What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 All-in-One Assistant Coaches Compendium Thread - hagan in, bernardi to te, adams ol -

I put a lot of stock in BnG's premise, since he's one of about 3 people among us that actually played D1 ball, that it will more difficult to attract a high quality assistant because the current head coach likely has one year left and everyone knows it. So, do you take this job with an annual renewal and no buyout only to move again in a year? Or do you stay in the G5 with a multi year offer that has a buyout and wait for the next chance? I guess it depends on what position your offered on the staff and wether your married and so forth.

I am sure that you are right that MM will attract *someone*. The $64,000 question is will that *someone* represent an actual quality upgrade? My suspicion is it will be some young gun like Lindgren getting to learn his job on our dime. We were extraordinarily lucky to get Leavitt and getting him had a lot to do with how things went for him at the end with the 49ers and his baggage from USF.

The coaching world likely has every bit of doubt about MM that we have and then some.

Let's remember this when we see who is announced for the staff. We'll find out.

Let's remember this when we see who is announced for the staff. We'll find out.

I agree. I think we will know a lot more after the hire. Maybe we tap the NFL keg again. Though I hope not because Id like to see us get someone that can affect the current recruiting cycle.

Think Bob Stitt is bored after an 8-4 year at Montana and wants to get creative back in the rockies?

I know very little about the coaching element of college football...I just want someone creative who can match the passion of HCMM and Leavitt (and will stick to a 2-back rotation). Fun offense = recruits.

Upgrading the current staff should not be that hard.
We did it last year with the defensive staff. We should be able to do it again on offense, special teams, etc.

Plus, and this is probably more like what you meant, the bar hasn't exactly been set high with the current folks.

"My suspicion is it will be some young gun like Lindgren getting to learn his job on our dime. We were extraordinarily lucky to get Leavitt and getting him had a lot to do with how things went for him at the end with the 49ers and his baggage from USF."

IMO we've already paid our dime. Let's see what lessons have been learned. Although lightning can strike twice in the same place it rarely does so with the frequency that we're hoping for. Keep Lindgren.

Walters, Bernardi, Neinas, and Jeffcoat should be replaced if recruiting capability is increased.

This is a combination of limited memory (I've been drinking a lot during games the past few years) and pure speculation, but I really think Lindgren did call screens with Sefo before this year (that's the limited memory part).

Which then makes me wonder: did he not work with him during the off-season to try and improve those throws? Is that his job? These actually aren't rhetorical questions; I honestly don't know who is supposed to work with the QBs to improve their abilities. It could be different people, one for physical skills (mechanics, footwork, etc), and another one for the "mental" parts (reading a defense, game management, etc). Either way, if Lindgren is directly responsible for either of those, the results to date are not promising, as the only QB improvement I've seen could reasonably be attributed entirely to improved strength, increased familiarity with the playbook and game experience (and even game experience hasn't been used appropriately in terms of developing QBs).

Yes someone did work with Sefo on mechanics. They had a segment on his improved mechanics during a broadcast of one of the games early in this season. UMass maybe. They did a video comparison of Sefo throwing to his left without any knee bend in 2014 and then the new and improved Sefo completing a pass to his left with "proper" knee bend. I believe that he reverted to 2014 form after injuries and sacks started piling up.

May you be consigned to the depths of hell for this. May you watch bubble screens on 3rd and 9 for all eternity.

I'll take that over go routes to possession receivers, fly sweeps inside the 10, fade routes to receivers who can't catch.....I'm sure I'm missing a fair amount of Lindgren's other greatest hits. I don't get the dislike for Watson (especially after some of the guys who have been OC here since-including the genius who currently holds the job), but thats not my main point. Bigger thing is this-Brian Lindgren needs to go. I knocked his play calling last year, and you guys mocked me. I hate to say it, but I told you so. His unit was the reason why we went 4-9. JL got the defense to a point that would have allowed the team to take the step forward IMO (I felt 31 ppg-we averaged 27, and 32ish if you don't count Nicholls). Yet, there are still Lindgren backers on here. Can you come up with reasons he should stay that don't involve "potential" or "injuries" (if you have a bad offensive line, you need to find a way to compensate for it) or "its going to be too hard to hire a play-caller with MM on the hot seat going into next year"?

"My suspicion is it will be some young gun like Lindgren getting to learn his job on our dime. We were extraordinarily lucky to get Leavitt and getting him had a lot to do with how things went for him at the end with the 49ers and his baggage from USF."

IMO we've already paid our dime. Let's see what lessons have been learned. Although lightning can strike twice in the same place it rarely does so with the frequency that we're hoping for. Keep Lindgren.

Walters, Bernardi, Neinas, and Jeffcoat should be replaced if recruiting capability is increased.
Why Walters?? Seems that he is an excellent position coach and recruits fairly well.

Hard to believe MacIntyre may fire the vast majority of his staff after three years, if these wish lists are true. Not exactly validating his vision, pedigree or experience level ...

