What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

*** Official 2015 CBI Gardner-Webb @ Colorado Basketball Game Thread ***

Looks like they're coming to Seattle again. Missed the UW game, but I'll be at this one ... let's make it a 2015 Seattle sweep!

Last edited:
Collier and Miller are really playing well. Hard not to like Miller, he's got some pep in his step.

Obviously Scott is best player on the floor. Nice to see him finishing the season like this.

Every single time the Buffs pressed they got scored on. Usually an open 3. Looks like they're trying something new by putting Scott on the ball and trapping but it hasn't worked. Some teams just don't have it in them to fly around and press. CU is not a pressing team.

Hopkins or Fletcher need to be the guy on the ball. Didn't understand the plan while watching it live.

Last edited:
Didn't listen to the postgame, or even read this thread, but Eli's gone right? Started, didn't play for most of the game, but came back in at the end.

I wondered why Dom wasn't starting as in my book he's earned serious playing time. He's been late eight times to shoot around this season? That's an issue. He's gonna be an awesome player sometime down the line, it would be a same to see him slow down his own progress.

When he's on the court the ball moves better and the Buffs seem to get good looks. He has a unique ability to get the ball to teammates at the right moment and place. CU has no other player with those skills.

As for the game v G-W, it was a microcosm of many of this season's games; the Buffs couldn't defend the trey and at the same time were able to own the interior and the boards. If this group learns to play defense as a team they'll be pretty good. But it has to be as a team. One continuous issue is allowing dribble penetration and then not rotating quickly enough. Tonight many of G-W's treys came when their point guard was able to quickly dribble towards the basket and then whip a pass to an teammate on the perimeter. This isn't the first game where this has happened.

Josh was a man amoung boys in the interior. And Tory Miller was also aggressive in getting points in the paint.

I think it is 8 times this season somebody has been late to shoot around, not Dom being late 8 times.

I am not trying to be a dick but lets be realistic here - llook at the times we have decent assist totals.

we alll get worked up about it being a sign, the sign is that the other team doesnt play defense.

OK - I'll look at the times you speak of...

Our wins on the scoreboard correlate very closely with our Assist Edge.
We lost every game except the USC double OT game when we had fewer than 10 assists.
We won every game when we won the assist total.

We lost every game except the USC double OT game when we had fewer than 10 assists.

Who had double the assist rate compared to the rest of the team?

Who had double the assist rate compared to the rest of the team?

87005-6278107Fr.jpg

Not wild about likely going on the road now, but I guess we want to save some money. We probably aren't going to win this tournament if it's going to require us playing road games from here on out. Someone will beat us on their home court. We're the one major conference program in the field. We've got the target on our back.

Seattle is a much slower paced team than Gardner-Webb, it seems. Struggle on offense but stingy on D. They're a good team at home. One really good guard, another decent one. Seems like we should be able to dominate in the post. I'd be completely comfortable in winning this game if it was played in Boulder, but I just do not trust CU on the road. Big opportunity for our younger guys to show a major step up in maturity by beating a team we should beat on the road. One step at a time. Beat Seattle!

All totally fair points we also were much better against bad teams and had a habit of losing to good ones. My point was that if a team defended well and limited our points at the rim we had fewer assists and generally lost. Against poor defensive squads we averaged more assists and generally won. I think the assist are an outfllow of who we are playing and not the team sharing the ball more or less. I dont think this season sharing the ball resulted in us winning, I think playing ****ty defensive squads was a larger contributor.

UW is a good example of this with upshaw protecting the rim they could gamble play solid defense and were a very effective first half defensive squad - first time we played we lost and had 8 assists. Once he was suspended their defense fell apart, they could not protect the rim and we had more assists and won.

So lets not get ahead of ourselves llike we did after wazzu when while playing a bad defensive team we got a few assists, especially when that team couldnt protect the rim.

we also won every game we scored more points than then the opponent

I'm less concerned with assists than I am with turnovers. Good ball movement resulting in taking good shots doesn't alway mean that you're getting a lot of assists. Cases in point, neither Nate nor Mayor were high assist guys but they did break down defenses and get the ball to guys in good position to make a play.

Taking care of the ball is my big thing. With the rebounding CU does so well at, we're getting extra possessions there. If the Buffs can keep turnovers down, we'll see extra possessions from that too. This year, we have had 436 turnovers in 33 games for a 13.2 average. I think a reasonable target for next season is to get that down under 11. If that happens, we're looking at a little over 2 extra possessions a game which translates into 2 or 3 extra points along with eliminating a couple transition opportunities for the opponent. Very impactful to the final score.

I'm less concerned with assists than I am with turnovers. Good ball movement resulting in taking good shots doesn't alway mean that you're getting a lot of assists. Cases in point, neither Nate nor Mayor were high assist guys but they did break down defenses and get the ball to guys in good position to make a play.

Taking care of the ball is my big thing. With the rebounding CU does so well at, we're getting extra possessions there. If the Buffs can keep turnovers down, we'll see extra possessions from that too. This year, we have had 436 turnovers in 33 games for a 13.2 average. I think a reasonable target for next season is to get that down under 11. If that happens, we're looking at a little over 2 extra possessions a game which translates into 2 or 3 extra points along with eliminating a couple transition opportunities for the opponent. Very impactful to the final score.
I'm much more concerned with the Turnover:Assist ratio. I think that tells a lot more of the story than either one by themselves.

Back