What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Offensive Line Play

some guys look the part but don't have the heart or ability. plenty of good sized guys can't really play. we have a few of em

I've re-watched all the games in painful agony and our O-Line play has been inconsistent. One missed block screws it all up. I wouldn't put it down as lacking "want" by the line. They want to hit someone, they are just missing or they are missing an assignment (two guys on one DT, while a LB runs right by them).... We don't get a great push though in general. Solder and Givens are underfed imo. 6'9" is a big frame, but if you aren't packing 350 on it, you are just a tall lanky dude.

I've re-watched all the games in painful agony and our O-Line play has been inconsistent. One missed block screws it all up. I wouldn't put it down as lacking "want" by the line. They want to hit someone, they are just missing or they are missing an assignment (two guys on one DT, while a LB runs right by them).... We don't get a great push though in general. Solder and Givens are underfed imo. 6'9" is a big frame, but if you aren't packing 350 on it, you are just a tall lanky dude.

Yeah... most of them are still pretty young, so I'm hoping they can pack on the pounds. Lots of those guys have NFL body-types, so if they can get the weight and develop their talent, then they could be something special.

:lol:

I can name plenty of kids who never realized their potential, but it really doesn't support his point. If you think coaches recruit players based primarily on size you're wrong.

I didn't say "primarily" and I don't think west coast did either.

I'm sure no kid has ever been offered a D-1 scholarship based solely on a coach looking up his height and weight on a roster sheet.

I do think it happens from time to time, with O-lineman, that a coach will take a gamble on a kid who has the size even if he's not the most athletic or skilled player, hoping the player turns out to be a late-bloomer, skill-wise. Size is the one thing that can't be taught, after all.

*I'm not necessarily saying that any of our current players fit this description.

:lol:

I can name plenty of kids who never realized their potential, but it really doesn't support his point. If you think coaches recruit players based primarily on size you're wrong.

My wife recruited me for my ...size......

I agree with you 100%, coaches look for various things, not just how big you are.

Back