FootballScoop has Naeole remaining at Hawaii.

Hawaii: Rolo will retain offensive line coach Chris Naeole and defensive backs coach Abe Elimimian.

I'll take that over go routes to possession receivers, fly sweeps inside the 10, fade routes to receivers who can't catch.....I'm sure I'm missing a fair amount of Lindgren's other greatest hits. I don't get the dislike for Watson (especially after some of the guys who have been OC here since-including the genius who currently holds the job), but thats not my main point. Bigger thing is this-Brian Lindgren needs to go. I knocked his play calling last year, and you guys mocked me. I hate to say it, but I told you so. His unit was the reason why we went 4-9. JL got the defense to a point that would have allowed the team to take the step forward IMO (I felt 31 ppg-we averaged 27, and 32ish if you don't count Nicholls). Yet, there are still Lindgren backers on here. Can you come up with reasons he should stay that don't involve "potential" or "injuries" (if you have a bad offensive line, you need to find a way to compensate for it) or "its going to be too hard to hire a play-caller with MM on the hot seat going into next year"?

I assure you that i was not one of the people making fun of you for saying lindgren has to go. His ridiculous play calling inside the red zone and his total inability to generate a two minute drill, ever, was what got me permanently off the current staff's bandwagon.

But shawn watson being rehired should not be spoken of, even in jest.

Why Walters?? Seems that he is an excellent position coach and recruits fairly well.

Good question. I had read on here that he was a substandard recruiter. After a quick look on rivals turns out that he seems ok.
Walters recruits:
2015: Patrick Carr, Tim Lynott
2014: Grant Watanabe, Evan White, Terran Hasselbach
2013: Jimmie Gilbert and ???? (incomplete data)

On a side note, Bobby Kennedy really sucked at recruiting in 2012.

Think Bob Stitt is bored after an 8-4 year at Montana and wants to get creative back in the rockies?

I know very little about the coaching element of college football...I just want someone creative who can match the passion of HCMM and Leavitt (and will stick to a 2-back rotation). Fun offense = recruits.
I would take Stitt as our OC in a heartbeat. Something tells me he'd turn the opportunity down though. The guy is going to be a head coach at some MAC or WAC program within the next two years and then warrant a P5 job within another 3 years after that.

I agree. I think we will know a lot more after the hire. Maybe we tap the NFL keg again. Though I hope not because Id like to see us get someone that can affect the current recruiting cycle.

I wouldn't mind tapping the NFL again if it is a guy like the two we grabbed who have solid backgrounds in the college game.

Recruiting contacts are important and a college guy could give us that. On the other hand the right NFL guy, like Leavitt brings a credibility that can get a school like CU in the door when a pure college guy couldn't.

FootballScoop has Naeole remaining at Hawaii.

Hawaii: Rolo will retain offensive line coach Chris Naeole and defensive backs coach Abe Elimimian.

I can't see why anyone would be excited about Naeole. What has he done at UH? Their offensive line wasn't good this year, even against us.

Anybody text Mac mark richt's # yet? Go big or go home. Every day he isn't coaching here is a missed opportunity. Oc of the year

Just read through Howell's chat from today and that seems to be the feeling on which coaches could get replaced.

I've been pretty consistent in thinking that Neinas and Bernardi definitely coached themselves out of a job this year.

Jeffcoat is a guy I went into the season at #2 on my hot seat list after Neinas and now I'm not as negative on him. I still think there are upgrades out there, but I no longer think this is a vital change. I'd be ok either way.

(fwiw, the above lines up pretty much with Howell. And he seems to think Lindgren is probably gone.)

Which brings us to Lindgren. I thought he did a great job in 2014. In 2015, I thought that there were excuses based on OL play and surprising/incomprehensible regression from Sefo killing drives early in the season by not being able to complete passes he'd been hitting for 2 years. I also thought he'd done a good job with game planning and then management, especially by maintaining possession with great pace and number of plays to rest our defense and tire the other team's defense out. But...

1. The offense regressed. They averaged just under 20 ppg in Pac-12 play after averaging just under 30 ppg in 2014. And that's with very few personnel losses and the same staff of offensive assistants.

2. Leavitt opened my eyes. We saw what a change on defense did when you bring in a seasoned professional who can run the staff on his side of the ball, make tweaks in-game, use personnel well, motivate his group, and commit to whatever is working on a particular Saturday. Lindgren looked good when compared to Baer. When compared to Leavitt, it's clear that he's not all that.

3. Hawaii game. I blame Neinas, Bernardi and Lindgren for that loss. That loss defined the season and the team never recovered. Those 3 guys had 12 weeks to make up for it and were unable to. This is the thing that decides it for me and caused me to change my mind without reservation. I'm still pissed to a surreal level about that loss. Lindgren has to go.

