What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Offensive Playcalling

C-DubBuff93

Is it just me or is the damn jet sweep action becoming our staple? I know its early in the season but i'd like to get some more variance in playcalling. Also, why dont we try some more vertical routes down the field, then the couple times a game with our receivers? Also, why is KD on the outside he should be a slot receiver used like devin was last year. Put Kabion out there! Especially in the redzone dont use KD or JMac as the outside target inside the 10!

*as a note* i am very happy with being 4-0 just wanted to feel if anyone else was thinking these things!

Have heard a lot of folks complain about KD on the outside running deep. I think they like his speed and could care less about his height. As to the jet sweep it is used to set up everything else. The ole get em going one way then go the other routine if you will.

Shenault will continue to give opposing D Coordinators and players fits. Gotta love it when he blows up 5 guys and goes for 6 more yards for a first down.

We use the jet sweep quite a few times, but I don't know I'd call it a staple...we've done lots of running between the tackles too. KD on the outside for speed makes sense on the surface, but it seems every time he gets thrown to him deep he is really well covered.

Since we are getting so creative with Viska's positioning, it's hard to keep KD in the slot if we want him on the field. Still agree that for some reason our wide receiver use/rotation isn't where I'd want it to be as an outside fan.

Would love to see Winfree return from injury verse USC and pull the same double move he did last year to leave the CB searching for his jock. IMO there's not a more crucial person we need back on the team going into this stretch. The ability gap between him and Viska in the time they got last year was extremely minimal

Is it just me or is the damn jet sweep action becoming our staple? I know its early in the season but i'd like to get some more variance in playcalling. Also, why dont we try some more vertical routes down the field, then the couple times a game with our receivers? Also, why is KD on the outside he should be a slot receiver used like devin was last year. Put Kabion out there! Especially in the redzone dont use KD or JMac as the outside target inside the 10!

*as a note* i am very happy with being 4-0 just wanted to feel if anyone else was thinking these things!
If you put KD ondidecwith JMac, where do you put Viska?

There is no good explanation for continuing to send Nixon deep on sideline routes. Really low percentage throws and does not put much pressure on defenses.

To be fair, one of those thrown to KD last week was on a defensive offsides call and Montez was clearly just throwing it long on the off chance KD could pull it in. Chev is not an idiot, either KD gets open on that route in practice or they're using to clear out a safety for an underneath route.

There is no good explanation for continuing to send Nixon deep on sideline routes. Really low percentage throws and does not put much pressure on defenses.
I would have to agree with you. Montez needs to better recognize if that play is open, and when it’s not, move on with his progression.

When are we going to see the te down the middle?

His name is escaping me right now (think he was maybe a CO kid), but who was the converted TE we had who bridged the Embree/Mac years? I remember a few nice long seem passes to him...and he was by no means a receiver, more of a blocking TE.

Point being, if he can do it, Russell or Bounds can as well. Russell reminds me of Invincible, love those walk-ons with heart, let him make some plays

To be fair, one of those thrown to KD last week was on a defensive offsides call and Montez was clearly just throwing it long on the off chance KD could pull it in. Chev is not an idiot, either KD gets open on that route in practice or they're using to clear out a safety for an underneath route.
If he was getting space it would be different, but both last week and the previous game they targeted him deep and he was smothered by much taller DBs. They need to get him in one on one matchups in the middle of the field so he can show his shiftiness and speed with the ball.

KD on the outside is definitely the one trend that is very problematic. His size limitations make it so guys don't even have to respect the deep routes, despite his speed....and a fade will never, ever, not once ever, work with KD. So, please, put him in the slot and teach him not to dance so much.

His name is escaping me right now (think he was maybe a CO kid), but who was the converted TE we had who bridged the Embree/Mac years? I remember a few nice long seem passes to him...and he was by no means a receiver, more of a blocking TE.

Point being, if he can do it, Russell or Bounds can as well. Russell reminds me of Invincible, love those walk-ons with heart, let him make some plays
Nick Kasa

I had the same question why KD was the threat on the outside. My buddy who just graduated after his fifth year on the team told me I was nuts and he was dynamic enough it was a good idea.

Looked to me that those deep balls by Montez would have had a chance with a bigger dude.

Back