back.
Lisella has been fighting his thing. A lot of the young guys look solid. Now we have guys coming in for '17 with even more ready bodies or more talent perhaps. There is competition at least 3 deep.

This has been a process that started with a pretty good group of guys that Steve Marshall had recruited (Kelley, Kronshage, Kough, Irwin, LIsella and Huckins). It's crazy to think we only lose Kelley. The competition of the younger guys who've been on campus a couple years is going to create some battles this spring.

Nice post.

OL has vastly improved and only looks to be getting better.

I expect to have one of the best OLs in the Pac-12 in 2017.

Totally agree with OP because the lack of depth on the OL seems like it has been a problem since Barnett's era.

That being said, I think we finally have depth at a lot of positions. Though Ento only had 2 catches both were fir 1st downs and at least one was on a long 3rd down. I thought Fisher played well after Laguda got ejected. That stop on 4th down was huge.

2017 Offensive Linemen (assuming no attrition):

Seniors: Jeromy Irwin, Gerrad Kough, Sam Kronshage, Jonathan Huckins, Colin Sutton
Juniors: Josh Kaiser, John Lisella
Sophomores: Tim Lynott, Aaron Haigler, Isaac Miller, Dillon Middlemiss
RS-Frosh: Hunter Vaughn
Freshmen: Colby Pursell (GS), Chance Lytle (GS), Jake Moretti, Xavier Newman, Will Sherman, Grant Polley, Heston Paige

I wouldn't mind a JUCO added into that junior class to complete this year's recruiting in order to balance things out and add a vet. Otherwise, we're pretty well set.

Totally agree with OP because the lack of depth on the OL seems like it has been a problem since Barnett's era.

That being said, I think we finally have depth at a lot of positions. Though Ento only had 2 catches both were fir 1st downs and at least one was on a long 3rd down. I thought Fisher played well after Laguda got ejected. That stop on 4th down was huge.
I thought Fisher played pretty well too, but he got burned/fooled on that run to the right that went 30 yards, he sucked up too much and took himself out of position. I love his passion though, he was fired up out there! He'll just keep getting better, many guys are like that on this team, and it's exciting.

Adams is doing a great job. And props to Mac for the reassignment. Good coaches make good hires, and Helfrich hired Hoak as a comparison.

Weird feeling good about OL depth. I feel good about depth in many positions...RB, DL and LB still ? for me.

2017 Offensive Linemen (assuming no attrition):

Seniors: Jeromy Irwin, Gerrad Kough, Sam Kronshage, Jonathan Huckins, Colin Sutton
Juniors: Josh Kaiser, John Lisella
Sophomores: Tim Lynott, Aaron Haigler, Isaac Miller, Dillon Middlemiss
RS-Frosh: Hunter Vaughn
Freshmen: Colby Pursell (GS), Chance Lytle (GS), Jake Moretti, Xavier Newman, Will Sherman, Grant Polley, Heston Paige

I wouldn't mind a JUCO added into that junior class to complete this year's recruiting in order to balance things out and add a vet. Otherwise, we're pretty well set.
I think it's a pretty safe bet that Irwin declares for the NFL. I would expect that Lynott moves to center, and hopefully anchors our line there for the next 3 years. I hope the line is as good as we think it will be next year because that will make it a whole lot easier for Montez to grow into the QB role. I like what we've seen from Montez but I think we are going to miss Sefo a lot next year. Experience at the QB position, when you aren't a phenom talent-wise, is a big deal. Remember when Sefo pissed away a scoring chance at the end of the 1st half against UCLA 2 years ago? Anyone think that would have happened this year? No way.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Irwin declares for the NFL. I would expect that Lynott moves to center, and hopefully anchors our line there for the next 3 years. I hope the line is as good as we think it will be next year because that will make it a whole lot easier for Montez to grow into the QB role. I like what we've seen from Montez but I think we are going to miss Sefo a lot next year. Experience at the QB position, when you aren't a phenom talent-wise, is a big deal. Remember when Sefo pissed away a scoring chance at the end of the 1st half against UCLA 2 years ago? Anyone think that would have happened this year? No way.

Offense is in really good shape. Some questions at QB and TE. A little reshuffle on the OL as Lynott moves to C and maybe Kronshage at LT if Irwin declares along with Huckins penciled in at RG if he can hold off competition. Regardless, we'll have 5 very experienced starters on the OL. Question is really how quickly and effectively we can develop that depth.

Retention and Development! Especially now that we have a real S&C coach.
The retention part of that has been dismissed from some on here, but it's been huge. At various points, at least 2 OL starters I know about had decided they didn't want to keep playing. Coach Mac got them back in the fold.

The retention part of that has been dismissed from some on here, but it's been huge. At various points, at least 2 OL starters I know about had decided they didn't want to keep playing. Coach Mac got them back in the fold.
If I remember correctly, I think Mac mentions one of those in The Rise episode #4. I want to say it was when he was talking about Kronshage.

Irwin really needs to come back next year if he wants to solidify a position in the draft. Very likely he would not get drafted this year. Unfortunate for him, as if he had stayed healthy he likely would be on the board as a very high pick.

I think Wiefels spelled Kelley some at C earlier this season too. I'm not so sure Irwin is back next year but a 12 - 2 season may convince him to come back.

With 7 new OLs incoming next season do some of them get playing time early on ST to balance the class a bit? Move 2 or 3 up to become classmates of Hunter Vaughn?

Lytle and Pursell are actually grayshirts, so technically late enrollees.

True. The really good thing is that with the walk ons and the 3 January enrollees we should be able to run spring practices with 3 complete OLs. Makes a big difference in how much work the team can get in.

Good news get em on the Human Growth Hormone and the S&C regimen 8 months early. By next fall, they will be beasts

Offense is in really good shape. Some questions at QB and TE. A little reshuffle on the OL as Lynott moves to C and maybe Kronshage at LT if Irwin declares along with Huckins penciled in at RG if he can hold off competition. Regardless, we'll have 5 very experienced starters on the OL. Question is really how quickly and effectively we can develop that depth.
TE? If we have one his number is seldom called, definitely an area of opportunity

Speaking of improved o-line play, I'm actually really excited about who we replace Benardi with. The move of Adams was great, and I can't wait to see who HCMM hires.

Back