In short, MacIntyre needs to go to a bowl game and bring in great recruits for the 2017 class or he is going to either be fired quickly or fail over a longer timeline. Time to sh!t or get off the pot. None of these 4 coaches brings much of anything to recruiting. 3 of them were failures with their coaching this year, too. If MacIntyre wants to be successful here, he replaces at least Neinas, Bernardi and Lindgren. Jeffcoat I'm 50/50 on and I'm sure that HCMM and Leavitt will talk that one through and make a decision I can live with either way.

P.S. I know you all were thinking, "You know what we need? Another thread about staff changes." You're welcome. (y):D:p
1, 2 and 3 are all good. Your summary paragraph is good. Yes, Leavitt opened some eyes to what a Pac 12 level coach can accomplish. I fully agree the Hawaii game set up the season and there wasn't much of a recovery from it. That game was a complete disaster and extremely aggravating. The staff has no excuses for failing to have the team ready for the game that should have been an easy win. Keep in mind it was Leavitt's first game with the defense and its personnel. That brings me back to your point #2. It's good.

I wouldn't mind tapping the NFL again if it is a guy like the two we grabbed who have solid backgrounds in the college game.

Recruiting contacts are important and a college guy could give us that. On the other hand the right NFL guy, like Leavitt brings a credibility that can get a school like CU in the door when a pure college guy couldn't.

The challenge with hiring NFL guys is finding the ones who have a passion for recruiting.

Leavitt is exuding passion and zeal for recruiting. Need more of that. But then again, maybe the others have it too and don't publish it on twitter. Granted twitter is how the youth get info and communicate (for now).

Leavitt (DC & LBs): Improvement across the board on defense and he's got recruiting chops. Keep.

Tumpkin (Safeties): Good recruiter who has done work in FL and got us back into Louisiana. Safeties played well this year. Keep.

Clark (Cornerbacks): Has landed some key recruits and took the initiative to recruit Georgia. His position group was a bright spot. Keep.

Jeffcoat (DLs): Hasn't done much as a recruiter but did seem to have his position group doing ok despite a ton of injuries. 50/50 on this one.

In short, I think you can move forward with the defensive staff and be on a good path. I'm also confident that Leavitt does a good job coaching up his coaches so we'd be fine regardless of if it ends up that a new position coach is brought in or not.

Lindgren (OC & QBs): No recruiting cache and QB development has been mediocre. Doesn't seem to run the offensive staff. More like he's a game planner and play caller. I think we need to bring in at least someone to get a Co-Offensive Coordinator position and manage the offensive staff & sideline substitutions even if Lindgren stays as the primary game planner and the play caller.

Bernardi (OLs): This season from Hawaii through Utah was not up to an acceptable standard. Poor recognition. Poor angles. Lack of fight at times. Bad penalties at bad moments. Bernardi needs to go.

Adams (RBs, FBs & TEs): Solid young coach whose RBs played well and at TE I think we saw Irwin develop a lot this year. I pretty much put him in the Clark camp. Could you upgrade? Maybe. But he's not the problem. I'd like to see reduced position responsibility (see Neinas below).

Walters (WRs & Recruiting Coordinator): I'm not sure why he has been getting a free pass from fans. Fans aren't happy with recruiting, but we don't blame the Recruiting Coordinator. Fans aren't happy with Texas recruiting in particular, but we don't blame the coach who is the main recruiter for Texas. Fans aren't happy with the development of the WRs who aren't named Spruce, but we don't blame the WR coach. I'm not ready to say he has to be fired, but I also don't think it would be much of a loss if he was.

Neinas (ST Coordinator): Poor recruiter and having a dedicated ST Coordinator has not resulted in even average special teams. His group set the tone for the season with the blocked punt at the beginning of the Hawaii game and hasn't looked back. (Same exact mistake repeated itself in another game.) Neinas has to be fired and another coach for the offense needs to be brought in at RB or TE or Inside Receivers or whatever. New guy needs to be a recruiter first.
Ditto

This is a combination of limited memory (I've been drinking a lot during games the past few years) and pure speculation, but I really think Lindgren did call screens with Sefo before this year (that's the limited memory part). Then, this last off-season he looked back, studied the film and found that Sefo had a terrible completion percentage, very low yards per attempt, and a high interception rate with the screens (and/or quick slants), so he essentially expunged them from the playbook (that's the pure speculation part).

Which then makes me wonder: did he not work with him during the off-season to try and improve those throws? Is that his job? These actually aren't rhetorical questions; I honestly don't know who is supposed to work with the QBs to improve their abilities. It could be different people, one for physical skills (mechanics, footwork, etc), and another one for the "mental" parts (reading a defense, game management, etc). Either way, if Lindgren is directly responsible for either of those, the results to date are not promising, as the only QB improvement I've seen could reasonably be attributed entirely to improved strength, increased familiarity with the playbook and game experience (and even game experience hasn't been used appropriately in terms of developing QBs).
The problem with Sefo on screens is that his accuracy is so wildly erratic the receiver/RB was rarely in a position to take advantage of blocking after the catch.

Back